UPSB v4

Off-topic / Being absent from school.

1. Enkronidus
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 09:40:58

Hi, I have a question here. Well, for myself. I have a feeling that school isn't a totally necessary thing and plus that I'm not a totally healthy person myself. I have been absent a lot since Grade.. 1? And I'm still one of the top in the classes, spend some of my time study and make research on my own. So, right now I'm in high school. The rules of the school are a little different from before. The basic system here in Thailand for school applies that you can't be absent for over 20%, or you won't have enough properties and therefore, won't be able to take the final examination. But in some schools are kind enough to be tolerant and give you extra works and/or you have to go take the summer course to fill your present state. I'm currently studying in English-Program system, so I gain a small privillage to normal students in my school. But still not sure what's going to happen. I know that the point of making such thing here in Thailand is to keep the students in the 'right place for them'. But not that all of the absent students go to arcade or shopping at the mall, especially if some of them are still doing good with their study. So they should at least permit for the 'good' students, but not really. Of course, we can just hire a teacher to teach us at home, but let's say I have a reason not to do that. So anyway, I'm asking whether or not the schools in other countries are strict about the absent of student and how?

2. Krypton
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 10:12:03

Mine is, and the school demands an explainatory letter from the parent. I've been absent a couple of times but I couldn't be bothered to get my dad to write one. The overall attendence throughout the term will be recorded in my report card though, but I don't care, my dad knows I'm at home because of some unpleasant events in school/lazyness. But the idiots who skip school to arcades and stuff should be whipped for making other students life hard. Oh, and a friend of mine was absent for 20+ days, and that was during March O_O. He didn't offer letters, so naturally he got an official warning from the school.

3. Twine
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 10:37:30

At my last school things were super strict. You miss a day and you had to have a legit letter with signatures or some type of confirmation and you had to copy the work from someone else. Now 2 years later at the next school things are totally different. Wag as much as you want but it's your own future which you're fucking up.

4. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 10:44:25

20% is good, if I miss 1 class I have to have a good reason for it or a letter from my parents or just a call from them But other schools are more strict than our school :lol:

5. fang
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 12:18:21

In the netherlands high schools are very strict, if you miss one hour, you have school detention for 2 hours....

6. Raos
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 12:18:29

my old school no one gives a shit. New school you have to have a note

7. Rarity
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 12:41:40

My school is really alright with absences. You just have to send a letter from your parents to your homeroom adviser which states the reason why you were absent. If you're absent on a test day, then you will be given a makeup test when you get back.

8. Minlaotion
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 14:18:11

For us we just have to send a note for whatever reason you were absent for from a parent or doctor like sick or whatever and if you are absent on a test day you get F

9. Awesome
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 15:17:55

My schools didn't care at all

10. JackyMacky
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 15:29:50

Ever since people started doing ditch days and what-nots, my school threatened that any senior who is absent on that certain day will NOT graduate. Not to mention "tardy sweeps." LOL. Other than that, we need a note; then we have to go into this super long process that I'm too lazy to explain.

11. Wisp
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 15:55:23

Well we can't miss >5% of term time. Otherwise we're screwed.

12. bubbles
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 17:22:49

In my school you can be gone basically the entire time, they even let people only come in for like an hour every 2 days. Its a self paced school and if you dont show up and dont get your work done you just carry the course over untill you finish all of it

13. exclusive
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 20:16:22

bubbles wrote: In my school you can be gone basically the entire time, they even let people only come in for like an hour every 2 days. Its a self paced school and if you dont show up and dont get your work done you just carry the course over untill you finish all of it
    are u taking online courses? lol here we just bring a note with a parent/doc signature

14. Mufoofee
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 21:05:36

My school is strict as well. I can only miss a total of 5 days of the whole school year. If we do miss 5 days without propper excuses we cannot graduate. If we are absent they want a specific letter on why I was absent. They havethe right to fine me if i miss too much. If i do miss a school day and don't have any letter than i have to do 8 hours of community service for each day missed.

15. Enkronidus
    Date: Thu, Jun 23 2011 12:13:52

Okay, life is now happy. >.> My parents had a chat with the school office today and they permitted. Maybe I should go study in Canada in the future or something. D:

16. TheAafg
    Date: Thu, Jun 23 2011 18:06:01

Enkronidus wrote: Maybe I should go study in Canada in the future or something. D:
    it ain't all that easy here bro. Group assignments and some projects you can only work on them in class. We barely even touch our textbooks. We get worksheets which are quite useful. You miss a lot of classes = you will fail cause you have no idea what the hell we studied. +1 detentions for skipping classes

17. chris
    Date: Thu, Jun 23 2011 22:05:47

I can only have 9 absences a school year (or a semester, I think.)