UPSB v4

Off-topic / Classical Music

1. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 04:59:11

We need to remake this thread. Discuss and ask anything related to classical music. Favorite composers: 1- Sergei Prokofiev 2- Gerald Finzi 3- Samuel Barber 4- Béla Bartók 5- Dmitri Shostakovich 6- Maurice Ravel 7- Sergei Rachmaninov 8- Rodion Shchedrin 9- Iannis Xenakis 10- Roberto Gerhard Honorable mentions: Jean Sibelius, Heitor Villa-Lobos, Ernst Krenek, George Antheil, Witold Lutoslawski, Aaron Copland, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Albert Roussel, Takashi Yoshimatsu, Petr Eben, Kevin Volans, Lou Harrisson, Joseph Haydn, Francis Poulenc, Selim Palmgren, William Alwyn, Frank Martin, Robert Simpson, Malcolm Arnold, Charles Wuorinen

2. strat1227
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 05:04:30

I have absolutely 0 knowledge or refined taste for classical music, but I like listening to it as background music lots of people listen to it actively but that bores me but it's really cool in the background for homework or driving or something

3. funnky
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 05:07:00

strat1227 wrote: I have absolutely 0 knowledge or refined taste for classical music, but I like listening to it as background music lots of people listen to it actively but that bores me but it's really cool in the background for homework or driving or something
    yeah id have to agree.:clap::sleep:

4. Raos
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 05:20:23

hey zumbo what era of classic music is your favourite? Classic, Baroque, Romantic, etc?

5. AwonW
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 05:38:53

DrakeOhMeteor007 wrote: hey zumbo what era of classic music is your favourite? Classic, Baroque, Romantic, etc?
    Lol, look at his top composer list. 20th century no doubt.

6. Morpheus
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 05:39:43

Chopin didn't make the list?? :O

7. strat1227
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 05:49:20

zbo loves his dissonance lol, not much of that in early composition so by default he likes later stuff

8. Jazz
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 06:00:56

DrakeOhMeteor007 wrote: hey zumbo what era of classic music is your favourite? Classic, Baroque, Romantic, etc?
    Jazz :D In particular xD

9. Clyde
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 07:52:07

requiem - mozart o fortuna

10. spinford
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 11:15:33

I love songs that are near the romantic and contempary era like for example the song erlkoing

11. TheAafg
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 11:50:57

I have absolutely no idea what classifies as classical music -___-

12. Raos
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 11:53:10

spinford wrote: I love songs that are near the romantic and contempary era like for example the song erlkoing
    So u like Schubert? I like beethoven, Mozart, Bach, hayden, bruch, linzt, Berlioz, Schubert, and a lot of others

13. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 13:31:45

spinford;108105]I love songs that are near the romantic and contempary era like for example the song erlkoing[/QUOTE] Der Erlkönig was composed in 1815, it's nowhere near contemporary. In fact it's early romantic. [QUOTE=DrakeOhMeteor007 wrote: hey zumbo what era of classic music is your favourite? Classic, Baroque, Romantic, etc?
    lol all the composers in my top 10 are 20th century.

14. Tialys
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 16:31:04

Zombo wrote: We need to remake this thread.
    I wonder what motivated you to make this thread?! :ssst: When I was studying music there were classical songs I liked to listen to. Here are a few: Clara Schumann - Scherzo Op. 10 Mozart - Piano Sonata in A Major, 3rd Mvt. Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto in E Minor, Op. 64, 1st Mvt. Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique, 4th and 5th Mvt. Smetana - The Moldau Wagner - Tannhauser Overture Brahms - Symphony No. 3, 3rd Mvt. Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 Although analyzing the music for imagery was kinda cool, I eventually gravitated toward Romantic music and Chopin was my favourite composer. Today I listen to a lot of contemporary/new age music, especially movie and video game soundtracks. For example, the TRON: Legacy soundtrack by Daft Punk is really good; it's not classical music per se but it has a heavy classical influence.

15. King
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 18:31:26

I enjoy listening to it when im driving. And i notice i spin creatively when im listening :D

16. spinford
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 18:45:56

@Zombo sorry I used the wrong meaning I wanted to say romantic to contempary pieces

17. daniel0731ex
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 22:42:28

strat1227 wrote: I have absolutely 0 knowledge or refined taste for classical music, but I like listening to it as background music lots of people listen to it actively but that bores me but it's really cool in the background for homework or driving or something
    Funny because I'm the exact opposite. I prefer to listen to classical musics with my full attention, it allows me to capture and enjoy the musical emotions thoroughly. Songs, on the other hand, are often less rich in comparison, so I'm not missing out on much musical content anyways even when I'm distracted. Though on occasion, I do find some songs that are suprisingly rich; It's probably not good to generalize all of them as inferior, because the "classical" pieces we hear today are in fact a legacy of what are left as the best after being filtering from the works accumulated over several hundred years, while what we call "popular music" is a puddle of all the good works today mixed with bad ones altogether. It's unfair to compare a collection of gems enriched over serveral hundred years with unrefined ores that are freshly dug up -- containing mud alongside with precious minerals. I'm sure there were a lot of Rebecca Black and Lady Gagas back in the day of Mozart; they're just simply washed away by time and completely forgotten, because only those worthy of remembering would last. On a sidenote, it's not very accurate to refer the music from "the old days" altogether as "classical music"...but whatever.

18. Raos
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 22:45:33

Tialys wrote: I wonder what motivated you to make this thread?! :ssst: When I was studying music there were classical songs I liked to listen to. Here are a few: Clara Schumann - Scherzo Op. 10 Mozart - Piano Sonata in A Major, 3rd Mvt. Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto in E Minor, Op. 64, 1st Mvt. Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique, 4th and 5th Mvt. Smetana - The Moldau Wagner - Tannhauser Overture Brahms - Symphony No. 3, 3rd Mvt. Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 Although analyzing the music for imagery was kinda cool, I eventually gravitated toward Romantic music and Chopin was my favourite composer. Today I listen to a lot of contemporary/new age music, especially movie and video game soundtracks. For example, the TRON: Legacy soundtrack by Daft Punk is really good; it's not classical music per se but it has a heavy classical influence.
    i like most of what you listed you should check out Butterfly Lovers Concerto and Max Bruch Violin Concerto in G Minor Mvt. 1 those are my faves

19. daniel0731ex
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 22:59:31

@DrakeOhMeteor007 梁祝 is AWESOME!!!! I'm kinda unhappy with the cheesy English translation they gave this piece, by the way...

20. Raos
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 23:06:35

daniel0731ex wrote: @DrakeOhMeteor007 梁祝 is AWESOME!!!! I'm kinda unhappy with the cheesy English translation they gave this piece, by the way...
    :clap: hell yeah! now thats what im talking about!

21. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Jun 18 2011 04:19:00

if you like chinese classical I would recommend (aside from the 2 famous concertos everybody know) [video=youtube;4xB0_uUBuAY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xB0_uUBuAY[/video] <---- highly recommended [video=youtube;mPOmVAMirLY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPOmVAMirLY[/video] [video=youtube;BwtgssFZ-kg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwtgssFZ-kg[/video]

22. boshi
    Date: Sat, Jun 18 2011 18:53:43

personally, i hate all classical related music except neoclassical sax =] i like Ibert and claude t. smith

23. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sun, Jun 19 2011 00:41:34

Interesting composer, I've never heard of him. It's really good! Is it just me or there seems to be a bit of Mendelssohn influence in this particular concerto?

24. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Jun 19 2011 13:35:15

nice find daniel :) always happy to discover new composers this is definitely in the early/mid romantic style, the mendelssohn comparison is fair, there's also some asian pentatonic scales going on

25. Raos
    Date: Sun, Jun 19 2011 13:38:21

Zombo wrote: nice find daniel :) always happy to discover new composers this is definitely in the early/mid romantic style, the mendelssohn comparison is fair, there's also some asian pentatonic scales going on
    yes can someone give me lists of a good songs? I prefer violin concertos, symophonies. Other works are good too Im trying to get more on my ipod

26. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sun, Jun 19 2011 18:21:42

DrakeOhMeteor007 wrote: yes can someone give me lists of a good songs? I prefer violin concertos, symophonies. Other works are good too Im trying to get more on my ipod
    And also: Bach Violin Sonata/Partitas, it should be the first on your priority list.

27. Raos
    Date: Mon, Jun 20 2011 00:03:42

daniel0731ex wrote: And also: Bach Violin Sonata/Partitas, it should be the first on your priority list.
    ok thnks

28. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Jun 20 2011 16:13:03

my favorite: Sibelius violin concerto: [video=youtube;x6Kq0qMMpgU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Kq0qMMpgU[/video] another good one is Gerald Finzi's violin concerto (not on YT) the Alban Berg one is amazing [video=youtube;LtMAz70lFX8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtMAz70lFX8[/video] the Korngold one is good too, based on movie/broadway music. [video=youtube;3EsYUuGo8XA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EsYUuGo8XA&feature=related[/video] I also enjoy this concerto from Benjamin Lees (missing 2 mvmts on youtube) [video=youtube;3bdAKXbxbYA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bdAKXbxbYA[/video] finally I would strongly recommend the 2nd violin concerto by Krzysztof Penderecki [video=youtube;ux7iwDrkjc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux7iwDrkjc4[/video] the Barber too is not bad too.

29. daniel0731ex
    Date: Mon, Jun 20 2011 20:22:44

@Zombo Ahh Sibelius, I remember going to a concert last year with Gil Shahan playing this concerto. It was awesome, except I had to leave sometimes in the middle for washroom and couldn't re-enter...had to watch the entire final movement outside the hall from the screen :P

30. askdafudgecicle
    Date: Mon, Jun 20 2011 21:51:57

arnold schoenberg ftw

31. daniel0731ex
    Date: Fri, Jun 24 2011 18:10:30

Look what I found:

32. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Jun 29 2011 15:36:06

yeh its spinford