UPSB v4

Tutorials Pending Approval / DogBONE DC

1. daniel0731ex
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 03:28:56

This mod was originally a concept that I had in mind for a long time, but never found the right materials to implement it until recently. ================= Stats ================= [B]DogBONE DC[/B] COG: COP Length: (Type A) 22.41cm/(Type B ) 22.65cm Momentum: to-do… Style: Double-sided Writing-Mechanism: none Ink-Type: N/A [COLOR=purple]Estimated Cost: $8.20 CAD[/COLOR] ================= Feature Overview ================= Clean, wide spinning space; the ultimate body for performing advanced tricks, as well as a training tool for beginners to familiarize with pen-centering.

Spoiler
    Comfortable concave body profile that helps keep finger support in the balance point at all times.
    Spoiler
    Large weight compartment that holds up to 3 Signo tips, providing a wide calibration range for different momentum set-up/preferences.
    Spoiler
    ================= Material ================= [B]2× Avery HI-LITER 2× BIC GripRoller (identical sub: Brite-Liner Grip/Great Erase Grip) 2× UNI UM-151 Signo DX [/B] (Optional): Grips of your choice Extra Signo tips BicMatic pencil Grip
    Spoiler

2. daniel0731ex
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 03:31:49

================= Assembly Guide =================

Spoiler [B]Step 1: Fully disassemble the BIC Grip Roller[/B] Keep only the body and one end-plug. [B]Step 2: Cut the front section of the BIC body off[/B] Cut from the lump, we need the lumped section for the caps later. [B]Step 3: Erase the writing on the body.[/B] Note that the writing on most BIC products is heat-printed, so it is very hard to rub off. You’ll need a tough eraser and build up some heat before the prints could be removed effectively. [B]Step 4: Trim the end-plug so both sides fit in the barrel to make a connecter[/B] You should trim the mushroom-cap flush with the stem first before cutting it off altogether, because it extends the lip-line (kinda hard to describe, you’ll see it after trimming it yourself) further back and gives the connector more stability. [B]Step 5: Apply tape on the slim end of the end-plug-connector.[/B] Just a VEEEERY thin layer, as if you're breaking its virginity when you insert the plug into the body. (Optional: center grip) Cut 2 rings of 0.245cm-wide BicMatic grip for the center-grip. Stack one over the other to get the right thickness. [B]Step 6: Connect the two bodies together[/B] (Type A: without grip) Insert the trimmed end of the plug into the body first. Push it in carefully with a two-stage click. (Type B: with grip) Insert the trimmed end of the plug into the body first. Push it in carefully until you hear one click. Connect the other body with the tape-bound side of the plug. You might find it a bit tight to penetrate when you insert it into the body for the first time, but don't worry, the membrane is not that easy to break, and you could always reconstruct it easily unlike the other type of membrane. [B]Step 7: Wrap tape around the ends of the body.[/B] You’ll need to wrap quite a bit so the Avery cap would fit snuggly onto the body. [B]Step 8: Harvest the tips and grips from the UM-151 pens, and trim the grips to a length of 2.50cm.[/B] [B]Step 9: Insert the grips and the tips into the Avery caps.[/B] Push the grip all the way in (uncut end facing inward) and then insert the tips with the broad end toward the cap. No worries of breaking the maidenhead this time. [B]Step 10: Assemble the caps and body.[/B] The mod is now spin-able (Optional) add grips of your choice, or more tips for extra momentum.

3. daniel0731ex
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 03:34:23

---------------------------------------- Q&A ---------------------------------------- Q: Which one is better, Type A and Type B? A: It’s all a matter of preference, even though the differences are miniscule. However, I personally find Type A’s body to be much smoother and has a more comfortable length (same length as Emboss mod). Q: Could Airfit tips fit in the caps? A: Although I promised the impressive capacity of 2 Airfit tips in each cap, I later realized that they do not really fit in all Avery marker caps. Mine had a slight larger diameter than the average caps, that’s why I was able to fit the AF tips in there before.

4. Rapid
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 09:49:17

Honestly, this is the best mod you had so far. I really liked the aesthetics. but the cap shape is kinda awkward(and the name lol) . Anyways keep it up! :bd

5. Velocity
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 10:31:52

IMO i don't like it at all, but who am I to judge BTW you must have a lot of time to draw up that tut

6. Tetsip
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 11:46:17

Your tutorials make me orgasm. Splendid job!

7. AriqRR
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 12:04:57

wow nice, a hidden tip mod

8. J74Q
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 12:13:54

I dont find it beautiful in aesthetics but i like the functionality. Just IMO, pics are alot better than drawing on paint / photoshop etc

9. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 15:37:41

honestly i think this mod is great. no doubt but can it be shorten? cuz you listed the length as 22cm. Just cut the barrel i guess?

10. daniel0731ex
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 20:03:18

GeeGeeGee wrote: honestly i think this mod is great. no doubt but can it be shorten? cuz you listed the length as 22cm. Just cut the barrel i guess?
    Unfortunately, the connector would not work if the barrels are cut. As you can see from the diagram, the notches inside the body fits precisely with the end-plug connector. However, what you can do is use the Avery Ever-Bold Whiteboard marker caps, which is significantly shorter than the Hi-Liter caps, reducing the overall length to 20.175cm. What's more, you could fit an Airfit tip on each side snuggly and make it the exact same length as a Buster CYL. Simply punch out the white plug in the cap and put the cap on the body reversed. AF tips just fit snuggly on the opening. Here's what it looks like with the smaller cap: (Compared to the original:) This is where you fit AF tips:

11. Vaan
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 20:05:46

brilliant tutorial!

12. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 20:41:22

well you could use tape to connect it like vic mod right? If no then will signo tips fit?

13. daniel0731ex
    Date: Tue, Jul 12 2011 23:45:31

Thanks for all the compliments guys :) I'm trying to decide whether if I should change the name or not....here's a list of different names I came up with, please tell me what you think: [INDENT]D-Bone DogBone DC BoneMod Avery Dogbone Candybone Mod Snow Ivory DC[/INDENT] Or should I just leave it as it is? If you have any ideas of a cool name, please be sure to share it with us!

GeeGeeGee wrote: well you could use tape to connect it like vic mod right? If no then will signo tips fit?
    Hmm, I am unaware that the VGG mod uses tapes to connect the bodies? I thought that just BIC RoundStic barrels were used as a connector. Anyhow, the Signo tips will fit on the small caps in the same manner as the original, except it's inserted from the outside. Though I personally think that the small capped version looks nicer with the AF tips.

14. PREDATORNET
    Date: Tue, Jul 12 2011 23:50:52

I thought you told me it was gonna be called DogBone DC< and IMO that's probably the best name for it. How it has anything to do with the mod, idk? XD Anyways, i like this mod a lot more than your other ones, this one looks better, and will (probably) spin better, if i ever bother to make one, which i doubt i will, sorry. And no, VGGs don't use tape o_O PS. Could you please edit your comment on my page? It's a little disconcerting. >_<

15. jet
    Date: Wed, Jul 13 2011 01:54:44

*goes to predatornet's profile and laughs* and btw nice mod, daniel

16. MystikSun
    Date: Thu, Jul 14 2011 21:38:43

I love the tutorial! Very professional. Although it isn't the best mod eye-candy wise, I like the customizable weight in the caps. Definitely going to try to make this one.

17. LongCK
    Date: Tue, Aug 23 2011 16:36:50

it's good mod, not to hard to find the materials

18. JackyMacky
    Date: Tue, Aug 23 2011 20:56:56

Nice! I have avery highlighters lolol!

19. Sky-Hi
    Date: Fri, Oct 21 2011 11:32:25

lol , this pen can ease ur pen picking problem . Ever had those moments where ur pen rolled too far ? The caps looks cool and it's useful , nice mod .