UPSB v4

Serious Discussion / Suicide.

1. Mike
    Date: Wed, Jul 7 2010 00:10:36

What are your ideas? What do you think about people that commit suicide? Why do you think someone would want to end their life? Have you ever contemplated suicide? I don't know when it started for me but I started thinking about it a lot. Just the thought of death has always been intriguing to me, but it scares me at the same time. I always think, why don't I just end it? But at the same time, it's stupid. No matter how bad your life may be or whatever, it's stupid to just give up. If you've hit rock-bottom, you can't go any lower than where you are, then the only direction it can go from there is up, no? Those are just my thoughts, post yours too. I'm curious.

2. Colin
    Date: Wed, Jul 7 2010 01:49:26

1)Its..not good for you. Sometimes I think its just a way for a person to opt out of a problem that they cant fix or deal with. To an extent of course 2)They need help, and probably the reason why theyre going to do it is because they havent gotten any help 3)Personal problems, love problems..coping with a loved one's death..etcetera 4)Yeah, more than once..but as much as i dont want to deal with my problems, I also dont want to die. I have much to live for, as funny as it may seem. I cant fix the problems that Ive created, this is why suicide completely fills my head at points.

3. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Jul 7 2010 03:21:59

What are your ideas? The thought is horrible What do you think about people that commit suicide? I wonder why? And what they were thinking? and that if they only knew more, or had waited they would still be alive. Why do you think someone would want to end their life? There are many reasons, all justifiable but wrong. Have you ever contemplated suicide? Yes Death is something on everyones mind, we push it away while we can to enjoy life. Summer time, when there is nothing to do I find death comes to mind, and I think it's OKAY to think about it now and then, suicide however is irrational, although sometimes you think about it when you hear about someone or know someone whose done it.You have to remember that you are not alone in the world and your life DOES affect others, the idea of suicide can be a very selfish thing, not greedy, but many things in life are selfish. I think it is wrong though. On the radio I heard the story of a girl who was brutally traumatized and raped, and commuted suicide the following day, you can justify it all you want, but life isn't that simple. I personally can't imagine anybody kill themselves. However there are situations which test my morals and ideals and feelings of suicide, for instance, in the occasion of impeding rape torture and death, would it be better to die at one owns hands to save yourself? It also depends on your religion, I myself am Christian, however this situation still troubles me, although very unlikely (hopefully). What COULD you do?. Life changes, things change, nothing is stagnant, suicide does not solve your problems it doesn't get rid of them, you are still there you are still here. imo suicide solves nothing, No one knows what comes after death. I've thought about killing myself just to see or not see, however the prospect this idea of death is still frightening, the very idea of taking your own existence is horrible, and it doesn't take in account others existence and whatever existence you have once you are dead.

4. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Wed, Jul 7 2010 05:07:22

Mike wrote: What are your ideas? What do you think about people that commit suicide? Why do you think someone would want to end their life? Have you ever contemplated suicide?
    MY ANSWERS ARE IN THE SPOILER SO IT WON'T TAKE UP SO MUCH SPACE! thank you lol [SPOILER="my thoughts/answers"]1) You can't take away your life when someone gave it to you. Self destructive behavior, as well as destructive actions in general, is just pointless. What will you gain from it? NOTHING. No matter how bad it gets, even if it's hell on earth, just keep on going. You'll get through it. 2) Some people are too naive. That's never the answer, EVER. What happens if you get through it? Even homeless people just keep on rolling, so why don't you (who has a home, life, etc.)? But, if you have some disorder, then I'd understand why you would commit suicide... although it's still not acceptable. =/ 3) People that commit suicide, unless you have a disorder, cannot accept failure/bad times I guess. They're not used to something "that low." In some cases, I just hate it when some are like "I hate my life cause I failed all my classes and my parents whipped me; I'll kill myself." or "My gf dumped me, so I'll jump off a bridge." These are somewhat extreme, but in these cases, they still have to accept failure/"bad events." It happens, it happens. Life isn't a bed of roses, yet roses even have thorns. You can't cry over spilt milk, it's not gonna come back. and so on. I fail a lot (not academically lol,) but I just pick myself up. BAD THINGS HAVE HAPPENED, and yes these things do always piss me off. However, just keep on going to the end, and it'll turn out. Worse things have happened... 4) Yeah, people used to bully me a lot cause I was different. Turns out, everyone at that school was almost some rich spoiled brat that had no life. I'm not rich at all, so I was picked on. I was too nice to everyone that people just bullied me and never thought twice about it. After a while, I found out it was pointless, and I also could never do it because life is a reward. It's better to exist and do something than to not and not contribute to anything. Live it to the fullest, no matter what At my old school, it was different though, so I wasn't used to such cruel standards =/ In other cases, my relatives are just bad. Not my direct, biological family persay, (ie father, mother, brother, sister,) but just in general (cousins, family friends, etc.). I was always told extremely depressing stories about the past and current, so I KNOW worse things have happened. I've also seen these events carry on right before my eyes. It's good I'm not traumatized. :blink:[/SPOILER] Bottom line, just keep rolling until you do in fact die. Unless there is also a reason to "not die," accept death as it comes unexpectedly. Otherwise, there isn't any reward to suicide, or self destructive behavior, EVER. And if you ever do think of committing suicide, worse things have happened. Trust me.

5. XYZaki
    Date: Wed, Jul 7 2010 09:23:33

Well, I haven't heard any complaints from people who have committed suicide.

6. neXus
    Date: Wed, Jul 7 2010 17:02:22

I have no idea why suicide is frowned upon by the largest part of society. If someone has taken into consideration every consequence that his suicide will have and is willing to accept those then why the hell should he not end his life. They say hope dies last. When hope died there is no point in the man living.

7. MaSter_MiND_
    Date: Wed, Jul 7 2010 17:44:38

The only person I "know", who commited suicide, is Kurt Cobain. I am really fascinated by this guy, but not because he comitted suicide. He did really great things and I would be happy if there was more music by him. On the other side, the suicide is a big part of his fame, but this does not mean that this was a good decision. Everyone who wants to know more about him: The Last 48 Hours Of Kurt Cobain. greets MM

8. miyat
    Date: Wed, Jul 7 2010 18:08:45

What are your ideas? It is the 2nd leading cause in teens. If a person wants to commit suicide, it is very hard to stop them, especially if you don't know that they want to do so. There are many signs depression and i think people should be aware that many are effected by depression or have lost someone to it. We should watch what we say about a lot of things, cause someone could have actually experienced it. This goes for anything i guess. (ex. Guy 1 says, "This is so boring i should just kill myself." Guy 2 has a severe case of depression him the idea to do so. Or he has just lost someone to suicide.) You think things would never happen to you, but it's closer than you think. Lots of people have depression, even if it's just a small case. What do you think about people that commit suicide? I know that they must have been in lots of pain. They either planned it or did it as soon as they got the idea. It is nearly impossible to prevent it if it is the second one. Why do you think someone would want to end their life? They would usually have some form of depression. Depression could run in their family or something could have triggered them into a bad state of mind. Have you ever contemplated suicide? No. I do know what it is like to lose someone first hand to it though. It's horrible. If someone has depression i think it would be best to tell someone. There is help. Just cause someone has depression doesn't mean they are gonna commit suicide.

9. Nachoaddict
    Date: Wed, Jul 7 2010 18:47:45

neXus wrote: I have no idea why suicide is frowned upon by the largest part of society. If someone has taken into consideration every consequence that his suicide will have and is willing to accept those then why the hell should he not end his life. They say hope dies last. When hope died there is no point in the man living.
    Because almost nothing is more valuable than human life. You shoudln't be able to just destroy life and negatively affect those close to you when there are so many people who can't live due to terminal illnesses or accidents. I know some cases might make it seem lile suicide is an acceptable exit but I am a strong believer in the idea that with willpower you can undergo anything or pass any obstacle.

10. neXus
    Date: Wed, Jul 7 2010 19:25:30

I think you should and it's a great part of being a human being. Yes, suicide does negatively affect those close to the person but in the end every man and woman has to decide for themselves, no matter how many loved ones you have EVERY human has an ego and if that ego decides this is what I need to do then it will do it. Yes it hurts those around the person but that it is just one of the consequences that I was talking about that you have to accept when you commit suicide. Yes committing suicide is a problem in the youth community and they probably shouldn't do it because they didn't really give life a chance but that is more societies fault than anything else. No I would not recommend suicide to a friend or loved one but if a person is really set to do it, he will do it regardless.

11. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Jul 8 2010 19:08:24

Nachoaddict wrote: Because almost nothing is more valuable than human life.
    Who's to say that human life is so valuable? That's pure opinion.

12. Simplex
    Date: Thu, Jul 8 2010 19:22:51

XYZaki wrote: Who's to say that human life is so valuable? That's pure opinion.
    agreed. but even if you yourself personally regard human life of very little value the ones around you might not. by committing suicide imo you hurt your loved ones more then yourself.

13. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Jul 8 2010 19:29:40

I think most suicides are stupid and that they should have waited it out and their lives probably would have gotten better. I could see it being somewhat reasonable for some people if it was along the lines of euthanasia (like they were diagnosed with a terminal disease and they are just going to get sicker and sicker)

XYZaki wrote: Who's to say that human life is so valuable? That's pure opinion.
    The general consensus is that human life is valuable, if you want to discredit that the onus is on you to bring up evidence that human life doesn't have value. if a person earns 40K a year and works for 40 years, they would make 1.6 million. 1.6 million dollars of good/services is quite valuable by itself. I don't see why you would even imply you disagree with his statement.

14. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Jul 8 2010 20:08:13

Awesome wrote: if a person earns 40K a year and works for 40 years, they would make 1.6 million. 1.6 million dollars of good/services is quite valuable by itself. I don't see why you would even imply you disagree with his statement.
    But what if this person that's making so much money is having raping people and having bastard children? How much is he worth now? Also, the money he makes alone doesn't make him a contributor of society, what if he never spends it? He could be causing a good amount of cash flow which would help the economy, but he's not. Also, just because others around you value your life doesn't mean you should. Why should someone let the people around them hold them back from being where they want to be? That's forced emotional suffering, which translates to abuse.

15. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Jul 8 2010 20:49:34

When it is such a broad topic as suicide we can only discuss what is generally true, or how it is in most cases, of course there will be exceptions since each suicide is different. Of course there will be exceptions, like I said for some people it might actually be reasonable, but for the most part human life is valuable, and most times suicide is not a good solution

16. Prince
    Date: Thu, Jul 8 2010 20:50:56

I cant be bothered reading it all, but I strongly believe that everyone is entitled to an opinion, and an opinion is never wrong, even if everyone else disagrees with you.

17. poptrops
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 11:11:46

I've kinda been thinking about this, but I realized I would lose the people I love and they would lose me too. I think of that everytime I lose my temper and think about this :P

18. Mike
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 12:09:38

A lot of times, suicide would be the best option if you had nobody that cared about you because then, how could you possibly kill yourself knowing that the last thing you're going to be remembered for is hurting those that care for you the most?

19. snoopy1218
    Date: Thu, Dec 5 2013 06:27:44

sorry for bringing back an old post, but I really needed to get this off my chest I actually have a friend that is seriously contemplating suicide, like she will hold the amount needed to overdose and die in her hand, and refuse to do it. I originally wanted to call her parents, but after talking to her, I realized that she is too afraid to do it anyways, so now its ok. I comfort her whenever I can, and now she is more positively reflective on her outlook of life, but it still worries me. I talked to her, and I told her that suicide is the cheater's way out of the challenge of life. I told her that she is cheating herself out of everything she can see. the "Higher Power" put her there for a reason, and he put the wall in front of her so she can climb over it, if she just kills herself, it would be cheating not only the higher ups, but herself. if she dies now, she will never grow up to see past the wall D: I also told her that her bravery of throwing away the pills is greater than anything I could ever accomplish, because it signified that she fought off the Reaper's cold hand upon her shoulder. I think that everyone should give life a second chance, and that suicide is always the last thing on the list of solutions

20. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Dec 5 2013 18:07:44

snoopy1218 wrote: sorry for bringing back an old post, but I really needed to get this off my chest I actually have a friend that is seriously contemplating suicide, like she will hold the amount needed to overdose and die in her hand, and refuse to do it. I originally wanted to call her parents, but after talking to her, I realized that she is too afraid to do it anyways, so now its ok. I comfort her whenever I can, and now she is more positively reflective on her outlook of life, but it still worries me. I talked to her, and I told her that suicide is the cheater's way out of the challenge of life. I told her that she is cheating herself out of everything she can see. the "Higher Power" put her there for a reason, and he put the wall in front of her so she can climb over it, if she just kills herself, it would be cheating not only the higher ups, but herself. if she dies now, she will never grow up to see past the wall D: I also told her that her bravery of throwing away the pills is greater than anything I could ever accomplish, because it signified that she fought off the Reaper's cold hand upon her shoulder. I think that everyone should give life a second chance, and that suicide is always the last thing on the list of solutions
    good job snoopy, you have done a commendable thing.

21. Soren
    Date: Sat, Dec 14 2013 21:14:38

snoopy1218 wrote: sorry for bringing back an old post, but I really needed to get this off my chest I actually have a friend that is seriously contemplating suicide, like she will hold the amount needed to overdose and die in her hand, and refuse to do it. I originally wanted to call her parents, but after talking to her, I realized that she is too afraid to do it anyways, so now its ok. I comfort her whenever I can, and now she is more positively reflective on her outlook of life, but it still worries me. I talked to her, and I told her that suicide is the cheater's way out of the challenge of life. I told her that she is cheating herself out of everything she can see. the "Higher Power" put her there for a reason, and he put the wall in front of her so she can climb over it, if she just kills herself, it would be cheating not only the higher ups, but herself. if she dies now, she will never grow up to see past the wall D: I also told her that her bravery of throwing away the pills is greater than anything I could ever accomplish, because it signified that she fought off the Reaper's cold hand upon her shoulder. I think that everyone should give life a second chance, and that suicide is always the last thing on the list of solutions
    You did a great thing, I hope that there are more human beings like you.