UPSB v4

Off-topic / The Perfect Engine/Car

1. MickChickenn
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 17:38:43

My dad and I had a discussion about this the other day. The US government offered a reward of $300,000,000 (I think) to the first person to invent a car engine that had very little or no harmful byproduct and would never run out of energy if it was electric. My best idea was to design a car that was built like a watch, and have it cranked up like a watch, which would run it for a few years, but would eventually need to be cranked again, which makes it so it doesnt fit the reward. What do you guys think?

2. bonkey12
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 17:41:45

oh shit.

3. strat1227
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 17:47:05

you know those huge pendulums that swing based on the earth's momentum that they have in museums? that's a perpetual motion device, use that to charge your car. park it somewhere near one and plug it in, then it powers up then you can drive it till it dies then plug it in again BOOM perfect engine.

4. bonkey12
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 17:50:11

strat1227 wrote: you know those huge pendulums that swing based on the earth's momentum that they have in museums? that's a perpetual motion device, use that to charge your car. park it somewhere near one and plug it in, then it powers up then you can drive it till it dies then plug it in again BOOM perfect engine.
    but that seriously limits you.. if its parking somewhere near one.. or having enough time to charge it, charging takes time.

5. strat1227
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 17:54:45

lol nobody said it had to be pragmatic. that is a perfectly self-sustaining renewable, infinite power source with no negatives. perfect perpetual motion engine.

6. neXus
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 18:03:08

I doubt the US government would do such things. Plus the people most likely to invent such a thing are working in the auto industry, which, in this case the respective car company, would probably patent this technology and make much much much more than 300 million off it.

7. MickChickenn
    Date: Sun, Jun 5 2011 00:19:37

strat1227 wrote: you know those huge pendulums that swing based on the earth's momentum that they have in museums? that's a perpetual motion device, use that to charge your car. park it somewhere near one and plug it in, then it powers up then you can drive it till it dies then plug it in again BOOM perfect engine.
    Thats not a bad idea, but that would be a very slow charge, and inconvient.

8. nateiskewl
    Date: Sun, Jun 5 2011 01:21:46

That can't possibly be a perpetual motion device because as soon as you start extracting energy out of it, some is lost.

9. AWtii69
    Date: Sun, Jun 5 2011 01:37:21

every energy conversion makes heat, so it cant be 100% efficient. strat there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine, i dont think.... im prolly wrong tho

10. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sun, Jun 5 2011 02:20:11

If this is true, then it'd be a perfect example of the ignorance among US officials. I'm guessing that the law of thermodynamics and the conservation of energy is not part of the curriculum at schools where future politicians of the States are educated in. If not, well, this is pretty typical for the internet. Either way, it is :facepalm:

11. Awesome
    Date: Sun, Jun 5 2011 02:33:21

you can't get the reward with that though; read the "it would never run out of energy if its electric" clause. I heard something about magnets being positioned just right to cause a shaft to spin, I don't get how it would work nor did I look into it, but thats the best theory I heard for such a device lol EDIT: @nateiskewl It gains its energy from gravitational pulls. its a minuscule amount of energy, but unless the earth blows up or gravity is uninvented or something..

12. strat1227
    Date: Sun, Jun 5 2011 06:23:37

nate unless i drive enough to stop the earth from orbiting the sun, then it's perpetual motion