UPSB v4

Collaboration Organization/Signups / The Physics of Pen Spinning

1. TheSpinner 3.5
    Date: Sat, Jul 3 2010 03:48:21

The collab that will focus on how physic is connected to pen spinning and its influence in pop culture . Will Need: Editors, Spinners, Those with a good handle on physics, Researchers, etc, I will come back to update this thread tomorrow.

2. Taikutsu
    Date: Sat, Jul 3 2010 04:47:29

/in

3. Kira_Gemini
    Date: Sat, Jul 3 2010 06:15:29

In/ Kira :)

4. Radek
    Date: Sat, Jul 3 2010 09:05:06

Looks pretty interesting, but I would not know how to really make it entertaining... I guess you mean something like teaching what is the moment of inertia by exemples, friction stopping palmspins, gravity making pens fall... It may look pretty much like a normal collab, except if people get really ingenious. ^_^ The best thing I can imagine is that the editor puts equations here and there during the vid, appropriate with the combos, like someone making a pendulum with wipers, and here put the harmonic oscillator equation (small angles approximation for pendulum), or something like this. How do you actually imagine this video, TheSpinner 3.5 ? I didn't exactly get your goal and the means to achieve it. Depending on what you exactly want this collab to be, I'm in. ^_^

5. TheSpinner 3.5
    Date: Sun, Jul 4 2010 03:32:11

Radek wrote: Looks pretty interesting, but I would not know how to really make it entertaining... I guess you mean something like teaching what is the moment of inertia by exemples, friction stopping palmspins, gravity making pens fall... It may look pretty much like a normal collab, except if people get really ingenious. ^_^ The best thing I can imagine is that the editor puts equations here and there during the vid, appropriate with the combos, like someone making a pendulum with wipers, and here put the harmonic oscillator equation (small angles approximation for pendulum), or something like this. How do you actually imagine this video, TheSpinner 3.5 ? I didn't exactly get your goal and the means to achieve it. Depending on what you exactly want this collab to be, I'm in. ^_^
    Your main paragraph is exactly what I had in mind lol(in terms of the physics aspect of the collab) But I would like to go much further Here's what I imagine for the collab(I look to Brian Greene's NOVA documentary, not the book, The Elegant Universe for inspiration in the order and structure of the collab): Introduction- A series of clips with a voice-over(either by me or whoever wants to do it) covering(quickly) what is pen spinning, its origins(and how it spread across the world), its influence in pop culture, and a highlight of the physics behind it(this "highlight" would be like a prepartion for the main part of the collab, the physics), which would lead up to sorta mini-collab of a few or more videos with solely spinning and music in the background Body- The main part of the collab discussing the some more of the origins and finally the physics of pen spinning. Would include a voice-over covering the entire body, demonstrations and interviews on a selection of tricks and combos(my physics tutor has agreed to offer her insight to the physix and if other spinners wanted to get some interviews they could) starting with tricks and progressing through combos easiest-hardest -The demonstrations would be accompanied by on screen equations if applicable, voice-over explanations, slow-mo and fast-mo(lol), and real world comparisons(such as the pendulum with wiper) I imagine the body would conclude with an explanation of the hardest combo out of all tricks and combos used and then another mini-collab End- summary of the tricks and combos used, an ending "highlight" of the physics of pen spinning with real world comparisons, a bit longer cover of its influence in pop culture, predictions of the future/insight for the future and ending with one main, larger collab End Credits- Editors, Spinners, Researchers, Special Thanks, etc. Much of the vid will be voice-over

6. TheSpinner 3.5
    Date: Sun, Jul 4 2010 03:38:33

I will need a collection of Editors, Spinners, and Physicians/Researchers and, Planners/Organizers also, I would like to cover the fundamentals, two or more advanced tricks and then 1 or 2 combos(more if possible) Since that is alot of tricks, I was thinking we could cover the fundamentals rather quickly and move straight into the advanced tricks and combos. But I dont want to disrespect the fundamentals lol and please more ideas would help lol Oh and by the way, I'm heading to Australia Tuesday for 3 wks but I'll still be able to plan from there email- [email][email protected][/email]

7. Radek
    Date: Sun, Jul 4 2010 04:26:16

Sounds more like an explanatory video than just a show off, may be very cool. Gotta plan things carefully though, it would be hard to give such physical insight on any random combos.

8. Hippo2626
    Date: Sun, Jul 4 2010 11:16:46

/in

9. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Jul 4 2010 12:31:43

/in. You may also won't to work closely with a few of the UPSB historians to get the facts, maybe a few interviews, sounds like a cool idea though. You may need less spinning and more explanations, etc. Also how long would this be? Full-length would actually be kind of appropriate... imo.

10. Hippo2626
    Date: Sun, Jul 4 2010 16:12:23

i would think a documentary type thing would be cool. I could help with providing some physics information but not all. Strat would be an invaluable person for this project as well.

11. mintypaladin
    Date: Sun, Jul 4 2010 22:47:54

/in