UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / What makes a pen well spinnable?

1. Advecticity
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 01:02:42

Some pens feel better when you spin them, and it's easier to do tricks with them. Why? I'm not asking about the obvious stuff. I'm not asking the pen being double capped/"balanced" as in COG = COP (they all are almost)/heavier/lighter. Why is the waterfall so nice to spin compared to other DC mods of similar weight. Why is the Firefly Mod weird when it spins, so different from the Minwoo mod, when they are pretty much the same shape (minwoo has heavier tip, but less grip. Caps content are the same). Probably weight distribution, but that's way too vague. In what way does it affect spinnability (beside from center-weighted/end-weighted).

2. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 01:06:07

I always say weight distrubution is the biggest part of it. I don't see how it's vaque. You have to have a good proportion of barrel tip and cap weight for good spinability. Also I find colors have an impact on my spinning and spinning background. If you can't spin by feel ( i can't ) and you have to you hand and sight I find a particular pattern and or colors on my pen helps me with spinability, solid body, contrasting caps and shiny tips on a background the same color as my barrel. If I put random designs on my mod it can throw me off. Ofc the aim is to be able to spin without staring at your hand which would effectivly get rid of this handicap.

3. Mufoofee
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 02:41:34

The way it is balanced. And maybe how heavy it is. If it is balanced than it should be easy to spin. If it is heavy you are going to have to use more strength and it doesn't really feel good. And Like Shoeman said, the colors. Try to spin nice looking pens. Ugly ones are just not very fun to watch.

4. Sam
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 05:41:52

the denseness of the body. kinda like how the ayatoris body is dense

5. PREDATORNET
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 06:05:43

I really support Shoeman's point on colors of the pen and background and stuff. Granted, you can do color variations of mods but i can;t spin anything that is black and white, very well. the surface I spin over MUST be brown or green. The colors must be bright, otherwise i won;t spin well. Also, i think what people find good in a mod differs, such as weight distribution. I like momentum and weight at the ends, but my friend likes the weight about the same throughout.

6. Froggy
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 06:50:21

to understand weight distribution... just make 2 identical mods.. but one with tips towards the ends and one with tips towards the COP both should then weigh the same.. but spins totally differently ...and thats how u adjust a mod to spin perfectly in your opinion eg: Key3 mod with standard tipping on the front will spin SLIGHTLY different i mean standard as in tip stacking.. not reversing the HGG tip its minor but if your fingers are sensitive to weight, u WILL feel the difference. PrinceXD

7. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 07:07:33

PrinceXD wrote: to understand weight distribution... just make 2 identical mods.. but one with tips towards the ends and one with tips towards the COP both should then weigh the same.. but spins totally differently ...and thats how u adjust a mod to spin perfectly in your opinion
    That's what I thought, which is why I came up with that "adjustable weight distribution" mod :P So you could quickly change the weight distribution to suit different combos without needing to take the mod apart or change to another mod (useful for live spinning I guess). And just adding to what you said, SC mods with COG=COP may feel unbalanced also because of this. When the center of rotation is not at the COG, off-centered to the right could feel different from off-centered to the left.