UPSB v4

Off-topic / Local Icons

1. Glamouraz
    Date: Fri, Jul 2 2010 17:04:22

What are your local icons? Things that the area you live in is good for? Anything interesting you'd to share? It's more of an exercise to build some general knowledge. Hopefully we can be interested, share, contribute and learn some stuff about the places where other spinners live! I hope many will be! Can be your country, town, city, village etc.. I'll start, of course, you can always ask about other people's things here, or you can ask about mine! Singapore: There's a flag under my avatar, you can see it. We're known for the fountain of wealth. Biggest fountain in the world I think. Here're some pictures: It's nice. Other things we're known for is our culture. We've 4 main races and we're all stuck on an island with nowhere to go, somewhat similar to those in the show Lost, except on a much larger scale. One interesting thing is that you can't even see our country on the map. It's too small! You'll see the name Singapore though, if you look close enough! I'll post more later. What interesting stuff do you guys have? :)

2. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Jul 5 2010 00:19:08

hmmm montreal is known for this: tallest inclined tower in the world...

3. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Jul 5 2010 01:38:24

The Arch Busch Stadium

4. Glamouraz
    Date: Mon, Jul 5 2010 12:07:46

Nasi Lemak Milo Dinosaur Marina Bay Sands Just opened recently. I went in there last week. Looks really cool. JJ Lin @Zombo, how do they even make that stand? @Shoeman6, tallest flat building in the world?

5. Calvin
    Date: Mon, Jul 5 2010 13:10:51

What Zombo posted is also part of the Olympic Stadium made for the summer olympics back in 1976. My part of Quebec, the Saguenay is known for it's blueberries! We also have a lot of people with ''Tremblay'' as a family name.

6. Gland
    Date: Mon, Jul 5 2010 13:23:25

Glamouraz wrote: Nasi Lemak
    man, I don't think so Nasi Lemak is Singaporean local icon <_< that was also popular in Malay, in Indonesia it was called Nasi Uduk with the same taste. IMO, that is general food in some country of Asia Pacific

7. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Jul 5 2010 13:35:17

Glamouraz wrote: @Shoeman6, tallest flat building in the world?
    It was a joke cuz zombos pic showed up as a ladybug instead of his picture =P. So I had a ladybug pic too. But Zumbo fixed it =(.

8. Glamouraz
    Date: Mon, Jul 5 2010 14:06:52

Oh alright! Here's more from Singapore! They're not all just unique to singapore, because over here, we're a mixture of many cultures so what you can find here you can find in the surrounding countries also Ban Mian: Fishball noodle (Meepok) Wanton noodles Merlion (fountain) Merlion (statue) Sir Stamford Raffles

9. Resonance
    Date: Mon, Jul 5 2010 14:19:15

The Western Wall I guess? it's SUPER crowded in this pic for some reason, probably some holiday or something.... just wanted a pic of the whole thing. yeah, not that exciting~

10. hoyeesuan
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 10:50:42

o.0 upsb tourism?

11. k-ryder
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 11:10:49

Perth, Western Australia: ..... this, i guess.... its 82.5m high and makes really annoying bell sounds dont come to perth, its a hell hole actually, come to perth for this: [video=youtube;TBqXfAL6V28]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBqXfAL6V28&videos=cRtuKR16RNk[/video]

12. JC
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 11:19:18

Statue of Liberty Empire State Building Time Square Central Park Our yellow taxi cabs Our food stands (mostly hot dog/peanut stands) Brooklyn Bridge Andd allll our tall buildingsss :3 http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/78/NYC_wideangle_south_from_Top_of_the_Rock.jpg Then there's also... -St. Marks Place (one of my favorite streets to eat) -World Trade Center (now that's a memorial place for 9/11) -5th Avenue (huge shopping street) -Macy's (famous for being the biggest Macy's in the world (I think..?) and for their parades/firework shows -- the store itself is the size of the whole city block.. if anyone knows how large that is...) -Our public transportation system..? (Our subways/bus system is pretty extensive) -Our wide variety of ethnicities... NYC represents almost every ethnicity somehow in a form of food or store or people somewhere -Our population (we have over 8 million people in NYC alone (18+ million in NY state), making NYC have the highest population for a city in the US...... 2nd most populated city is LA with 3.8 million (less than half of that of NYC)) -We never sleep... I was out in the city til like 4am one time, a decent number of stores still open and people walking around... and all the other stores/people start opening up again around 7-9am-ish) -Oh, and there's also this John Chan guy ;D he's pretty awesome too! Maybe more so than all of that stuff up there!!

13. Clyde
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 11:30:09

robin padilla, filipino action star,icon of the "BAD BOY" persona in the Philippines luneta park, has the statue of our national hero Jose Rizal Banaue rice terraces

14. Glamouraz
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 15:39:06

Yep, sorta like tourism on UPSB! Whoa JC, central park looks frikin huge, bigger than anything you can find in Singapore. Does it really have animals in there? Sentosa Island Cable Cars Singapore skyline Fullerton Hotel. It's a 6 star Hotel that used to be a post office. Going there tomorrow for dinner to celebrate my birthday I think. Yay! :) Esplanade - It's those 2 durian like structures. They are performing theaters. Phantom of the Opera was held there when it came to Singapore. It has loads of good food nearby too! Really cool place. Looks like a pair of eyes on a fly when you look at them from the top lol. Our railway system. The Island is pretty small. This pretty much covers alot of it already and it takes just over an hour to get from one end of the green line to the other end. That's how small Singapore is. I stay just across the road from the station Chinese Garden. My School is near Phoenix Station. Most of our gatherings is around City Hall. Woodlands is where one of the links to Malaysia is. Sentosa is at Harbourfront station. The skyline picture is a picture of Raffles place and the Esplanade is at City hall, at Promenade. It's where we have our gatherings too. There's a huge space there where we just sit down. Many people go there to dance too! See if you can spot them on map! :) @Clyde, Have you been to those terraces? @K-Ryder, what's the name of the building? And I would go to Perth to see Penja spin! :)

15. XYZaki
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 16:56:08

1. You forgot Derrick Hoh. 2. Fullerton Hotel? Trolololololololo.

16. xSpin
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 17:14:01

k-ryder wrote: Perth, Western Australia: actually, come to perth for this: [video=youtube;TBqXfAL6V28]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBqXfAL6V28&videos=cRtuKR16RNk[/video]
    Why? It's not even that great.

17. Awesome
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 17:58:27

Persians: kinda like a cinamon roll with pink icing on it, but better, so really delicious ;D Sleeping giant: Its mountains that are supposed to look like a giant lieing down. The legend goes that there was a bunch of silver there and it was supposed to be kept a secret but some people found out about it and wanted to mine it so this guy turned into a stone giant and laid down over top of it so they couldn't get to it. There are camp grounds and a bunch of trails all around it to hike on. Terry Fox monument: The monument built near where Terry Fox had to end his run across canada. If you don't know who he is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Fox Mount McKay: (view from mountain)http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4648/2033367.jpg (its big and you should experience the wide view without resizing) Just some mountain, but the view is pretty impressive of the town if you go up it mountain itself: The hoito: Its a finnish restaurant, the pancakes are legendary, otherwise it would just be a normal restaurant, the prices are pretty reasonable too. There is usually a line up to get in though.

18. XYZaki
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 18:06:24

Also: Ahem, Los Angeles

19. Glamouraz
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 19:32:50

XYZaki wrote: 1. You forgot Derrick Hoh. 2. Fullerton Hotel? Trolololololololo.
    What about fullerton hotel?

20. VendettaBF
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 22:09:41

Marsh Road Marcy Conrad, a young teenage girl who was murdered and raped by Anthony Broussard (her boyfriend), was left dead at a bridge on Marsh Road. Witnesses passing by the bridge late at night claim to have seen the ghost of the girl. As the driver looks at the rear view mirror, she will appear in the reflection, but as you look back, she's gone. It is said that she usually haunts couples that pass by the road. This area of Marsh Road is now closed due to the influx of "lookie-loos." this is the only interesting thing about Milpitas, there is a movie based on this too

21. nateiskewl
    Date: Sun, Jul 25 2010 00:53:09

22. Ohayo
    Date: Sun, Jul 25 2010 01:12:29

nateiskewl wrote:
    LOL

23. XYZaki
    Date: Sun, Jul 25 2010 04:07:39

Glamouraz wrote: What about fullerton hotel?
    I live in a city called Fullerton and it's a typical suburb so it's funny seeing a grand place like that named the Fullerton Hotel.

24. Sankaku
    Date: Sun, Jul 25 2010 06:12:33

For all of Canada, poutine Richmond Olympic Oval Lion's Gate Bridge Stanley Park Marijuana World's Narrowest Office Building, Sam Yee Building or something like that Whistler Ski Village and Resort Asian Drivers

25. Glamouraz
    Date: Sun, Jul 25 2010 15:11:32

Singapore Flier, it's the observatory wheel you see Marina barrage, floodgates to stop the river from overflowing or something. Alot of couples go there at night. F1 night race. The first in the world I think. The track's actually just normal roads that they block off during the race. You can see the Flier and the Esplanade in the picture and the track (the one that's lit up) goes around them. The tall structure in front is the Civilian War memorial, to remember the civilians who lost their lives during the war. Enjoy! :)