UPSB v4

Off-topic / Learning to drive

1. TheAafg
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 02:52:24

Hey there!!! so I have started to learn how to drive, but I literally freak out like a little baby when I see another car moving even if it is 4-5 km away :( I am currently only practising how to make turns and keep the car in a straight line :D any tips? from those of you who can drive and how did you learn to drive? :huh: yes i am talking about a car....

2. strat1227
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 02:53:55

Haha that's pretty normal, just gotta practice I practiced in a big parking lot until I could handle the car pretty well, then drove around near my house for a while All with my dad or someone in the passenger seat obviously

3. TheAafg
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 02:56:40

strat1227 wrote: Haha that's pretty normal, just gotta practice I practiced in a big parking lot until I could handle the car pretty well, then drove around near my house for a while All with my dad or someone in the passenger seat obviously
    i am practising in a parking lot too :D with my dad though. He doesn't let me drive a lot cause gas is expensive :(

4. Raos
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 03:00:10

i thought your in grade 9 and your learning to drive? BS!

5. TheAafg
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 03:05:13

DrakeOhMeteor007 wrote: i thought your in grade 9 and your learning to drive? BS!
    I am in grade 9. I don't see what the problem seems to be?

6. Raos
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 03:10:13

TheAafg wrote: I am in grade 9. I don't see what the problem seems to be?
    your not supposed to learn how to drive? lolz

7. strat1227
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 03:12:40

i dunno end of 9th grade is what, 15? that's normal driving age even beginning is 14, and it makes sense to learn before you get your permit so you don't go crash and die once you get it lol

8. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 03:23:05

crash is not always followed by die btw, but drivers ed tends to clump it together. I still freak out a little on the inside when driving on a two way road at anything over 40 mph without a barrier in between me and the oncoming car. I learned to drive by driving, dont over thnk it. Practice your right hand turns, and in a parking lot.

9. strat1227
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 03:29:12

lol yeah no shit i've crashed twice obviously i'm alive i was just saying if you have no idea how to drive and you get hit head-on then you might die lol

10. sangara
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 03:46:37

Parking lots seem to be the best learning place. Oh don't forget to feather the break when coming to a stop, and accelerate out of the apex of a turn.

11. chris
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 04:00:04

I'm 16 and I don't even know how to drive. nor have I been given opportunity to take driving lessons. props to you. anyway, I guess, in all my noobness, just be calm I guess?

12. hoiboy
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 04:23:53

lol easier said than done Everyone else is right, just practice in a parking lot until you're comfortable making turns. I think I spent something like 2 hours in a parking lot just practicing my turns.

13. Sankaku
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 05:07:04

Unfortunate but true advice: The instant you start driving, you will be in an accident. Sooner or later. I was practicing for my license and got side swiped by an SUV. Just drive defensive and safe, and you'll get into less accidents. I started out in a parking lot too, automatic car, stuck it in idle and practiced turns with hand over hand for a week, like, 20 minutes each night. Started learning the gas pedal on the 2nd night. When you're on the road, don't freak out if cars are coming at you. It's not like everyone is drunk and can't see. I remembered that I would always freak out when a car would pull up behind me, cuz of the pressure to get moving and stuff. After a while, I stopped caring. When you're driving on the road more, assume everyone is an idiot, and if you feel uncomfortable doing something, don't do it lol. I got comfortable driving after 6 months of practice, and now, I'm not white knuckling the wheel anymore haha.

14. tylt
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 06:26:14

All Im saying is be glad that you're not learning to driven in California, the drivers here are absolutely fucking crazy. But for driving advice pretty much just assume everyone else sucks at driving and you are the best. Don't be afraid to let people know where you want to go when your driving, because most people will move for you. Always use blinkers and take it slow when your first start, pople can go around if they reall need to. Also don't be afraid of getting n a crash, because it will happen eventually, I t-boned some girl a month into my liscence, so it happens.

15. Sankaku
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 06:41:20

tylt wrote: I boned some girl a month into my liscence, so it happens.
    hawt.

16. tacohead12
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 07:12:29

LOL^ XDDDD I cant stop laughing anyway on topic: Sankaku pretty much said it all But it's normal to freak out at the beginning. At least in Canada there isn't like a billion cars like here in LA ._. Just don't let your mind wander into random thoughts

17. UEDan
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 08:53:40

tylt wrote: All Im saying is be glad that you're not learning to driven in California, the drivers here are absolutely fucking crazy. But for driving advice pretty much just assume everyone else sucks at driving and you are the best. Don't be afraid to let people know where you want to go when your driving, because most people will move for you. Always use blinkers and take it slow when your first start, pople can go around if they reall need to. Also don't be afraid of getting n a crash, because it will happen eventually, I t-boned some girl a month into my liscence, so it happens.
    Ehhh California isn't THAT bad. Just a lot of shitty drivers who can't take a corner at 30+ mph, don't get that the left most lane is the fast lane, and WAY too many stupid self-righteous Prius douche bags. Irritating, what it is. And WHAT THE FUCK are you chinks talking about? "You'll crash eventually" Fucking serious? Apparently you guys never learned to drive. But tickets.... better learn how to not pay for them.

18. sangara
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 12:55:15

Seriously, I've been driving for almost 3 years, for the past year I've been driving the freeways 60 miles a day and I've never gotten a ticket or been in an accident. It's not inevitable.

19. Sankaku
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 21:38:39

3 years isnt a lot. Lots of people have told me youre going to get into an accident one day or another. Even if you drive safe, some idiot will rear end you or something that's not your fault.

20. Frip
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 22:12:30

lol just dont fall into habits and you'll be fine

21. sangara
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 22:37:31

Sankaku wrote: 3 years isnt a lot. Lots of people have told me youre going to get into an accident one day or another. Even if you drive safe, some idiot will rear end you or something that's not your fault.
    There's not a 100% chance of being in a car crash. My dad has been driving for 49 years, still no crash, not even a flat tire.

22. Sankaku
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 22:41:25

holy shit, thats lucky o_O

23. Loanshark
    Date: Thu, May 12 2011 23:23:37

Sankaku wrote: Unfortunate but true advice: The instant you start driving, you will be in an accident.
    Not true.

24. MinEste
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 14:16:24

always use the front half of your foot for the gas pedal, and your whole foot on the brake pedal, but never stomp on the brake unless you need to

25. TheAafg
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 20:51:35

I told my dad how I read on the internet that you are eventually going to crash when you start driving. All he said was : O_____o son, you are not THAT asian. :facepalm:

26. UEDan
    Date: Sat, May 14 2011 04:58:18

MinEste wrote: always use the front half of your foot for the gas pedal, and your whole foot on the brake pedal, but never stomp on the brake unless you need to
    Nah,... not always. I usually use my whole right foot for the gas and the top 1/4 of my left foot on the brakes =P hehhehe oh, and don't drive under the influence kids! :thumbs:

27. Sankaku
    Date: Sat, May 14 2011 05:08:39

i use my left foot for gas, and right foot for clutch and i dont brake :dunce:

28. Loanshark
    Date: Sun, May 15 2011 03:04:28

Sankaku;94317] i dont brake :dunce:[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Sankaku wrote: The instant you start driving, you will be in an accident.
    I lol'd.