UPSB v4

General Discussion / Being objective about my own combos

1. Hippo2626
    Date: Thu, Jun 23 2011 00:55:57

I've been facing this problem since I started spinning and I'm wondering if anyone else understands this. Every time I watch my own combo or spinning (on video or in real life), I can't tell if I'm spinning fast or slow or if I have style but when I watch others it's clear as day. Also when I record a combo, it seems as though the things that I planned to be the difficult of creative parts seems much less difficult or creative. In terms of execution, the the smallest execution flaws seem to always stand out to me. Any tips on how to be more objective or discerning about my own combos?

2. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Jun 23 2011 01:26:47

I have the same problem, everytime I see my combo's the guy who did it is "Awesome" so I immediately think that combo is awesome as well. In my case I could remedy this by picking a different user name. You could try filming then looking at your combos a few days later, that might help. Maybe try watching lots of videos, if you haven't already, so you have more to compare with. Just try your hardest to not notice that is is you spinning and look at it the same way as anyone else's combo

3. spinford
    Date: Thu, Jun 23 2011 01:35:22

Hey I'm not alone. When I spin and make my own combos, It seems as if my combos are plain and simple and that I always wonder if I have the style that I wished I have. I just say to myself that this is my combo and that I have a unique style that no one has and that its really pro XD

4. Riley
    Date: Thu, Jun 23 2011 01:47:47

I have the same problem. My spinning looks so bland and boring, yet I can't find what's wrong. Everyone else seems to look so much distinct from normal spinning. I don't really have any advice, but maybe our styles haven't really developed yet, or people actually try to have pleasing styles. (I'm unsure of that though)

5. Kiiro
    Date: Thu, Jun 23 2011 02:05:22

I dont have a problem with speed but I cant tell if i have good style or not I think my style is pretty bad

6. wotu1
    Date: Thu, Jun 23 2011 03:16:27

I have this same problem too. when im done filming, my combo looks terrible. its like the parts i tried to emphasize are plain and bland. And i cant tell if i have a style or not =\

7. Pen Ninja
    Date: Thu, Jun 23 2011 05:04:12

this is fairly standard, ive had some time to think it over, nobody seems to like their own spinng, nobody seems to think it's new or creative... but every1 forgets that they've been watching their own spinning every day... sure ur style might seem old and bland... but thats because it's urs ur links might seem overused... but only because uve watched urself practice those links over and over the difficulty might seem lower than u wanted... but that's because all these tricks are easy enough TO YOU, to do in a combo where as everybody else out there, hasnt watched ur style of spinning 5 hours/day, hasnt seen your new and creative links before and hasnt done so much practice with those difficult tricks you put in. everybody says omg crazy shit to my videos... but to me, that's just how i spin normaly, so i tend to look down on it... but it's different to other people. I can imagine this hits you especially hard hippo, just because of the style u have. to us, u do things we've never thought of, so it's amazing, to you... you think of this all the time... so it's normal =[

8. blahblahting
    Date: Thu, Jun 23 2011 05:45:24

that's the reason i like to ask for others' feedback. every combo i churn out looks like shit in my own eyes (especially my hand/arm/setup, imo)

9. fang
    Date: Thu, Jun 23 2011 17:13:18

agreed with pen ninja, But still, I am not quit happy with my combo's