UPSB v4

Off-topic / Bill S.978 Shutting Down Gaming Videos and Streaming???

1. hawkeye
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 07:00:36

Hey guys, I don't know if you've heard about this, but Congress is trying to pass a bill about blocking off and shutting down media that contains gaming footage or music. Watch some guy give a bunch of in-depth information here. It's really interesting, I actually watched the WHOLE thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hytigOSjJxc And uh, check this out. This is a site where.. like.. well.. just go to it and see for yourself. http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/ten_strikes?akid=700.450896.5hVZPC&rd=1&t=1 Join the act of protest for this... click the second link!!! I did it, you should too. Share this message to all your friends through Facebook or Twitter or email or whatever. Yes, this means we won't have any pen spinning videos with music anymore if this happens.

2. Clyde
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 08:30:00

wtf? this is bullshit

3. boshi
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 08:48:34

you tell em clyde. fuck the system!

4. SuiXidaL
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 09:42:22

you must be an idiot to believe this.

5. neXus
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 10:35:53

Krispy Kreme wrote: you must be an idiot to believe this.
    You must be an idiot to post that without even reading the bill or about the bill. It is actually quite serious.

6. SuiXidaL
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 10:58:47

neXus wrote: You must be an idiot to post that without even reading the bill or about the bill. It is actually quite serious.
    no music, woopedoo

7. neXus
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 11:36:13

It's a tad more complicated than that.

8. Zleepy
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 12:17:07

dammit...... -_-

9. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 13:26:48

Good luck to the govnt trying to prosecute hundreds of thousands of 10 year olds. Hello non-U.S. hosting sites. So this is what our congress is doing rather than fixing the fucking economy.

10. Loanshark
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 17:00:05

This won't pass.

11. hawkeye
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 17:02:48

I'm just posting this...whether people believe it or not. If its false, then okay i made a fool of myself. But it can actually happen. That's why I'm just trying to get the word out just in case.

12. nateiskewl
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 18:44:11

Let's list the extremely unlikely events that need to happen for you to be charged for this: 1. Bill needs to pass the Senate 2. Bill needs to pass the House 3. Bill needs to be signed by the President 4. Agencies have to actually notice that it could be applied to video games through the super implicit wording 5. Companies have to give enough shits to have your videos taken down 6. Companies have to not give general legal permission to all users to make videos (Who wants free publicity anyway?) 7. You have to violate it a shit ton of times 8. Letter (potentially from your ISP) comes telling you to quit it 9. Letter comes telling you to REALLY quit it this time 10. Hit up the gym 11. Get a lawyer 12. Politzei come and take your shit (@neXus)

13. neXus
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 19:23:54

nateiskewl wrote: 5. Companies have to give enough shits to have your videos taken down 6. Companies have to not give general legal permission to all users to make videos (Who wants free publicity anyway?)
    This is outside of the hands of the companies. It doesn't matter if the company of the game wants it's users to stream and upload videos because it's the governments job to enforce this. Companies could already sue people for streaming if they wanted.

14. Tialys
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 20:47:28

tl;dw the whole video, but the uploader is so biased. "We're gonna go back to the Dark Ages, before the internet" hahaha... thanks, that's my source of chuckles for the day.

15. nateiskewl
    Date: Sun, Jul 3 2011 01:23:19

neXus wrote: It doesn't matter if the company of the game wants it's users to stream and upload videos because it's the governments job to enforce this.
    It may be the government's job, but that doesn't mean they're going to do so. Do you really think they actively send subpoenas for pirating music all by themselves? They act on complaints from industry groups.