UPSB v4

General Discussion / Pen Modifications Database

1. trust-no-one
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 03:23:55

Hi guys, I have recently been using Google Docs as a replacement for MS Office. I thought that a good use for the collabrative features would be to make a spreadsheet of pen mods with the pens listed in another sheet so that mods can easily be found for new modders like me. I thought that for each mod we could have the length and weight (if known) and the parts used, with links to the UPSB wiki so more data could be found. Below is the link, I have added one mod and 3 pens to it, but I would love for you guys to add more. I will add some more mods soon. https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmqXO9lHXRtIdGRpaGZFelNqYzFIb19nYzcxN1VRV3c&hl=en_GB&authkey=CO3XrLsI trust-no-one

2. Raos
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 03:34:20

good idea, this is going to be helpful

3. Jazz
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 03:40:58

Finished a entry there.

4. trust-no-one
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 03:46:51

Yeah, that was cool watching it be edited... I just looked away for a few seconds to work on a personal mod, and then BAM there was another entry. Thanks, I'm sure this will be a great tool. If editors have Google accounts, you can use the chat feature and we can discuss things.... not that that may be necessary, but it's a good ides tno

5. Sc00t
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 03:52:14

i clarified the weight on the kt and fixed some typos :o Woot already up to 4 pens

trust-no-one wrote: If editors have Google accounts, you can use the chat feature and we can discuss things.... not that that may be necessary, but it's a good ides
    hehe yep ^^

6. Soren
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 07:54:48

cool, nice start, cant wait to see it filled with mods

7. Krypton
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 09:24:12

This is very helpful for peeps unfamilliar with mods wanting to compare or search or something. Perhaps it's a good idea to categorise the pens, like SC/DC or by alphabetical order. Nice to see a newbie contributing to the community :D

8. trust-no-one
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 10:09:50

Thanks guys for all the additions, it would be great if someone could update a few of the rows with incomplete data, as I just did them with things I could see on the wiki :) I was thinking of a categorisation thing, but I think we should get some more data first, you can sort anyway inside google docs, so we just may need to find the best thing to sort them by. This is turning out well! I'm going to delete the pens tab though, as it had meaning in my origonal idea but seems to be redundant now. thx tno

9. mapjay
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 12:11:09

want to add in something like what tricks recommended for like power, top spin, normal spinning,etc.

10. Epic
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 13:08:08

i added the ZT it looks kinda confusing for the size so here it is 14.8-16.0 in small size depending on method 1 or 2 and 22.0 in the long form so there it is hope this helps

11. Elune
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 13:39:51

Added info 'bout VGG Mod ... I'll try to add smt more :) Good job :)

12. Froggy
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 13:55:02

there should never be a "recommendation" part as its really.. subjective impact mx for beginners?! wtf? LOL yes theres some obvious ones like BICtory, ComSSa.. btw.. RSVP MX really for beginner? o.O|| and there is a list of noob mods.. include those or not? PrinceXD

13. Raos
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 14:23:48

added 4 mods,

14. Elune
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 14:27:29

kuzu and Emboss added

15. Jacob8185
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 18:52:46

SEVEN, Saizen RSVP and G3, and Key3 mod added.

16. trust-no-one
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 21:34:36

Thanks everyone for all the mods that were added overnight (or at least overnight for me). Later on today I will tidy it up a bit. I'm not quite sure whether the recommendation section should be kept, as it is purely subjective, but we'll have to see what we do about that. tno

17. Van
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 21:36:50

this is an amazing idea :O i think the recomendation thing should be kept btw

18. jet
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 23:06:08

could we add a tip/grip/cap stat section to this?

19. trust-no-one
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 23:34:14

jet wrote: could we add a tip/grip/cap stat section to this?
    Yeah, I think that would be a good idea... I'll get onto it later today. Gotta go to a violin exam now.... I'm so damn nervous :{ tno

20. Flarion
    Date: Sun, May 29 2011 01:12:23

Alright, so I think that this is working out well, there are already a lot of mods up there. But I feel like there should be a better way of organizing them than just alphabetical. Because if you dont know what you are looking for in a mod, a name doesnt really help you all that much.

21. Mufoofee
    Date: Sun, May 29 2011 01:14:56

Pens used section would be nice. Good job!

22. trust-no-one
    Date: Sun, May 29 2011 02:01:40

Originally there was a pens used section, but it was so cluttered with mods like the s777 MX that use like 5 million different pens. It think it's enough to have a tip, cap etc and then a other section, it's less cluttered and almost anything else can be substituted. There's always the link to the wiki... Tips, Caps and Grips are all in desperate sheets in the BOTTOM LEFT of the document. These need to be filled, so it would be great if people can measure their parts!!! Also, there are some sections that need to be filled out, many of them random things, but Writable is a column that is not very well filled. tno

23. Kcom2002
    Date: Tue, May 31 2011 12:16:45

Keep It up!! I love it! :D

24. trust-no-one
    Date: Tue, May 31 2011 21:36:00

Thanks Kcom2002, It would be great if some people could weigh and measure some of their spare parts for the tips, grips and caps sheets in the bottom left, as these sections are looking kinda bare and will make the designing of mods easier... I will find my scales this week and measure some of my parts as well. I'm also going to make a few of the mods we don't have measurements for this weekend and we shall get some weights... This is coming along well! tno

25. trust-no-one
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 09:09:46

Hi, It would be great if people could add other mods and parts to the database, it's looking kinda empty.... also, I'm thinking about merging this with @yurchik 's db here --> http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=644 tno

26. Breezy
    Date: Fri, Jun 24 2011 00:29:10

Pretty good idea

27. jet
    Date: Sat, Jun 25 2011 23:41:40

could someone add the ktrinh mx?

28. MUSIIX
    Date: Sun, Jun 26 2011 07:40:14

I really like the idea! I can show them to friends if they want to learn pen spinning. I'm thinking of what other mods I can add there...

29. RicLu98
    Date: Sun, Jul 3 2011 23:31:57

i've noticed that some people but random spammy things cuz they thnk it's funny. someone should be moderating this and making sure the info is correct

30. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Jul 4 2011 03:02:54

Okay if you're really going to do a reliable database you can NOT let everyone just edit it themselves. Put in a little extra work and have people post suggestions in a thread and then you can move them into the database. Or hand the project off to someone with more experience and knowledge of the mods if you feel uncomfortable making sure the information that people give you is correct. Finally, why is this under general discussion of the Pen Spinning area? This should be moved to Pen Mods...

31. trust-no-one
    Date: Mon, Jul 4 2011 05:05:47

I like everyone editing it as we get more knowledge than a single person would have. Normally I would have got rid of the trolling by now, but I'm in Europe so I haven't really been checking it... Will fix ASAP edit: Removed editing and viewing functions until I get back to my PC in two weeks so can undo the trolling without further updates confusing it as I can't undo on my iPod. If people don't like the reliability I'll just leave it down. it seemed reliable until now, we even had some mods that weren't on the wiki :( tno

32. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Jul 4 2011 05:43:39

It's not one person's knowledge if you have people posting in a thread and then moving the information yourself...that's simply regulating the database so this kind of bs doesn't happen =_=

33. trust-no-one
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 03:46:44

Hai all, Back from Europe, it was so awesome. Shame I'm back in oz :( Pen Mod Database is back online, for now there are no global editing rights, just viewing. I may restore global editing soon once the glitches are fixed. PM me with your Google Account email address if you want editing rights. New suggestions can be posted here (as suggested by @Nachoaddict) but if you have lots I suggest you make a Google Account and request editing rights via PM. Also, I don't know the names of the mods that were spammed, so it would be useful if someone could post what they are (also the wights etc. that are missing). GL HF, tno

34. daniel0731ex
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 04:26:31

http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=5437 This one really deserves to be approved, not to mention being on the database.

35. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 04:43:13

Just because a mod is on the database doesn't mean it should be approved considering anyone could edit the database before. Pm iMatt if you really think something needs to move. I haven't seen a tutorial getting approved in quite some time.

36. trust-no-one
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 04:45:55

@Nachoaddict No one said that just because a mod is on the database it should be approved, as that mod isn't even on the database. He just said that it should be approved AND on the database because it is a good mod. tno

37. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 04:48:02

Parallelism has tricked me. My mistake.

38. trust-no-one
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 04:49:14

lol that's ok tno

39. daniel0731ex
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 05:10:29

@Nachoaddict Nah I guess it was my fault. Should've made it clearer in the first place. As for tutorials being approved, well, I guess my Yo-yo Mawd was an exception then, maybe the mods was having mercy on me, seeing that I was a beginner, and decided to give me a little treat then (which I guess I got a bit cocky after that :P).

40. mapjay
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 09:26:42

Y list my mod? Approve teks mod first