UPSB v4

Off-topic / Is it possible for one piece of music to be objectively better than another?

1. Retro-spectre
    Date: Sat, Jul 9 2011 21:23:56

Let's take these three pieces for example: 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAOTCtW9v0M 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78_loMbmKJ8 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YxaaGgTQYM Is it possible for one piece of music to be objectively better than another? How would you rank these and why?

2. Colin
    Date: Sat, Jul 9 2011 21:39:57

Dont care for clicking on youtube links. Let me say this: No music is better than another genre, piece, or score of music. Why? What kind of music you listen to is completely your decision and your preference. I can be listening to The Wiggles right now and call that shit the best band that ever existed. Why? Cause its a bunch of middle-aged men singing faggot kid's songs. You would disagree, because you hate middle-aged men singing faggot kid's songs. You prefer Katy Perry cause she has bigger tits. That is completely up to you tl;dr No. Whether you like one piece of music over another, that's your opinion and nothing else. and fucking @Burnedfirefly , I dont care if youre a girl. You have every right to express your opinon about anything, but youre being fucking stupid about everything. You cant own a word, you cant say this music is better than that music, blahblahblah i dont fucking care. Stop acting like a little 7 year old and grow the fuck up. And it that hurt your feelings, it wasnt meant to. Learn to realize that other's people's opinions have some significance, and is only said because there is a point to be made. /rant

3. fang
    Date: Sat, Jul 9 2011 21:45:07

@Colin dude, don't be so dahm serious man. Who is acting like a 7 year old by talking like this? and if that hurt your feelings. good then my job is done!

4. Colin
    Date: Sat, Jul 9 2011 21:47:35

fang wrote: @Colin dude, don't be so dahm serious man. Who is acting like a 7 year old by talking like this? and if that hurt your feelings. good than my job is done!
    YOURE A SEVEN YEAR OLD :bananalama:

5. fang
    Date: Sat, Jul 9 2011 22:18:54

@Colin maybe I am, so what? are you insulting 7 years old now? I think they are alot smarter than you are!

6. King
    Date: Sat, Jul 9 2011 23:02:14

Im seven years old :,(

7. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sat, Jul 9 2011 23:03:58

Now you're all acting like 7-year olds. Start discussing stuff normally, thanks.

8. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sat, Jul 9 2011 23:10:19

I gotta agree on the music thing with Colin. It's all a matter of perspective and I don't believe that one piece of music can ever be universally and definitely superior to another. For example, I could think this is a beautiful piece of music:

9. Rapid
    Date: Sun, Jul 10 2011 01:43:58

Justin Bieber fans. Enough said?

10. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sun, Jul 10 2011 02:55:03

Friday is a masterpiece.

11. Awesome
    Date: Sun, Jul 10 2011 03:14:01

1. 2. 3 was blocked in canada I would say music can't be objectively better cuz its a subjective experience, objectively its just some sound in the air., any meaning it takes is up to the listener. Of course common sense is a wonderful thing, it lets you not worry about these things.

12. Mufoofee
    Date: Sun, Jul 10 2011 06:26:39

Music is your choice. You can only compare music that everyone hates to something else. (Rebecca Black.)

13. Surge
    Date: Sun, Jul 10 2011 18:22:49

This multicultural, "IT'S SUBJECTIVE, WHATEVER YOU WANT" bullshit makes me wanna vomit my guts out unto a table, and then hack them up with a butcher knife. Yes, one piece of music can be objectively better than another. Music, like art, is made by people with a gradient of different talent and effort. Now, in any genre of music, there are talented, hard-working individuals that produce real music. However, popular music today is largely just rehashing words with a different, incredibly similar beat. This is nothing more than sticking, putrid rubbish. As a general expression, music can be though of as: More talent + More effort = Better music. A child scribbling on a page is not creating art. A "musician" preying on society's dis-appreciation for musical integrity is not creating music. Once upon a time composers poured countless hours into their work, obsessing over every, intricate phrase. Musicians practiced hours a day so as to do the pieces justice. Of course, this still happens today, just to an increasingly esoteric audience. Ya'll are niggers hoeing around in a field.

14. Colin
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 00:58:23

fang wrote: @Colin maybe I am, so what? are you insulting 7 years old now? I think they are alot smarter than you are!
    :clap: absolutely original

15. blahblahting
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 19:48:54

i guess one way you could have a piece of music be better than another is if they are the same song, but sung by two different people (ex. an accomplished singer and someone completely new who has very poor technique/skill/intonation/wtv)

16. poisoned
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 21:04:13

I could say I'm somewhere in between colin's and surge's post. I think what makes music "good" is someone who puts the time, effort, care, soul into developing it. But at the same time just because its good doesn't everyone will find it enjoyable, it will be enjoyable to some and ear-peircing to others.

17. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Jul 11 2011 22:20:34

Honestly how can any one of us say that a piece of music is objectively better than another? We all carry personal biases and as humans, we are a flawed people and can not completely ignore these. They will always linger and influence us.

18. Surge
    Date: Tue, Jul 12 2011 00:54:32

Flawed as opposed to what standard?

19. shoeman6
    Date: Tue, Jul 12 2011 00:55:16

No.