UPSB v4

General Discussion / The PenModding World Tournament 2011

1. Spiral
    Date: Sun, Jul 3 2011 13:37:03

Hi everyone! It is now over a year that opposed neptune to kam in the final of the first WT of modding: the PMWT 09. Remember those great moments, remember these great inventions, remember these moments of excitement while waiting for the final results ... Now, you will have the opportunity to relive this unforgettable experience, because here the announcement of PMWT11 organized by Spiral and V-T from FPSB! You have to choose three members who represent your board, and a judge. The rounds' organization will be slightly different from the first WT. Indeed, there will be 5 rounds:during the first 3 rounds, all participants will confront each other. Only the best of them will have their place in the next round, which allows to everyone to have a chance: the first round will begin with about thirty participants, it will remain half that is to say 16; at the end of the second round would be only 8 modders; on third round, the 8 modders will compete for a place in order to the semi-final. This latter (the round 4) will be a battle between the remaining three best and two of them will be taken to compete for the final. Each round will last three weeks: two weeks to allow time the modders to make their mod and one week to allow the judges to note. As far as the judges are concerned, they will be 12, one for each board. During the weeks of trial, the judges will not notice the candidates belonging to their board. PS: If you have any question, ask us. The tournament will start July 31 (that is to say in about 4 weeks). Here are the links of the site and our email addresses: Site: http://thespyre.net/penmoddingwt/ Spiral: [email][email protected][/email] V-T: [email][email protected][/email] Site Address: [email][email protected][/email] [email][email protected][/email] Youtube Address: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePMWT

2. Soren
    Date: Sun, Jul 3 2011 14:40:55

yes it's back! cant wait till it starts =D

3. webspider
    Date: Sun, Jul 3 2011 14:41:49

Sorry to ask yo that in this thread, but who are you, Spiral and V-T? To me you are complete strangers coming with a sudden announcement that you will organize another contest. And who has asked for the PMWT 2011? The reactions of the last one were quite mixed, so I wouldn't take it as granted, that as many people will participate this time, especially because of their bad experiences with it. If you ask yourself who I am, then the only thing that you should now is, that I'm a retired modder with some fame and one of the last PMWTs judges. That's why I not only know about the public events that happened last year, but also about the internal ones. It would be very nice to get detailed answers from you. Thanks.

4. Rabbid
    Date: Sun, Jul 3 2011 15:02:44

Its back :D

5. Bleevlee
    Date: Sun, Jul 3 2011 15:41:11

YAYYYY POSSIBLY NEW PEN MODS TO MAKE AND SPINNNN but they're probably too hard to make for me. :(

6. Vôre-tèx
    Date: Sun, Jul 3 2011 16:39:13

webspider wrote: Sorry to ask yo that in this thread, but who are you, Spiral and V-T? To me you are complete strangers coming with a sudden announcement that you will organize another contest.
    I'm V-T (or Vôre-Tèx, as you want). I sometimes posted my mods in the thread "Show off your pens/mods". I think it's normal that we're strangers for you, because we are not active on UPSB. But i can show you our profile on FPSB and the announce there ;) ( Announce , V-T , Spiral ).
    And who has asked for the PMWT 2011? The reactions of the last one were quite mixed, so I wouldn't take it as granted, that as many people will participate this time, especially because of their bad experiences with it.
    Nobody asked for it. Why some of you didn't like the last one ? What points do you not want to see in the next (or what improvements would you have?) ? edit: oh I forgot to say that I am one of the administrators of the PenModding site : http://thespyre.net/penmods/

7. webspider
    Date: Mon, Jul 4 2011 21:55:11

Thanks for replying. Well, there are mainly two problems: First, there were many times when not all Judges did send in their mails in. It got worse over time, because there was no rule that said what to do when this kind of thing happens. And the other is about the results and organisators in general. Updates did take more time than needed and there were rumors, that the results were biased in a way that would favor the french modders. I haven't heard many enthusiastic people that would participate for the whole time this event takes. That's why I'm asking why you did start this even if there was no one asking for it. Talking about problems, there are two kinds of solutions: The first one is rather easy, change the rules in a way like disqualification of the corresponding teams from "bad" judges. Or another kind of scoring system. The other is rather hard. It would be best if a board or another independent organisation that is not sending out anyone would host this event. Of course it will sound bad for you, but I think there's only one board that would be suited for this task, and that's the LPSA with me as a member. I have webspace, design skills, enough mail adresses and an independent board supporting me that has no participating modders at all. As you know since LPSA 1st, it's focus is more on showing elitist penspinners. I hope you think about my proposal at this. Because my intention is to make this event better than the time before, not trolling you. Thanks for reading this absurdly long post.

8. Explosion101
    Date: Tue, Jul 5 2011 00:20:04

I can't wait :D These mods will most likely be too complicated for me to make anytime soon, but I'd still love to see them

9. Vôre-tèx
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 17:12:40

@webspider : well, i spoke with the other organizer and we made a decision about judges : if a judge does not do his job correctly, the mods of modders of his board will be evaluated on 15 instead of 20.

10. Froggy
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 17:40:20

So are u saying that the mods will be penalized just because their judge is bad?? I know that a win would eventually result in a win.. But 5 mark difference is A LOT.. besides.. Why should the quality of the judge affect the mod's score itself... That's just unfair to both the modders and the mods itself Correct me if I'm wrong.. PrjnceXD

11. Vôre-tèx
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 21:13:34

@PrinceXD What do you suggest others? I think the judges must have a minimum of responsibility, right?

12. Froggy
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 21:34:00

@Vôre-tèx Ofcourse they have responsibilities, but it shouldnt be reflected on the mod itself. thats like saying... [B]IF[/B] WT2011, FPSB didnt hand in the score therefore S777 get -5 score.. thats a big difference! (hint: i know how the scoring system works, FPSB wouldnt be able to hand in a score anyways.. but im just using it as example) What do I suggest.. ONLY a small amount of judges from different boards (like 3~5 ppl max) easy to handle and easy to manage. if board clashes with the modder and/or opponent, that board dont get to vote eg: Neptune vs Kam, both UPSB and FPSB cant vote for both modder. PrinceXD

13. Nachoaddict
    Date: Wed, Jul 6 2011 21:50:01

Yeah I completely agree with Prince. If a judge doesn't turn in a score for one modder, (but he/she does turn in scores for other modders), then disregard the other scores that he/she submitted and then find a substitute judge. If the judge who didn't turn in the scores does not have a good reason for doing so, then you can ask them to leave and replace the person. If they do have a good explanation, then give them a warning and then next time it happens, take them off the judging team. If the judge doesn't turn in any scores at all, then you can just disregard those scores and base the final decision on the other judges' scores. And then you can figure out what to do about this judge: whether to replace him/her or to give him/her another chance, etc. etc.

14. webspider
    Date: Thu, Jul 7 2011 10:29:43

You could solve it much easier by disqualification of the complete team. That way everyone knows, that judging in this competition isn't just child's play, but brings much responsibility with it. Keep in mind that this issue isn't as important as having independent people to organize this properly. Ignoring that part of my post doesn't make you look more professional in this aspect than Near.

15. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Jul 7 2011 16:15:18

@webspider By "team" do you mean to include any modders from the board? Because I think that's a bit unfair if a judge screws up but you penalize the modder as well.

16. webspider
    Date: Thu, Jul 7 2011 16:40:21

It will make them think twice who to use as a judge :P Besides, except changing the scoring system there is no way to punish this kind of behaviour. Also, don't forget that there's still a bigger problem to solve: Choosing people that organize this event thoroughly being neutral and consequently in their actions as well. The last one to do that didn't seem to have this virtues.

17. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Jul 7 2011 16:42:40

@webspider Well I don't know. Seems a bit ruthless haha. What didn't you like about Near? I only followed the last couple of rounds so I'm not very knowledgeable of the last PMWT.

18. webspider
    Date: Thu, Jul 7 2011 16:47:44

Being inconsequent and appearing to be non-neutral. As I've said above. Unfortunately I'm not the only one to think that especially the last encounters of the PMWT09 were arranged battles. It happened due to more and more judges not taking their duty seriously, but it still made this event look unfair towards its end.

19. JackyMacky
    Date: Thu, Jul 7 2011 18:49:08

I don't think PMWT is all that special. Sure the pens look great but they're too difficult to make. This tournament is sort of a fail imo.

20. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Jul 7 2011 21:52:33

Well the tournament isn't focused on people being able to recreate the mods shown in it...It's to show off the abilities of modders. And quite frankly, I think that the difficulty to reproduce some of these mods that come with great looks aesthetically and some sort of useful functionality is no surprise. If you're looking to recreate mods there's a whole archive of mod tutorials waiting for you in v3, v4, and the other past UPSB boards.

21. Froggy
    Date: Fri, Jul 8 2011 00:20:31

I think the tournament did lack variety.. It's too focused on creating new mods... I know it's for bringing new ideas but still... Anyone with good imagination + money will eventually win... I was thinking they should add a section to specific test the modder's knowledge like "watch this, try replicating this mod" Ofcourse then the cam should be extremely clear and the mod shouldn't use too much unknown pens.. Lol random idea :P PrinceXD

22. Nachoaddict
    Date: Fri, Jul 8 2011 00:46:49

Or possibly give all modders a set of parts to use and see what they can create. That could also be a test of skill since there is no cash limit on what you can spend on a mod right now.

23. Vaan
    Date: Fri, Jul 8 2011 00:56:20

this will be a hell of a party! lol ^^

24. Froggy
    Date: Fri, Jul 8 2011 01:06:30

Yeah just going for something like "create led mod" just depends on how many LEDs one can fit in a mod lol... More limitations r needed! PrinceXD

25. daniel0731ex
    Date: Fri, Jul 8 2011 01:21:49

Wow, I can't wait to see all the pro modder's awesome invention! Gonna learn so much from this. Could starter-modders enter this contest too? I know I'm just gonna get slaughtered, but it'd be a fun experience anyways :P

26. Cloud
    Date: Fri, Jul 8 2011 02:40:25

oh god no.

27. Vôre-tèx
    Date: Fri, Jul 22 2011 20:42:21

I regret to announce the cancellation of the tournament. Let me explain why. I decided this because, a week of the deadline, a third of boards selected are inactive or did not respond, that is to say four out of 12 boards. If we calculate the number of participants with 8 boards (with 3 more active than others), that we do in the worst case and 14 participants in the best cases 24 participants (at the base, there must be thirty). Personally, I do not call it a world tournament, if 4 out of 12 countries do not. And even less if there are only 14 participants. I also agree that there has been a little lack of organization and I apologize. Hope you understand my decision. @ webspider : If you want to organize this tournament, send me a pm.

28. GigaByte
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 00:00:27

TT , no PMWT

29. Cloud
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 00:50:32

@Syrti too bad :/ really looking forward to that idea of yours. What do you want to do about the trade though?

30. MUSIIX
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 02:08:21

Vôre-tèx wrote: I regret to announce the cancellation of the tournament. Let me explain why. I decided this because, a week of the deadline, a third of boards selected are inactive or did not respond, that is to say four out of 12 boards. If we calculate the number of participants with 8 boards (with 3 more active than others), that we do in the worst case and 14 participants in the best cases 24 participants (at the base, there must be thirty). Personally, I do not call it a world tournament, if 4 out of 12 countries do not. And even less if there are only 14 participants. I also agree that there has been a little lack of organization and I apologize. Hope you understand my decision. @ webspider : If you want to organize this tournament, send me a pm.
    Aww. Oh well.

31. Syrti
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 09:51:33

I am very sad. I was looking forward to this tournament to challenge myself. Whenever it may be organized again, PM me. I will participate! I think I just will make a pen with my idea anyways. Thank you anyway for trying to organize a that big tournament.

32. Ardall
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 20:07:56

yes it is back

33. Cloud
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 20:11:07

HUH? @Ardall Did VT tell you?

34. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 20:12:04

I think he just looked at first post and posted that. >_>

35. vento
    Date: Sun, Jul 24 2011 20:47:07

Couldnt we just make a "normal" modding tournament then? edit: So like... just a modding tournament to allow spinners to show their ideas and creations then. It neednt to be a huge tournament like the last one, but maybe we can gather more spinners when we (or you - the organizators) announce that and not a "World Tournament" - it could also be like an "inofficial" one or... idk... But let there be a tournament!!! :| <- sad

36. webspider
    Date: Sun, Jul 24 2011 23:29:25

Why don't all talented modders simply challenge themselves and keep posting interesting, groundbreaking mods instead havin to pay huge amounts of money for competitions sake? I know, that's not as exciting, but come on :D