UPSB v4

Off-topic / How much time do you add to take into account lateness?

1. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Jun 8 2011 22:07:29

At UofT, classes and meetings never start at the indicated time. If the class is supposed to start at 1:00PM, expect to start at 1:10PM at best. This is implicit and people do the math internally. I have some friends who are always late. For one of them, you have to factor in 1 to 2 extra hours to take into account lateness. For me, you should factor at most 20 minutes for lateness. On average, 10 minutes. For collab deadline, I factor in 1 week lateness. What do you follow?

2. King
    Date: Wed, Jun 8 2011 22:44:53

I take 10 minutes at the latest. If there is enough people to start said meeting then the people who are late should have a legitimate reason for their lateness. If theyre giving illegitimate excuses it is their loss to be misinformed about whatever the meeting is about.

3. strat1227
    Date: Wed, Jun 8 2011 22:52:35

Lectures start on time here as far as people, i don't interact with people if they're going to be late

4. tacohead12
    Date: Wed, Jun 8 2011 23:29:48

Filipino time means that an hour late is on time XD so my parties never really start until an hour or 2 after the planned starting time. So I always plan stuff earlier than I want

5. Pen Ninja
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 01:41:44

for things like lectures id leave it 5 minutes parties 10-45 depending on how formal collab: 24 hours

6. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 02:50:27

don't factor in anytime for lateness, if people are late they miss out. its a slippery slope cuz if people know you factor in for lateness they are going to take that into account and so on. If people don't show up on time thats their problem. Late is late.

7. Pudels Kern
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 21:23:56

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_quarter_%28class_timing%29 Lecture starts at 10:15 and we arrive at 10. Everyone is expected to be on time except for a few profs where we know they are always late. All my clocks are 3 mins ahead so I don't miss my buses. That's germany for ya. For PS related stuff: always last minute but no extensions of the deadline.

8. blahblahting
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 22:14:25

for my mom: whatever she says plus 10-20 minutes (add more time for longer initial estimates). Ex. Mom when can you be here? 10 minutes. That means 20 + minutes Ex 2. Mom when can you be here? 45 Minutes. That means 1:15+ @hoiboy

9. KTrinh93
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 22:50:20

I'm relatively punctual so I don't really need to take lateness into account but for my parents I might say that I have to be somewhere 5 minutes earlier because they usually take a little while longer to get out the door..

10. Tialys
    Date: Tue, Jun 14 2011 20:17:03

It really depends on the situation. If your plans are not contingent on the other person's attendance, as is usually the case with social events and larger gatherings, the person can be as late as they want because they are the ones missing out. If the person must necessarily be present, I'll wait 5-10 minutes, maybe 15 minutes, at which point I normally call them and ask them where they are. Most people I interact with are punctual, and those who are late are generally apologetic when they arrive, so occasional tardiness doesn't bother me if it's accompanied by a good reason. However, I do set boundaries for people who are habitually late by telling them I won't wait up and that they can join me at the event. While I'm not a stickler for punctuality, it's something I consider important. Being punctual shows that you respect the other person's time, and by extension, the person him/herself. For deadlines in school and work, it's more about scheduling and timing than respect. Nevertheless, I consider deadlines to be rigid unless there are extenuating circumstances. Something like public transit is out of my control so I have no choice but to wait. In the past I've had to wait for buses that were 45 minutes late due to severe winter weather.