UPSB v4

Serious Discussion / Timothy Treadwell -- Discussion?

1. daniel0731ex
    Date: Thu, Jun 30 2011 04:52:54

My opinion is straightfoward: Play with fire, you'll eventually get burned. But at the same time, the fact that he spent a million hours with the bears unharmed also shows that these animals are not so radically dangerous that the ruthless treament and hysterical attitudes are necessary. Sadly, this fact escapes most people and the tragedy leaves only the single-sided impression that men and "nature" could never co-exist. The key points of the incident, in my opinion, is that although the bears' individualities are unpredictable (just like human), their general behaviors are entirely predictable. That means "They're not so dangerous that even their sole existence is a threat. Just don't get TOO close because you never know if this is one of the [B]occasional[/B] psycho serial-killer."

2. Krypton
    Date: Thu, Jun 30 2011 08:10:09

Bears are adorably cuddly, but yeah, unpredictable tantrums can be nasty for those that get too close.

3. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Jun 30 2011 20:33:44

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell I like when a link is posted too save me the hassle of a google search ;D Sounds like you shouldn't hang out with bears you do not know in the fall time.

4. daniel0731ex
    Date: Thu, Jun 30 2011 22:11:33

Here's a pretty important side of this story: http://www.cloudline.org/treadwell.html

5. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Jul 1 2011 03:13:31

That sucks... I feel worse for the girlfriend tough, must've been horrifying before she was killed...

6. daniel0731ex
    Date: Fri, Jul 1 2011 04:27:19

Yeah...it's a really controversial topic, and I personally have really mixed feeling and opinions about this. But I think his ex-girlfriend chose the wrong filmmaker though, the Grizzly Man was really disrespectful.

7. Tialys
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 00:48:07

Seems to me like he was living in his own world; one that eschewed logic to create the illusion of safety. It was naive to think he wouldn't get attacked by an aggressive bear, given the paucity of food and impending winter. Humans and wild animals are not meant to co-exist in immediate proximity, at least not without some type of barrier or defense between them. Animal attacks can be unpredictable, unprovoked, and occur without a precedent. Reminds me of Roy Horn's tiger and Travis the chimpanzee.

8. Colin
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 01:30:46

Dont fuck with others, if you dont want to be fucked. They taught you that shit as a kid "treat others how you want to be treated". Im pretty aware that bears dont say "HEY! There's this white fucker trying to fuck around with us, so if you see him, FUCK HIM UP!" , but..it was incrediby creul for him to mess with nature the way he did. Im no tree hugger, but whats the point of wrestling bears capturing them or whatever he did? There was no point for him to do so. Even if the bears were unharmed, animals have feelings and people need to respect that. Im a bad explainerererer, but you get my point.

9. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sat, Jul 2 2011 04:23:50

@Colin Err, sorry but, I don't quite get your point? I read your post over and over again and still couldn't grasp what you meant...-_-

10. zweebna
    Date: Sun, Jul 3 2011 09:42:09

daniel0731ex wrote: @Colin Err, sorry but, I don't quite get your point? I read your post over and over again and still couldn't grasp what you meant...-_-
    He said: He fucked with bears. So bears fucked with him back. Therefore: don't fuck with bears.