UPSB v4

Off-topic / What makes you mad to people that say asians are smart and their good at math?

1. linli07
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 13:13:08

k im asian and im not that smart but i get pist when people talk sterotype.

2. Loanshark
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 13:17:40

Obviously you don't seem that smart at all.

3. i.suk
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 13:28:16

they can say what they want, it should make no difference to how you feel.

4. Clyde
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 15:45:24

yeah I don't think that stereotype is true, we just got back from hongkong and the salespeople can't even do 1400/2 mentally lol...

5. AWtii69
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 16:09:23

well, who cares what they say! a lot of asians are smart.dont let things like that bother you

6. Explosion101
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 16:14:54

a stereotype is when you insult a race due to popular belief saying asians eat fried rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner is a stereotype saying asians are smart is not

7. Clyde
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 16:51:05

Explosion101 wrote: a stereotype is when you insult a race due to popular belief saying asians eat fried rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner is a stereotype saying asians are smart is not
    well idk in your country, but here in ph japanese/chinese/taiwanese/korean = good in math = stereotype, not smart

8. neXus
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 17:28:44

Clyde wrote: yeah I don't think that stereotype is true, we just got back from hongkong and the salespeople can't even do 1400/2 mentally lol...
    I'm sure they can it's just a habit to type everything into a calculator because not every customer has something as esay as 1400/2.

9. beebop
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 17:41:52

the thing that makes me mad is that sometimes people think asian ppl are smart and good at math but are no fun, and lack social skills.. some people think asian people are all boring and thats just plain stupid not one person on this world is the same as the other person right? i want people to treat others with respect no matter what the hell they are thats what makes it annoying. and they should treat asians with some care because the asian market is gonna be a big one sooner or later but thats not the point haha the thing about asians being smart doesn't hurt me, thats a good thing, the thing about asians being human calculators and nothing else is shallow but only some people are like that, dont get me wrong many people are respective toward asian people and i do not want to offend anyone plus im asian -_- v

10. strat1227
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 17:47:11

Explosion101 wrote: a stereotype is when you insult a race due to popular belief saying asians eat fried rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner is a stereotype saying asians are smart is not
    lol wtf on what planet is that true?? "A stereotype is a popular belief about specific social groups or types of individuals. Stereotypes are standardized and simplified conceptions of groups based on some prior assumptions" a stereotype doesn't have to be an insult, it's just when someone assumes something about a person based on the group they belong to. IE: He's Asian, so he's smart.

11. Awesome
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 17:52:45

a stereotype is a useful tool in social setting if it is not misused. Asains usually come from strict families that push for academic excellence so if you see someone who is asain, chances are he works hard in school. you can use stereotypes in lieu of better information. as long as you remember its just a probability and the person could be completely different from it, as soon as you have something else to judge their character on the stereo type should be dropped.

12. nateiskewl
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 18:11:32

Awesome wrote: Asains usually come from strict families that push for academic excellence so if you see someone who is asain, chances are he works hard in school.
    I don't know what an "asain" is, but most Asian people I know aren't pushed in school. The handful of Asians I know who are pushed in school aren't the best at anything, but instead good at most things (except for languages).

13. Storm
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 18:20:26

^ That.

14. strat1227
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 18:23:18

nateiskewl wrote: I don't know what an "asain" is, but most Asian people I know aren't pushed in school. The handful of Asians I know who are pushed in school aren't the best at anything, but instead good at most things (except for languages).
    The overall validity of your argument is severely ruined by that terrible attempt at trolling or grammer nazi'ing or whatever the fuck it was, I don't even know what you were going for

15. Frip
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 18:25:06

Ex: She's Asian, she can't drive.

16. boshi
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 18:31:25

i got a D in geometry.

17. nateiskewl
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 19:20:51

strat1227 wrote: The overall validity of your argument is severely ruined by that terrible attempt at trolling or grammer nazi'ing or whatever the fuck it was, I don't even know what you were going for
    "Nazi" should be capitalized. Have respect for your ancestors.

18. Sc00t
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 19:21:51

YOUR MOTHER IS A PRODUCTIVE MEMBER OF SOCIETY!!!! u mad? thats pretty much what ur getting offended by

19. strat1227
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 19:22:40

@nateiskewl Lol I have dark brown hair, dark eyes and dark skin, and I'm not European, I doubt they're in my ancestry. Also worth noting is that since I'm not referring to the actual Nazis, but instead using the concept in adjective form, it actually should be nazi and not Nazi. Good try though :)

20. Sc00t
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 19:25:41

strat1227 wrote: @capitalize the N in nateiskewlnateiskewl this is not how you start an MLA style paper. "Lol" is not a word either.Lolcomma I have dark brown hair, dark eyescomma and dark skin, and I'm not European, I doubt they're in my ancestry. Also worth noting is that since I'm not referring to the actual Nazis, but instead using the concept in adjective form, it actually should be nazi and not Nazi.omit period, add comma. "Good try though." is not a sentence Good try thoughperiod :)don't draw on your paper. please see me after class mr. bigglesworth
    proofraedign mode enggaged :trollface:

21. strat1227
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 20:50:37

que? PS: Oxford comma is optional :P

22. sangara
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 21:28:47

Asians just think they're smart.

23. nateiskewl
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 22:02:21

strat1227 wrote: @nateiskewl Lol I have dark brown hair, dark eyes and dark skin, and I'm not European, I doubt they're in my ancestry. Also worth noting is that since I'm not referring to the actual Nazis, but instead using the concept in adjective form, it actually should be nazi and not Nazi. Good try though :)
    YOU GOT ME BRO. YOU'RE REALLY DARK.

24. Kirby
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 22:19:59

First of all it is "they're" not "their". And, I believe Asians are smart and have good work ethic because only the top few percent (socially. intellectually. and economically) of them had the opportunity to come to America. Also since the Asians that came to America had to work hard to get here and be successful once coming here, they expect their children to have the same work ethic so they too, can become successful. Just my theory

25. nateiskewl
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 22:37:09

Kirby wrote: First of all it is "they're" not "their". And, I believe Asians are smart and have good work ethic because only the top few percent (socially. intellectually. and economically) of them had the opportunity to come to America. Also since the Asians that came to America had to work hard to get here and be successful once coming here, they expect their children to have the same work ethic so they too, can become successful. Just my theory
    First of all, "Just my theory" isn't a sentence.

26. strat1227
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 22:46:10

Nate yep that's pretty dark for a white person ... A hell of a lot darker than you are lol so you get my point

27. nateiskewl
    Date: Sun, May 22 2011 01:03:55

strat1227 wrote: Nate yep that's pretty dark for a white person ... A hell of a lot darker than you are lol so you get my point
    How do you know that? From a two-year-old photo of me?

28. strat1227
    Date: Sun, May 22 2011 01:50:29

Considering the picture you posted of me is 3 years old I considered it a valid argument

29. nateiskewl
    Date: Sun, May 22 2011 01:52:46

strat1227 wrote: Considering the picture you posted of me is 3 years old I considered it a valid argument
    That's fair enough.

30. Wind
    Date: Sun, May 22 2011 02:05:36

Not all Asians are smart. Not everybody think all Asians are smart. Asians are normal people like you and me. End of discussion (?)

31. strat1227
    Date: Sun, May 22 2011 19:03:48

nateiskewl wrote: That's fair enough.
    ... I'm just going to pretend you flamed me or something because my brain can't really comprehend that statement. FUCK YOU TOO NATE, TROLL! There we go. I don't like change.

32. wee~
    Date: Fri, Oct 14 2011 01:43:00

i'm southeast asian and i kinda get pissed at that because i'm above average, but not as smart compared to the asians that are considered geniuses.

33. wings
    Date: Fri, Oct 14 2011 08:07:42

Hey, I wanna spread my asian genes, any of u guys want some? XD jk jk Nah, I think everyone in the world is equal no matter where the fuck they came from.