UPSB v4

Off-topic / Casey Anthony Trial

1. Nachoaddict
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 07:53:23

What did you think about the verdict? Thoughts/ideas on what really happened? Either way (guilty or not guilty) I think she still got screwed because even though she isn't in jail for a lifetime nor dead, she's now associated with this infamous social status. It'll be very hard for her to even get a decent job now. At the same time however she might be able to make money off the story >_> through books and movies... She definitely had a part in the murder based on the circumstantial evidence in my opinion but the prosecution didn't provide any beyond a reasonable doubt proof. So I think the jurors were justified in their decision in that beyond a reasonable doubt evidence is pretty standard for these criminal cases. I mean they have to play by the court system rules. If people should be getting mad at anyone, I think they should turn their attention towards the writers of these rules rather than the jurors themselves. http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/07/06/florida.casey.anthony.next/index.html?&hpt=hp_c1

2. funnky
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 14:05:18

i think that is awesome!!!!!!!!!! now she should write a book about it admitting she killed her and then she cant get tried again(because of double jeopardy) then she can make a ton of money.

3. Nachoaddict
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 14:58:40

Well if she confesses they can try her. A confession by any of the key members in the case will justify a re-trial.

4. neXus
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 15:04:45

This was reported very little in Germany so I literally know only about this case from the video you linked BUT without being a juror or in the courtroom how could any of us have a valuable opinion on this case. I don't know the evidence in detail and I'm not able to form an opinion that is of any use.

5. Nachoaddict
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 18:19:11

Well it's been significantly covered by the media in the U.S. so I thought more people would be following it :/ There is a lot of the case here: http://www.youtube.com/user/weshtv But not all of it. Thanks to KTrinh for the link.

6. TheAafg
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 20:12:00

I just spent the past half -hour reading all the shit that happened. She definitely had something to do with the murder. That bitch. I would go as far as to say that she is the main culprit.

7. boshi
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 21:24:56

I think its pretty sad for caylee. But there just wasn't enough evidence. As far as the verdict, i think if people can justify god, the jury can justify Casey's innocence.

8. funnky
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 22:45:07

Nachoaddict wrote: Well if she confesses they can try her. A confession by any of the key members in the case will justify a re-trial.
    cant re try her. once verdict is reached in a trail you cant appeal the case. that would be against double jeopardy. its like OJ Simpson. he admitted he killed Nicole brown and that other dude and he cant get re-tryed because of double jeopardy.

9. JC
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 22:55:20

It's not a matter of whether or not she's completely innocent, but the jurors just weren't able to say that she was completely guilty. And so our system works where with enough reasonable doubt, the jury should let her off rather than risking putting an innocent person in jail. She may indeed be guilty, but she got freed from it with enough reasonable doubt. We don't know for sure whether or not she's guilty or innocent, but our system favors letting a guilty person off (could be caught again though...) rather than putting an innocent in jail (which you can't fix, and especially not if it was a death sentence which she might've gotten I think if she was guilty?). She's done 3yrs of jail already I believe during this whole case...which is almost the max sentence for lying anyway, so if she got put in jail for that, she wouldn't stay for too long anyways. I think that's what it was at least lol, I didn't follow the case too closely...this is just what I got from what I've been hearing around me.

10. Nachoaddict
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 22:58:07

funnky wrote: cant re try her. once verdict is reached in a trail you cant appeal the case. that would be against double jeopardy. its like OJ Simpson. he admitted he killed Nicole brown and that other dude and he cant get re-tryed because of double jeopardy.
    Yes they can. They just can't re-try her for the same charge but if new evidence comes out, they can make a different case against her in a different court system.

11. Raos
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 22:59:27

casey anthony is a lying nitch just like what peter chao and siggas said

12. funnky
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 23:03:12

Nachoaddict wrote: Yes they can. They just can't re-try her for the same charge but if new evidence comes out, they can make a different case against her in a different court system.
    yeah but they cant re try hear for the murder of her daughter.

13. Nachoaddict
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 23:11:56

funnky wrote: yeah but they cant re try hear for the murder of her daughter.
    Yeah :/

14. funnky
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 23:16:49

Nachoaddict wrote: Yeah :/
    thats what i meant to say. she accomplished something amazing. getting away with murder.

15. Loanshark
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 23:20:58

16. neXus
    Date: Thu, Jul 7 2011 18:23:57

I feel irrational So confrontational To tell the truth I am

funnky;114347]getting away with murder.[/QUOTE] it isn't possible to never tell the truth but the reality is I'm [QUOTE=funnky wrote: getting away with murder.

17. Sc00t
    Date: Fri, Jul 8 2011 16:04:51

casey has her life ahead of her caylee does not let her walk free

18. Ricercar
    Date: Fri, Jul 8 2011 16:23:14

While it makes me sick to my stomach that the verdict came out the way it did, it's to be expected. Even though it was fairly obvious that she did it, there wasn't SUBSTANTIAL proof that she murdered Caylee. It's disappointing, especially after that circus act of a defense. It really bugged me when her mother stepped up and defended Casey on the matter of the chloroform search on her laptop. Just because her mother said "I did it" (even though a blind deaf moron could tell that she was lying) the jury essentially has to assume that she did. And to all the people saying "Hooray! Our Judicial System came through!," you disgust me. Think about poor Caylee who was taken from the Earth before she had a chance. I mean, Casey never even wanted the child in the first place, and not reporting her missing for over 2 months, and PARTYING when she was found dead, is ample proof for me to convict her, AT LEAST for life. Going for the death penalty was stupid, and with all of the circumstantial evidence presented by the prosecution, it was a futile effort.