UPSB v4

General Discussion / How To Learn/Practise Linkages

1. Krypton
    Date: Tue, Jun 21 2011 14:37:33

Okay I've search thoroughly this time and am positive that no similar thread had been created before, since I've been flamed several times. So, Alvaris and I were discussing linkages a while ago and I find that it is easier for me to learn linkages with breakdowns. Alvaris on the other hand learns a linkage 'visually'. Which is better, which is more popular and what are the pros and cons? Please give your opinion, it'll be much appreciated :)

2. Soren
    Date: Tue, Jun 21 2011 14:45:48

breakdowns are easier, because you know exactly what trick is being used if you can indentify each trick on your own visually, then breakdowns wouldnt be nesessary

3. Spin4fun
    Date: Tue, Jun 21 2011 14:59:24

Supergirl wrote: breakdowns are easier, because you know exactly what trick is being used if you can indentify each trick on your own visually, then breakdowns wouldnt be nesessary
    ^ agreed

4. ChainBreak
    Date: Tue, Jun 21 2011 15:20:36

I firt learned by watching videos and reading the breakdowns, but after some time I could figure most parts I wanted to spin without having to read the breakdown. So now I do it visually it's just easier for me now .__.

5. Alvaris
    Date: Tue, Jun 21 2011 16:20:50

only when you can't figure out a trick or what he did there then check the breakdown. if not, visually all the way

6. Van
    Date: Tue, Jun 21 2011 18:07:54

I never check the breakdowns, cuz I can't memorize words :/ Breakdowns just looks like a book to me, too boring to read unless it's really interesting When I see some link I like, I see it, and do it as I see, not the way it's written. U can see how the trick looks better when it's actually being done, and not just words. Sure if u don't know what trick it was u can ask for tue breakdown, but after infer the breakdown I just remember the tricks that was used, not nessasary the order. So I put the trick my way, and boom. New linkage

7. AWtii69
    Date: Tue, Jun 21 2011 18:58:59

i usually learn visually, because that way i can tweak it to make it my own and its more original. also for some reason i cant efectivally carry out a combo unless its short. same with school for me, all my teachers want me to take notes, but i am a audible learner, i dont need something written for me to make it good

8. Awesome
    Date: Tue, Jun 21 2011 19:50:43

what about the original route? just think what tricks you want to put together and then do them.

9. blahblahting
    Date: Tue, Jun 21 2011 20:25:07

visual. preferably from a very clear slow motion thing. a good deal of spinning is tough to break down, and a lot of stuff that can be broken down is hard to figure out without a video (breakdowns do not show palm up/down, direction changes, etc)

10. spinford
    Date: Tue, Jun 21 2011 20:33:05

I dont follow breakdowns. I MAKE MY OWN LINKAGES!!! ^^ Linkages made by yourself will express your style of spinning. Copying linkages is like plagerism in my opinion. Make your own linkages is better actually! ^^

11. Van
    Date: Tue, Jun 21 2011 20:48:29

Wat if ur style sucks cuz ur linkages u made up sucks? *cough*

12. fang
    Date: Tue, Jun 21 2011 20:52:27

@Van then you will penspinning like me.....

13. Riley
    Date: Tue, Jun 21 2011 21:49:35

There should be the options both, and I make the myself. I do all three.

14. blahblahting
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 03:11:15

@spinford still, looking at others' links is good. you can always make slight variations from them, and if you keep making variations of those, you might end up with something completely original :P i think its a combination of learning other ppls links, modifying others' links, and making your own

15. Twine
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 04:27:47

Visually

16. Krypton
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 09:01:36

Thanks for the feedback guys, I had some new insights. But if you learn the breakdown, you can do it yourself and develop your own style of that particular linkage right? And I'm still quite new, so I am probably not that used to learning visually. So I suppose the verdict is: learn linkages from breakdowns until you're experienced enough to learn them from watching and develop your own linkages.

17. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 09:40:36

I think this discussion boils down to a deeper topic, Fleming's VAK/VARK model. Basically there are several types of learners. Visual learners, kinesthetic learners, audio learners and writing/reading learners are those I can think of right now. So you have to figure out for yourself which type of learner you are and then apply it. Of course there are some ways of learning that are really hard in the context of penspinning like learning audio and there are some that aern't listed that are pretty good. whatever floats your boat man. Personally I learn linkages by coming up with them through many different ways. I put in a lot of effort to not get my linkages from others or get influenced by other spinners.

18. Axeeeel
    Date: Fri, Jun 24 2011 06:40:38

alotof stuff you can find and combine with alotof way to get some hybrid trick...just improve your brain to get and make something different be creative lol ;) ex: sponge , fel2fram , s777

19. sangara
    Date: Fri, Jun 24 2011 20:51:42

Copy, Copy, Copy. Steal, Steal, Steal. Don't get caught.

20. MUSIIX
    Date: Sat, Jun 25 2011 03:41:31

Breakdowns are a little harder for me, cuz sometimes I don't understand it. Visually would be better in a sense that you can watch it and maybe even slow it down, to see the direction changes and other stuff. If I don't understand something, I just refer to the breakdowns to help me, only if I really need it.

21. MickChickenn
    Date: Sat, Jun 25 2011 04:29:23

BDs are inaccurate when linkages get too complex. Look at the BDs of Vics last few WT videos or some of Baarons videos BDs. Its impossible to understand them.

22. GigaByte
    Date: Sat, Jun 25 2011 06:59:39

for me i usually learn visually cuz lazy to ask a breakdown XD but sometimes when i feel i cant learn it by visual i will ask for a breakdown .. so , both