UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / Shifting weight

1. daniel0731ex
    Date: Fri, Jun 24 2011 16:12:10

Looking at numerous discussions about shifting weights, it seems that most of the designs try to move the center of gravity towards one end. But that's the exact opposite of my understanding....I thought that the weight should rather shift toward where your finger supports the pen? That way the center of the spinning motion stays on the point of support, thus keeping the mod on your hands rather than flying away. Or is there something wrong about my understanding of this physics aspect? @Eburt

2. Awesome
    Date: Fri, Jun 24 2011 16:19:45

you want weight to be on the ends cuz its more effective there. Its not so much on the weight by itself, but rather the momentum. The ends of the pen spin faster then the center of the pen. So if you have weight on the ends the pen has more energy while being spun. The center of balance is the center of balance regardless of where the weight is located.

3. daniel0731ex
    Date: Fri, Jun 24 2011 16:45:09

@Awesome I think you misunderstood my point here...I know that masses should be concentrated at the ends for maximum momentum, but that is supplied by the weighted tips at the ends of a mod. The shifting weight mechanism is for changing the center of balance, because there really isn't any point of creating a complex mechanism just to increase momentum; that could easily be done by adding more weights at the ends. What I was trying to say here is that, take busting for example, you always want to position your finger right next to the center of gravity for each push, but often you either pushed too far from the center and cause the pen to slip out of you hands, or punch right on the center, projecting the pen out like a bullet. For a weight-shifting mechanism to enhance this, it should adjust itself so the center of gravity would be at the perfect point (right next to your finger) at all times, tolerating minor mistakes (I said minor because, even if the weights shifted all the way to the ends, it could only move the COG by a little bit because the mass is relatively small compared to the weighted tips). Shifting the center of gravity to the ends, on the other hand, would create the exact opposite effect, and the function is detrimental rather than benefitial (just think of water bottlers -- what is it that makes a bottle with water hard to spin and predict its motion? The spinning motion ALWAYS circles around the center of gravity, the weird motion that people sees is simply a result of the combination of other velocity components)

4. Syntraediace220
    Date: Fri, Jun 24 2011 18:56:09

i understand that for maximum momentum you put the weights at the ends. but i guess it also matters to have weight in the center. It gives the pen a more solid feel when you're spinning. like, comparing any marker mod to a G3 mod or a RSVP MX... where there is a little more weight in the center. i feel like it's important to have weight at the center of the pen. but of course focus most of it at the ends.

5. Explosion101
    Date: Fri, Jun 24 2011 20:04:47

How would you go about doing that? Putting a ball weight inside the pen?

6. Awesome
    Date: Fri, Jun 24 2011 20:12:39

oh, I think iMatt was doing something on this. I think it is to have lots of momentum while spinning, but when it stops for a direction change there is less momentum so you can get sharper direction changes.

7. AWtii69
    Date: Fri, Jun 24 2011 23:18:43

seems like it would be awesome. but how on earth would it be done in enought time while the trick is being executed?

8. MickChickenn
    Date: Sat, Jun 25 2011 03:53:42

you would need to have a very long mod for the COG to move very much, and the weight wouldnt move very quickly, and would ruin a sucession of fast tricks.

9. Froggy
    Date: Sat, Jun 25 2011 06:18:04

rather than trying to explain in words, why not try it in experience? Heres what i recommend you doing: you got a DC capped mod right? (the red/white/oj one) try to hollow the barrel as much as possible add a thin stick inside which is long enough to touch both caps (but not too long that u caps cant fit onto the barrel) make sure the cap is VERY tight over the barrel once the above is complete, add a spring on the thin stick then a Dr.Grip G-Spec shaker metal tube thingy on the stick then another spring. spin, and feel PrinceXD

10. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sat, Jun 25 2011 18:05:10

MickChickenn;111054]you would need to have a very long mod for the COG to move very much, and the weight wouldnt move very quickly, and would ruin a sucession of fast tricks.[/QUOTE] ...... [QUOTE=daniel0731ex;110946]...I said minor because, even if the weights shifted all the way to the ends, it could only move the COG by a little bit as the mass is relatively small compared to the weighted tips[/QUOTE] ======================================================== [QUOTE=PrinceXD wrote: rather than trying to explain in words, why not try it in experience? Heres what i recommend you doing: you got a DC capped mod right? (the red/white/oj one) try to hollow the barrel as much as possible add a thin stick inside which is long enough to touch both caps (but not too long that u caps cant fit onto the barrel) make sure the cap is VERY tight over the barrel once the above is complete, add a spring on the thin stick then a Dr.Grip G-Spec shaker metal tube thingy on the stick then another spring. spin, and feel PrinceXD
    Well, I tried iMatt's mod before using an MX, and my observation is that this mechanism (shifting the COG toward weighted ends) would only create the "waterbottle effect", making it tedius to bust with. And my DC mod has a connecter in the middle, which makes it impossible to insert a single-slider mechanism.

11. LSGHPENSPINNER
    Date: Sun, Jun 26 2011 04:06:37

12. Froggy
    Date: Sun, Jun 26 2011 05:10:56

Maybe thats what its trying to achieve? Maybe its tedius for you because you aint used to it? I tried it before, you dont need to move your hand as much like whats it said in v3 post "it will spin for itself" PrinceXD

daniel0731ex wrote: Well, I tried iMatt's mod before using an MX, and my observation is that this mechanism (shifting the COG toward weighted ends) would only create the "waterbottle effect", making it tedius to bust with. And my DC mod has a connecter in the middle, which makes it impossible to insert a single-slider mechanism.

13. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sun, Jun 26 2011 21:44:35

@PrinceXD Hmm, so it works for you eh? Well that's all I needed to know, that you've tried for yourself.

14. Froggy
    Date: Mon, Jun 27 2011 03:36:00

its not about working or not for me its about u getting that feeling lol if it doesnt work for you, then you cant improve upon it. PrinceXD

15. Cloud
    Date: Tue, Jun 28 2011 00:58:18

ive done it before, works pretty well it helps busting a bit, normal trick, but screws up palmspin and such. the pen seems to flow a bit more. i dunno how you could improve it. rattles a bit tough... :(