UPSB v4

General Discussion / Relation Between Debate Team and Pen Spinning?

1. Lightningpen
    Date: Sat, Jun 11 2011 03:16:09

In the area where I live, being on the debate team and being able to pen spin are inexplicably linked. There might be one or two members that don't pen spin, but for the most part, everyone who debates can at least do a thumbaround. First of all, is this a universal thing? Have other people noticed this same pattern? Secondly, if debate and pen spinning are linked worldwide, why might there be a connection between the two? Obviously debaters get bored between rounds, but that still doesn't fully explain the relationship between the two activities.

2. Awesome
    Date: Sat, Jun 11 2011 03:18:53

I am pretty sure your debate team is atypical in that regard.

3. Lightningpen
    Date: Sat, Jun 11 2011 03:38:12

The thing is, it isn't just my debate team. Pretty much every other team in my state knows about pen spinning, and alumni that went to my school many years ago know about it as well.

4. Breezy
    Date: Sat, Jun 11 2011 03:41:21

It's cuz there losers

5. Aether
    Date: Sat, Jun 11 2011 04:01:21

In my team, there are only a few people that could do a TA, let alone actually spin.

6. darkdazh
    Date: Sat, Jun 11 2011 05:12:42

I started spinning because of debate. Everyone on the team could TA, and this one kid could sonic, charge, pass, etc. I saw him and started watching tutorials.

7. casual
    Date: Sat, Jun 11 2011 05:48:15

Yep, the debate team members of my school love doing charge and thumbaround with their G2's.

8. King
    Date: Sat, Jun 11 2011 06:15:46

All my debate team members can do a TA and a few can do a TA harmonic

9. Lightningpen
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 21:19:40

So it looks like there's a fairly good correlation between debate and pen spinning, at least on the most basic level. Anyone have any idea why?

10. Mufoofee
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 21:28:26

This is weird. Who would have thought that debate an Ps'ing where connected. I know this guy who is on the debate team, I saw him doing a TA and asked him if he PS'ed. He said he could do a TA and now I sometimes see him and I he can do a sonic a charge and Twisted Sonic.

11. Raos
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 21:29:49

@spinnerhui is in a debate team, we both know a person who can do charge, ta, cardoid etc thats in the the debate team and also psers a lot of them breakdance/cwalk/parkour

12. sangara
    Date: Thu, Jun 23 2011 00:35:47

It's not that weird. The first connection, both activities are pretty nerdy. Second, debate takes time to research topics, so there will most likely be a pen nearby at times when you are researching. Third, from my experience, debate teams are kind of close knit, so you're around your team members a fair amount of time. If you put all these together you're just asking something like pen spinning to sprout. If you notice pen spinning spreads like a virus. I would be more surprised if people in debate weren't doing the charge or thumbaround.

13. spinnerhui
    Date: Thu, Jun 23 2011 02:29:49

the type of people who pen spin tend to spend a lot of time either being active in there school while paying atention to their studies, or just studying a hell of a lot...this leads into a debate team!! ps. DEBATE RULZ!!