UPSB v4

Off-topic / Droid Phone Apps and Scripts

1. strat1227
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 04:00:49

Just got my Nexus S with Android 2.3.4, pretty fucking sweet I've already gotten some pretty sweet hacks, apps, and scripts on here. This thread is for anyone with a droid phone to request/share their stuff Some of my favorite features that I customized: ---Music automatically starts when headphones plugged in ----Automatically read aloud the day's forecast when my alarm goes off in the morning ----Phone goes into silent mode when laid face-down ----Throttles back battery usage when battery is low ----If it receives a text with a certain keyword, it will automatically respond with a Google Maps link of its location (in case I lose it) and some other more trivial ones ( i can post them if anyone's interested) Also I use ADW launcher with custom interface

2. strat1227
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 04:39:04

Also, "Teamviewer" is about the coolest fucking thing ever ... I completely control my PC at home from my phone, on my phone shows my PC's screen and I control it 100% ... so freaking cool lol Use this in conjuction with dropbox and you never have to plug your phone into the comp again

3. funnky
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 05:10:27

strat1227 wrote: Also, "Teamviewer" is about the coolest fucking thing ever ... I completely control my PC at home from my phone, on my phone shows my PC's screen and I control it 100% ... so freaking cool lol Use this in conjuction with dropbox and you never have to plug your phone into the comp again
    i agree. team viewr is the shizzz.

4. nateiskewl
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 05:26:08

strat1227 wrote: Just got my Nexus S with Android 2.3.4, pretty fucking sweet I've already gotten some pretty sweet hacks, apps, and scripts on here. This thread is for anyone with a droid phone to request/share their stuff Some of my favorite features that I customized: ---Music automatically starts when headphones plugged in ----Automatically read aloud the day's forecast when my alarm goes off in the morning ----Phone goes into silent mode when laid face-down ----Throttles back battery usage when battery is low ----If it receives a text with a certain keyword, it will automatically respond with a Google Maps link of its location (in case I lose it) and some other more trivial ones ( i can post them if anyone's interested) Also I use ADW launcher with custom interface
    Wow bro, you're a really super cool computer hacker. Do you think you could hack the mainframe for me?

5. strat1227
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 05:39:10

Lol i never said it was impressive, just that the functionality is cool (the scripting is actually very easy) if i was trying to impress you i'd post stuff i do at work because that actually IS impressive haha, this is just fun and cool

6. Mike
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 06:03:25

strat1227 wrote: [B]Just got my Nexus S with Android 2.3.4[/B], pretty fucking sweet I've already gotten some pretty sweet hacks, apps, and scripts on here. This thread is for anyone with a droid phone to request/share their stuff Some of my favorite features that I customized: ---Music automatically starts when headphones plugged in ----Automatically read aloud the day's forecast when my alarm goes off in the morning ----Phone goes into silent mode when laid face-down ----Throttles back battery usage when battery is low ----If it receives a text with a certain keyword, it will automatically respond with a Google Maps link of its location (in case I lose it) and some other more trivial ones ( i can post them if anyone's interested) [B]Also I use ADW launcher with custom interface[/B]
    First off, DUDE WHAT. I've seriously been wanting to get a Nexus S for such a long time now. Second, how DARE you remove the default launcher, IT'S STOCK GB MAN. EDIT: Screen caps of my phone. The ones that show everything in Black/White is what is running on my phone now. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2054783456023.127766.1437665308&l=d0b9c6ad7c

7. strat1227
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 06:25:40

@Mike nice dude, what rom is that? i didn't remove the default launcher, it's still there lol, i just don't use it haha I prefer ADW because I like my home screen to be 4x5 and i HATE that little launcher thing down at the bottom. I got rid of that and made a swipe up gesture open my app menu instead of having that intolerable little dock ps yeah get the nexus s it's sick. i'll take some newer screenshots of mine at some point (old ones are in SOYD thread, not up to date though) have you tried teamviwer? I just realized they have a linux client, i can control my netbook on my phone ... it's like having a fucking 4" super-tablet or something, i jizzed myself when i saw how well it works

8. Mike
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 06:50:14

strat1227 wrote: @Mike nice dude, what rom is that? i didn't remove the default launcher, it's still there lol, i just don't use it haha I prefer ADW because I like my home screen to be 4x5 and i HATE that little launcher thing down at the bottom. I got rid of that and made a swipe up gesture open my app menu instead of having that intolerable little dock ps yeah get the nexus s it's sick. i'll take some newer screenshots of mine at some point (old ones are in SOYD thread, not up to date though) have you tried teamviwer? I just realized they have a linux client, i can control my netbook on my phone ... it's like having a fucking 4" super-tablet or something, i jizzed myself when i saw how well it works
    Currently running Bionix 1.3.1, a ROM by Team Whiskey. Froyo based, installed the blackout theme, and have CPU overclocked to 1.4 GHz. I would have it at 1.5, but that's when my phone start getting unstable. You should really go to XDA to check out some ROM's. Personally I would recommend that you root your phone ASAP, and install Cyanogen Mod 7, as soon as possible. I'm guessing you bought your phone unlocked? I have not tried TeamViewer, nor have I ever heard of it, but now that I've seen it, I'm getting it.

9. neXus
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 10:05:19

I'm glad you like it.

10. Jazz
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 11:22:18

:D Looks like I should probably get a real one xD

11. strat1227
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 13:02:53

@Mike I unlocked and rooted it within an hour of buying it lol. Tried cm7 but didn't see anything special about it so just reverted back to 2.3.4 (nexus s can video chat in google talk, it's the only phone that can do that but it can't if it has a rom, so if I install a rom it has to be worth giving up video chat) Haven't overclocked yet but I have full insurance on mine so I probably will at some point. Your suggested method for doing out?

12. strat1227
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 20:23:44

Actually i'll probably not ever overclock it, the battery already dies after only about 4 hours of use (like actually doing things, but i'm always doing things on my phone)

13. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 21:51:40

Mike wrote: Second, how DARE you remove the default launcher, IT'S STOCK GB MAN.
    He's a ricer, that's all.

14. strat1227
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 23:05:49

Lol adw is identical except with 5 rows and no dock

15. strat1227
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 03:09:26

@Mike convince me why i should use cm7 i honestly can hardly tell the difference ... what's the advantage??

16. Explosion101
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 03:20:13

I got a Samsung Captivate last week and I wouldn't dare do anything that might damage it. (sideload, root, etc.) I'm too much of a wuss

17. strat1227
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 03:29:25

i do it to learn as much as because of the features tbh i installed a bunch of custom audio stuff in my car just to learn how haha, i rarely even used it same applies to this, i just like understanding how things work lol

18. Explosion101
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 03:30:51

strat1227 wrote: i do it to learn as much as because of the features tbh i installed a bunch of custom audio stuff in my car just to learn how haha, i rarely even used it same applies to this, i just like understanding how things work lol
    As do I, but I would come up with theories and ask around the Internet "is this true?" or "would this work?" instead of testing it myself

19. strat1227
    Date: Fri, Jun 17 2011 03:37:47

lol yeah but watching a video of someone riding a bike isn't the same as riding a bike, same applies to this, you have to actually do it to fully understand

20. Mike
    Date: Sat, Jun 18 2011 17:24:09

strat1227;107963]@Mike convince me why i should use cm7 i honestly can hardly tell the difference ... what's the advantage??[/QUOTE] Imagine getting a Lambo. It's good enough as is, in terms of performance and looks, but it can be tweaked to be even better. That's basically what cyanogenmod does with it's ROM's, or even what any developer does. [QUOTE=strat1227 wrote: My 3 home pages on my google nexus s (you swipe from one to the other, stretched out from left to right) http://www.upsb.info/cgi-bin/ups-b/wakaba/src/1308072422180.jpg http://www.upsb.info/cgi-bin/ups-b/wakaba/src/1308072405626.jpg http://www.upsb.info/cgi-bin/ups-b/wakaba/src/1308072433377.jpg Still working on it though, I just got it a few days ago
    Having widgets that use data can drain battery life a lot faster. How often do you actually use video-chat? Also, overclocking your phone won't be too bad, most of the time it should stay below 800MHz (normal use) and should stay at 100MHz while idle. The CPU usually goes into overdrive when running games, and such.

21. strat1227
    Date: Mon, Jun 20 2011 17:15:32

@Mike lol i know rom's are made to tweak, i've just looked at lots of reviews and videos and stuff and haven't seen any tweaks actually useful or interesting to me, i'm asking for specifics not about the concept of a rom i video chat with my gf pretty often, and she doesn't have a smartphone so she has to use her comp (google talk is the only app i know of that lets me be on a phone and her on a comp and it works)

22. strat1227
    Date: Tue, Jun 21 2011 22:49:00

grooveshark for android is fucking amazing. search for and either stream or download any music ever

23. Mike
    Date: Fri, Jul 1 2011 08:35:38

These games are distracting me from my homework.