UPSB v4

Off-topic / Camera Angling Help

1. linli07
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 00:45:24

i need help for recording my pen spinning combo for my project but when i look at the video my combo doesnt look that good comparing to other pen spinning videos i feel discourge and i dont have a tripod so i have to do it handheld take a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqk8P3JeMx0 PLEASE HELP!!!! :(

2. iColor
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 00:51:29

stop posting mobile youtube links! Put your camera facing your hand.

3. linli07
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 00:53:30

my bad

4. exclusive
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 01:37:20

linli07 wrote: my bad
    can u repost the mobile link wanna try on ipod

5. linli07
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 01:39:03

just looking at my video and other pen spinning videos make me depressed and discourage :(

6. Raos
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 01:45:50

thats a good angle it fits ur style

7. linli07
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 01:58:56

cuz i want to impress people :/

8. AWtii69
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 02:06:33

tripods arent too much, get one! but other than that it works for you, you can set up something to hold ur camera up, if you fold paper a certain way, tape it to a surface higher than u like a shelf, and put stuff under it it works, i do that and i think its simple and cheap, i love it

9. Loanshark
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 02:17:29

First thing is to try to find a way to mount your camera so you don't have to hold it. If it's for a school project, I'd assume you would want it to look as professional as possible, and a stable camera is the most important thing. Since you don't have a tripod, you can try taping your camera to a lamp or to the wall. Be creative, I'm sure you can figure out a way. Next is to find a good angle. A completely vertical angle that you're using isn't that great because it's a rather unrealistic angle to look at pen spinning if you were to look at it in real life. A good angle would be an angle that people can actually see in real life, one that mimics the placement of other people. Just think about it, how stupid would it look if your friend watched you spin from a vertical angle, i.e. he put his face directly above your hand. Examples of good angles would be over the shoulder, or up and out to the left (assuming you're right-handed), both of which are common angles people look at pen spinning in real life. Hope that helps.

10. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 07:29:48

Look at videos of your favorite pen spinners and copy their angle. You want your angle, well, angled, bird's eye view isn't that attractive. and the camera facing you isn't that good either I use it cuz I find it easy to set up and I use both hands, but if you aren't using 2 hands its better to have it off to one side. Look at loanshark's post as well.

11. linli07
    Date: Sat, Jun 11 2011 20:35:02

@Loanshark my combo still doesnt look good :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbBNEjVPGvQ

12. XYZaki
    Date: Sun, Jun 12 2011 01:38:03

Black background = nonononononononononono. It looks cool at first, but then you realize that there's no way to make it look appealing to other people unless your name is Dongza.

13. Loanshark
    Date: Sun, Jun 12 2011 03:18:35

[QUOTE=linli07;105802]@linli07 Black background isn't really that great. Try to use a lighter colored background. Also, try centering your hand so that it's in the middle of the frame. Your angle looks good but throughout the video your hand and pen was in the top right corner of the video. Other than that, I actually think it looks pretty good. The reason why you think it's bad is because your spinning isn't that great. Improve on your spinning skills and you'll eventually see that your camera setup isn't so bad after all because you will have good spinning to pair it with. Just remember that camera setups and spinning skill makes up a good video. If you're the best spinner in the world, but have a terrible terrible camera setup, your spinning will look like crap. This works the other way; you can have the best-looking setup but if your spinning is not that great, your video won't seem that great either. --------------------------------- If you wanna get fancy try playing around with the lighting. I see in your video you didn't really use a light at all (except for sunlight) and it does look kinda plain. Experiment using lights so you can get a cool effect going on. An example would be putting a light right next to your camera, turning down the exposure, and turn up the shutter speed (if you can). Purely optional though, but IMO it'd look pretty damn cool.

14. blahblahting
    Date: Sun, Jun 12 2011 03:44:05

loanshark said, "you can have the best-looking setup but if your spinning is not that great, your video won't seem that great either." I'd like to point out that your spinning doesn't have to be the best for your video to look great. Really basic combos combined with stellar execution can give the impression of great spinning (examples: lots of HAL's spinning, some of xSpin's combos) But then again, good execution is necessary for ANY video to look good

15. Soren
    Date: Sun, Jun 12 2011 08:45:09

thats a good angle

16. linli07
    Date: Sun, Jun 12 2011 11:50:08

but i seen some parixer's tutorial and he has a black background

17. AoD1
    Date: Sun, Jun 12 2011 19:57:57

Dude lighter backgrounds + Good lighting + Good Execution = Great Combo

18. linli07
    Date: Mon, Jun 20 2011 22:37:05

everytime when i record my pen spinning i feel nervous is there a way to prevent it?

19. TheAafg
    Date: Mon, Jun 20 2011 22:38:26

linli07 wrote: everytime when i record my pen spinning i feel nervous is there a way to prevent it?
    practice spinning infront of the camera more.

20. linli07
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 15:28:37

Loanshark wrote: @linli07 Black background isn't really that great. Try to use a lighter colored background. Also, try centering your hand so that it's in the middle of the frame. Your angle looks good but throughout the video your hand and pen was in the top right corner of the video. Other than that, I actually think it looks pretty good. The reason why you think it's bad is because your spinning isn't that great. Improve on your spinning skills and you'll eventually see that your camera setup isn't so bad after all because you will have good spinning to pair it with. Just remember that camera setups and spinning skill makes up a good video. If you're the best spinner in the world, but have a terrible terrible camera setup, your spinning will look like crap. This works the other way; you can have the best-looking setup but if your spinning is not that great, your video won't seem that great either. --------------------------------- If you wanna get fancy try playing around with the lighting. I see in your video you didn't really use a light at all (except for sunlight) and it does look kinda plain. Experiment using lights so you can get a cool effect going on. An example would be putting a light right next to your camera, turning down the exposure, and turn up the shutter speed (if you can). Purely optional though, but IMO it'd look pretty damn cool.
    Thx loanshark :)

21. linli07
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 23:16:07

no matter how many tricks i learn my combo doesnt look smooth.

22. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 03:46:21

Try slowing the combo down? Going fast isn't exactly the best way to show off smoothness. I'm pretty sure s777 doesn't spin super fast and he's considered a smooth spinner.

23. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 04:25:22

Nachoaddict wrote: Try slowing the combo down? Going fast isn't exactly the best way to show off smoothness. I'm pretty sure s777 doesn't spin super fast and he's considered a smooth spinner.
    Supawit does it fast and smooth. I think it depends on the camera and how you keep the momentum going on. I tried to spin the slowest I can and it still look off. I could be wrong but that's what I think.

24. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 04:39:40

Yeah I'm not saying it's impossible to do...I'm just suggesting something that might help him. Different things work for different people.

25. Dudak
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 04:56:48

I doesn't matter how many tricks you know. What really matters is how well you can execute the tricks. You might know every trick in the world, but if they look sloppy or you can't link them together well, your combo won't look good.

26. browndog12
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 05:03:04

so this isnt about the angle of your camera at all...