UPSB v4

General Discussion / Why can't our WT's be more public?

1. Rarity
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 14:05:50

I think it will really be more interesting for penspinners and even the public who don't penspin. Something like this : [video=youtube;6UCtOZzPYg8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UCtOZzPYg8[/video] Just an idea. What do you think?

2. V-Storm
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 14:24:47

Night Fury wrote: I think it will really be more interesting for penspinners and even the public who don't penspin. Something like this : [video=youtube;6UCtOZzPYg8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UCtOZzPYg8[/video] Just an idea. What do you think?
    You mean like live battles? Well, people can't really go to a meetup like that, and there's too many people in round 1, and if you want to see a legit, well-thought out combo, you have to give the person some time to film and stuff, and there's also a ton of pressure like that..

3. J74Q
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 14:26:53

Awesome ~ I can really see that they are forced to used english though... [Edit] Yea... there would be failures in most combos so they really need time. Another thing is the angle... i dont think judges can see HAL's awesome style so far away like the one in the video. I still think Cam is better but i think making penspinning a more official and profession would be good

4. wings
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 14:29:59

Well I hope they make a TV channel for hand manipulations.:xd:

5. Zombo
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 14:30:38

live spinning is totally different from filmed spinning. and IMO filmed spinning is of higher quality than live spinning because you can refilm as much as you want. so WT is testing filmed spinning, its not about live spinning

6. tacohead12
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 15:02:42

At my church we were planning a talent show so I was gonna plan to hook up a camera to the a computer which goes onto the projector screen in the auditorium so I could spin :P We still haven't done it yet though xD That would solve the problem with angle, but I agree that combos would either be unsmooth and fail often or would have to be much more simple just to decrease the chances of failure when performing. Live spinning is a nice concept but realistically it would be very difficult to make successful.

7. Josh
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 16:56:55

tacohead12 wrote: At my church we were planning a talent show so I was gonna plan to hook up a camera to the a computer which goes onto the projector screen in the auditorium so I could spin :P We still haven't done it yet though xD That would solve the problem with angle, but I agree that combos would either be unsmooth and fail often or would have to be much more simple just to decrease the chances of failure when performing.
    I was gonna say that it would be too hard to make it out in a large room with lots of people, and the angle would be a problem, but this would solve that problem! I think it'd be a ton of fun, but I've been involved in organizing a local yoyo competition and it seemed like a HUGE amount of work. Every year, the World Yoyo Contest is held in Orlando, Florida, as a hotel conference, and it attracts hundreds from all over the world, but I can't even imagine the amount of effort and work that goes into that. PLUS, even though the contest charges 40$ for 1-day or 70-80$ for 3-day, AND has vendors they charge to sell yoyos there, the contest still runs at a loss, so the organizers actually lose money after putting in all that work.

8. RdHg
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 20:21:27

lol i notice everyone had busters.

9. Sc00t
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 20:34:30

I believe the real issue is because pen spinners are just normal people inside, not professional performers, so they wouldn't be able to spin at such a level with so many discerning eyes upon them this would lead to a compromise in combo difficulty, which would also mean that a lower difficulty standard for judging. It will still be enough to 'WOW' the non-spinning public, but these people spend hours of private time recording so that they can 'WOW' other pen spinners, which is significantly harder. Thats why i watch the WT! I look forward to combos that just make my jaw drop with their magnificence. Anyone remember @eriror at GPC tournament? link here you could see him wince in mental pain at each drop in front of all those gpc members. Great spinning, but painful to watch the drops. this kind of trial is not what the WT is about, it's about pen spinning ability alone... honestly who would want to lose the WOW factor of the wt just so that the general public can gawk at us?

10. drgripable
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 21:37:53

WELL, IF penspinning becomes big, then of course, there will be a lot more psers, but that could also be bad for current psers, mostly of the beginner/intermediate class psers because more people psing means more hidden talents unlocked, demeaning beginner/intermediate spinners, of course, this PROBABLy wouldn't effect the top spinners.

11. sangara
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 22:48:07

I think PDS held the first live tournament.

12. Cloud
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 23:55:32

maybe we could promote pen spinning via tv ads, ect though it seems to be a bit expensive find a sponsor maybe?

13. Sc00t
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 00:09:30

drgripable wrote: WELL, IF penspinning becomes big, then of course, there will be a lot more psers, but that could also be bad for current psers, mostly of the beginner/intermediate class psers because more people psing means more hidden talents unlocked, demeaning beginner/intermediate spinners, of course, this PROBABLy wouldn't effect the top spinners.
    how would it demean the average spinner? i accept that i have absolutely no talent at pen spinning, im not JEALOUS if someone zooms past me in half the time, i'd encourage them to be great.. just how conceited do you think people would be to feel 'demeaned'? if anything this is a good thing

14. drgripable
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 00:22:59

sorry, more of what i meant was, that to stay on the top, you would have to work double as hard because again, there will be people with a flair for penspinning, and just more people in general will up the ante.....in general @Stare

15. Hippo2626
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 01:43:41

One issue about PSing becoming more public is that pen spinning will have to adapt to the needs of the public or those who do not understand PSing. What I mean is that currently if you do a combo for an non PSer, it would just seem like on stick going around someones hand and they would think that a freestyle from me would look the same as a freestyle from Baaron or one of the pros out there. To a non PSer, things that would appeal to them is things like aerials, 2 hands spinning, power tricking, fast spinning and all these kinds of things. If we were to get the popularity up to the same level as yoyoing or fire staffing, and we get to a point where we the public comes to watch us do tournaments or we're featured in talent segments of shows, what would really attract the publics attention is all those flashy stuff. It's quite a scary thought because this might 'cause some major changes in the pen spinning world which I don't think we might like. One is that PS becomes one homologous blob of flashy spinning (something like the power tricking thing but 200 times worse) another is PS splits into 2 groups one for the public and one for the PSers (Like spinners either choose to focus on public spinning or the normal spinning now). These are of course just guesses and we'll never know what will happen 'til we get there but it's a little frightening to think about. Yes we are getting more publicity getting more commercial and more professional but there are thorns on that rose.

16. JackyMacky
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 01:47:55

Wait, since WT's is for everyone around the world, don't they speak different languages? What if they don't know any English or some other language? Whose going to translate for them? O_O

17. MickChickenn
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 04:23:48

great idea in theory, bad idea in execution.

18. GigaByte
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 05:26:05

is hard to make WT public cuz every people need to go overseas .. and the cost is not cheap

19. snow
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 05:28:28

PSH is planning a live ps contest in july or august, ps on stage is hard but we believe their could be some one who can open a door to this stuff¡* with music and designed trick, ps on stage is totally different from what it is now¡*maybe we should not be limited by current situation.

20. Nachoaddict
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 05:57:07

I think that even though there is a significant difference between live and recorded spinning, if the PS community continues to flourish, at one point of another live spinning will become an integral factor in pen spinning. I like to make the comparison of pen spinning to singing. A considerable amount of modern day artists record songs (similar to PSers recording combos) and they can re-record as many times as they want until they get a desired result. Not only this but they can use programs to alter the recording to their liking. Now when you go see this artist live in concert, depending on how much they manipulated technology to make themselves sound better, many times you see a significant drop in quality from the recording to live. Only the truly talented singers can perform well both in private, and public. I think this is an inevitable road that PS is leading to. As it gains more popularity, the skill level will rise and as the average skill level rises, people are going to reach a point where they need a new obstacle to challenge themselves. I believe that live spinning will be this new hurdle for future PSers to conquer.

21. AKS
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 06:46:54

I think to make WT become popular, it should be showed on popular media such as television. But I think if PS-ing become more public, maybe in some time or later PS-ing will be unattractive in the eyes of people because they always see it on media. So, I think PS-ing should be like "juggle", not too popular (not sure), but looks amazing when showed (in my opinion).

22. Sc00t
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 07:45:28

Hippo2626 wrote: What I mean is that currently if you do a combo for an non PSer, it would just seem like on stick going around someones hand and they would think that a freestyle from me would look the same as a freestyle from Baaron or one of the pros out there
    A thousand times this. i showed my mom a wt11 vid, and then one of my vids, and she didn't seem to notice the difference other than 'he moves his hand more'..?

23. Krypton
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 08:17:37

PSing feels like a special group of us spinners with the talent and determination to practise the art of penspinning. It doesn't feel special anymore if too many people can do it, and PS being mocked and scorned by the public. We spin for our own entertainment, not for others. And why should we share it with people who don't appreciate it? After all, penspinning is a form of object manipulation that involves the deft manipulation of a writing instrument with one's hands in an aesthetically pleasing manner. Aesthetically pleasing to the spinner, not others.

24. Gr3gY
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 14:14:53

PS-ing isnt as widely known in certain countries (cue, singapore) to make the WT like so damn public. but lets say if it happens, you gotta have the organising committee decide on where (which country) to hold the tournament. cos its the WORLD tournament, rmb? then theres broadcasting of live feed or recorded battles etc to the other countries. you got spinners flying over to the host country. etc etc. its too big scale an event for anyone to bother organising, or even have the funds to. PS-ing isnt that well-known and appreciated to have such a big event happening. some people would be just like, "Meh, that guy can spin a pen." or worst still "Thats lame." the problem is that its just not popular enough around the WORLD. again i am emphasising on the word WORLD because of the global nature of the tournament that makes it hard to organise. so i think the PS world isnt ready for such a big scale (WORLD) tournament. not just yet. maybe in the future, yes, but now? not just yet.

25. Rarity
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 14:59:49

J74Q wrote: Awesome ~ I can really see that they are forced to used english though... [Edit] Yea... there would be failures in most combos so they really need time. Another thing is the angle... i dont think judges can see HAL's awesome style so far away like the one in the video. I still think Cam is better but i think making penspinning a more official and profession would be good
    I was thinking that there's a table, that has a camera placed at the spinner's desired angle, and it could be shown in a widescreen. The judges won't have a problem then. They could just look at the screen. I really think that live spinning tournaments is a good idea. It would make penspinning more popular. People who don't penspin won't say that "meh, thats lame" or "Get a life, kiddo.". Spinners would actually have something to aim for. And when you're in that tourney, you're not just proud of it to the UPSB forum. You can be proud of it to your family, and also the public. Also, I'm not necessarily talking about JUST the WT. I'm also talking about tournaments held in other penspinning communities. The tourneys of FPSB, JEB, GPC, PDS, PPSC, etc.

26. JC
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 18:52:54

Night Fury;94112]I was thinking that there's a table, that has a camera placed at the spinner's desired angle, and it could be shown in a widescreen. The judges won't have a problem then. They could just look at the screen.[/quote] I agree. [QUOTE=Night Fury wrote: I really think that live spinning tournaments is a good idea. It would make penspinning more popular. People who don't penspin won't say that "meh, thats lame" or "Get a life, kiddo.".
    I disagree. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- From a general public point of view, many things tend to lame as they get popular. Some people actually find pen spinning cool cause it's such an unknown underground kinda thing. As indie songs get popular, or as some animes like bleach gets popularized...many more people think that it's become "lame". I don't necessarily thing pen spinning should get so much media attention. A live tournament would be nice, but one that's perhaps organized among ourselves without the publicity of a mall sponsor or something. But then we must consider the possibility of a live world tournament--most spinners are under 20 and do not have the money to travel so far for a tournament (and a tournament that wouldn't have much of a substantial prize either especially if it's not organized by an outside group). It's just a matter of perspective here I guess; I don't really want pen spinning to get so much media attention whereas others do want pen spnning to take that direction. But I really don't think it'll earn pen spinners any more respect, if anything, I think we'll lose respect.

27. Josh
    Date: Sat, May 14 2011 02:41:48

There's another big component to the idea of a public gathering, and that's the social aspect. A lot of people traveling from different countries for a contest will spend a lot of time showing off, showing/sharing/teaching tricks, and just having fun. The tournament itself isn't even really the MOST important thing, though it's certainly the main attraction.

28. JC
    Date: Sat, May 14 2011 03:25:14

Sounds like a worldwide gathering... but I have just two words to explain how this is not feasible. No money.

29. henryORANGE
    Date: Sat, May 14 2011 03:29:09

i think we need to find sponsor to hold big gathering/competition .........

30. AKS
    Date: Sat, May 14 2011 05:24:18

JC wrote: From a general public point of view, many things tend to lame as they get popular. Some people actually find pen spinning cool cause it's such an unknown underground kinda thing. As indie songs get popular, or as some animes like bleach gets popularized...many more people think that it's become "lame".
    I agree with this. "PS-ing is such an unknown underground kinda thing", and I think it makes PS look cool (imo). So, I think let pen spinning is just like that to make PS cool for anytime. But it is about WT, right? I think now WT is just known only by spinner, but should WT be showed for public?

31. Sam
    Date: Sun, May 15 2011 18:03:57

A. No money B. Penspinning is an art, a hobby, a pastime. I dont think that it should get as big as oh. lets fly to hong kong or someplace for a tournament! THe kids will be up for it, but the parents would most likely dissaprove. Penspinning is just a different sport/hobby, and people are trying to make it like other hobbies, like rubiks cubing (b/c it has live competitions). C. I dont think there will be like donors or donations towards penspining tournaments. Penspinners aren't super rich people like basketball stars, etc. And mostly all penspinners are still going to school,etc.

32. Nashi
    Date: Mon, May 16 2011 14:27:52

I am not quite sure, if it would be so good, if the WT would be more public. That would mean Ps would get more well-known and more ppl would begin with it. I would not appreciate that, I like it, how it is now.