UPSB v4

Tournaments & Ladders / Awesome vs catfish

1. Awesome
    Date: Sun, May 29 2011 00:50:21

@strat1227 will be a judge so far and we'll pick 2 or 4 more depending how many more will volunteer. Awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9N90ugjyUE

2. catfish
    Date: Sun, May 29 2011 00:53:00

yaaay this will be fun ^__^ good luck :)

3. strat1227
    Date: Sun, May 29 2011 00:56:05

@Hippo2626 is a really detailed judge as well

4. Sc00t
    Date: Sun, May 29 2011 01:17:48

go catfish !

5. Hippo2626
    Date: Sun, May 29 2011 11:58:06

Sure I'll judge!

6. Raos
    Date: Sun, May 29 2011 14:19:46

i want to see awesome spin lol

7. GigaByte
    Date: Wed, Jun 1 2011 02:50:20

is this ladder match ?

8. Awesome
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 02:36:10

@catfish I guess we need one more judge if you two don't agree on the winnner

9. LIMIT
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 06:33:46

i can be the judge if you want to:)

10. catfish
    Date: Sun, Jun 5 2011 03:09:01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIvb_w_Jq3k&feature=channel_video_title heres my vid

11. Awesome
    Date: Sun, Jun 5 2011 03:59:25

Limit can judge ...I know when I am beat though...

12. catfish
    Date: Sun, Jun 5 2011 09:02:41

i liked your combo, the transitions were smooth ^__^ soo hows this gunna work now?

13. strat1227
    Date: Sun, Jun 5 2011 18:14:29

Ok i'll take a day or two to judge, I assume @Hippo2626 will probably do the same, we'll post our results and if they're not the same then we'll try to find a third judge

14. Hippo2626
    Date: Mon, Jun 6 2011 11:24:31

Yea same here. I'm gonna' be busy the next few days so it might take me 3 days. Sorry...

15. strat1227
    Date: Wed, Jun 8 2011 04:05:27

Opening comments--- Awesome: So this combo brings to light one of the things I most struggle with as a judge, how to deal with 1p2h. Ambidexterity is generally agreed to be a trait you're born with or not. However, obviously no one is born with the ability to PS in both hands, so even if you're ambidextrous you have to train both hand individually in order to get consistency. I personally will interpret this to mean that the difficulty of being able to do a certain trick on both hands is roughly double that of learning it on only one (because it takes twice as long). I won't give any inherent value to the idea of 1p2h, because to me it's just something you're either born able to do or not, but I WILL give increased difficulty due to the fact that it has to be trained. Ah. To be continued. I'll finish this up tomorrow, sorry guys but something came up :/ It'll be done by tomorrow afternoon for sure @catfish

16. Awesome
    Date: Wed, Jun 8 2011 04:32:10

I had to painstakingly train my ambidexterity D: (I am not "truly" ambidextrous) I agree with how you are treating it though

17. strat1227
    Date: Wed, Jun 8 2011 05:59:48

Yeah I assume it varies from person to person but that's the most fair way I could come up with to do it Anyway I just got back from dealing with that stuff and it's 2am so imma finish up judging tomorrow

18. strat1227
    Date: Wed, Jun 8 2011 17:28:43

[B]Opening comments--- [/B] Awesome: So this combo brings to light one of the things I most struggle with as a judge, how to deal with 1p2h. Ambidexterity is generally agreed to be a trait you're born with or not. However, obviously no one is born with the ability to PS in both hands, so even if you're ambidextrous you have to train both hand individually in order to get consistency. I personally will interpret this to mean that the difficulty of being able to do a certain trick on both hands is roughly double that of learning it on only one (because it takes twice as long). I won't give any inherent value to the idea of 1p2h, because to me it's just something you're either born able to do or not, but I WILL give increased difficulty due to the fact that it has to be trained. Catfish: Not much to say as far as extenuating circumstances or anything like Awesome's vid. A good mix of power tricks and standard creativity. Had to watch a few times to catch some of the linkages you used, pretty cool stuff. [B]Combo Comments--- [/B] Awesome: Noteworthy points of your combo:

[*]0:03 you kinda go offscreen a little, but from what I can tell it's a lefty MA x2 [*]0:06 lefty swivel bust [*]0:08 pretty standard hand transfer [*]0:11 IPBA Rev 2.0? I think [*]0:13 FL Ta x2
    Overall it seemed kinda like you knew 3 or 4 things you wanted to have in this combo, then you just freestyled in between them to get from one point of the combo to the next. I think I counted 4 twisted sonics/demon's sonics (which are basically just the same trick imo lol) catfish: Overall your combo flowed a lot better, it didn't seem quite as point-to-point as Awesome's was. You did do a lot of the standardy power-tricky type stuff, but I liked the way you made sure to add creative things in there too, the spiderspins and the anti-gravity thing. The bak sequence at the end dragged on too long though, it was more than 1/4 of your total combo which is a little unbalanced I think [B]Judging Criteria [/B] Filming: Other than going off camera for that little bit, overall I think Awesome was able to show his spinning a little better from his angle and stuff Difficulty: Even with Awesome using the 1p2h, I have to give catfish a pretty big advantage on this one, that was pretty close to first-round WT level difficulty on some of the stuff, and besides the swivel Awesome didn't really do anything too impressive on his left hand. Creativity: I'm again a little unsure how to treat 1p2h in this category, but even so I think catfish takes this one too, because he used a few things I've only ever seen 1 or 2 other people do (cont spiderspins) and Awesome's combo probably could be interchanged with a lot of his old combos as far as the tricks he used Smoothness: Both pretty equally smooth, Awesome's style is one that doesn't lend itself very well to being smooth but I think it was pretty smooth considering the combo [B]Results[/B] This one goes pretty easily to [COLOR="blue"]catfish [/COLOR]IMO, Awesome's combo looked good too but I think catfish was just a notch or two above the level that Awesome had. (You shouldn't have taken such a long break ;) ) Good battle guys @catfish

19. catfish
    Date: Wed, Jun 8 2011 20:05:58

Thanx for judging strat :)

20. Hippo2626
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 08:39:47

@catfish Sorry for the lateness. And I don't think I'll type out a post as long as strat... This battle seems very close in my opinion and I really don't wanna' use the WT judging system. I do apologise in advance for using numerical symbols to help me out. No judgmental implications intended. [B]Difficulty[/B] Awesome[B]Creativity[/B] Awesome=catfish. I felt both combos had a small amount of creativity (Sorry I'm kinda' strict when it comes to creativity) Both combos had an attempt of creativity but everything in the combos are not new at all. [B]Execution[/B] Awesome=catfish. Both combos could have been a little more controlled though Awesome's was better. However Awesome had a "weak" finisher execution so I'd say it's about even. [B]Appeal[/B] Awesome>catfish. This is something I've always noticed about catfish's combos. Even though there are many segments which should be the highlight of the combo, I just don't get that impact from your combos. One reason may be that your style seems a little underdeveloped but I dunno' there's just no wow factor from your combos even though they are incredibly difficult. Awesome's combo, though simpler, looked more attractive. [B]Variety[/B] Awesomecatfish[/B] Congrats!

21. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 17:19:02

Good battle catfish, you had a strong combo :)

22. LIMIT
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 17:22:24

nice both of you:) congratz catfish!:)

23. catfish
    Date: Thu, Jun 9 2011 19:43:06

Thanx :) and good job to u too Awesome ^__^

24. voigtz
    Date: Mon, Jun 13 2011 19:18:19

this is going to be good