UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / LED ideas

1. Fletch
    Date: Tue, May 10 2011 05:10:45

Hi, I built some new LED ideas, the old combosense one I was excited about, but it didnt work for a lot of reasons, bad connector, too big, too expensive and the battery pack was too heavy. I changed the circuit to a charge pump so it can run off one cell (or two if you want more weight and longer duration) and split the board into two separate boards so you can put the LED and all weight at the tips of the caps to help fit more mods. i call the new idea combo-pods for now since its two separate ones. size comparison to the old-school idea (middle) This version is about as big as a finger tip and has a row of 7 LEDs under discrete control so you can make patterns or maybe write words. It weighs about 1 gram with battery pack It can fit inside a small pen tip to hide most of the circuitry leaving only the LEDs I haven't made a character set for it yet but I tried making a on/off square pattern and a "noise" test code (live data from accelerometer) yeah I know it looks like random blurry shit but maybe use your imagination and it can be words, patterns, kanji, whatever. Maybe it detects the move youre doing and displays it "devils sonic" The other version I made is a single Tri-Color LED , you can light up multiple of the primary colors to get secondary or tertiary colors but this uses up more power, its designed to fit in this style cap use a white cap so only the LED is shown. you could put the airfit and tip over it for busterCYL and I think it would make the airfit glow. the idea is when you start it up you get a menu, then you select what color you want by spinning when your prompt comes up. maybe if this menu system is effective you can activate challenge modes or games it weighs less than 1 gram with battery

2. iColor
    Date: Tue, May 10 2011 05:24:58

Wow, such a dramatic size cut. Haha, my old design insert barely fitted inside the supertip but now it'll be able to fit anywhere! Looks quite nice, sleek, hide-able. I'm not quite sure how you would display characters though, or detect tricks from each other. I'd just use the normal patterns and such. I'd like to try display morse code though! (This'll require me learning morse code first, though..) But, looking good so far!

3. SuiXidaL
    Date: Tue, May 10 2011 05:34:44

WELCOME BACK ! <3 Loving the designs, keep them up; :thumb: You might even be able to mass produce these and sell them a hefty price ;)

4. Nachoaddict
    Date: Tue, May 10 2011 05:40:35

I remember your posts from a while back :O LED's are always sexy :thumb: Just curious how much work and money went into these?

5. shoeman6
    Date: Tue, May 10 2011 13:44:05

Always love your stuff, any ideas on price/availability yet? Also, is it a single row, or does the led shine 360* so that the light isn't blocked by the circuit board.

6. Fletch
    Date: Tue, May 10 2011 14:01:02

its got LEDs on both sides of the board so I think it should be visible 360 degrees. @Nachoaddict it took a lot of both, not sure of the exact number. thank you for the nice comments Krispy and iColor :)

7. iColor
    Date: Tue, May 10 2011 16:00:21

Will I be getting these to test along with Raine?

8. Fletch
    Date: Tue, May 10 2011 19:34:11

hi icolor, yes I'll give one free to anybody that was brave enough to try the last version that was in hindsight pretty rough. also sorry I missed your question shoeman I''m shooting for a price of $15-20 for each one and I don't think this version will be available, it will be next revision with machine-assembly (nicer soldering than this) so probably 6 months to open beta test.

9. n3wby
    Date: Wed, May 11 2011 00:56:49

Cool! i've always wanted a glowing RSVP MX (probably Colors MX):pan: :rofl:

10. King
    Date: Wed, May 11 2011 05:38:34

O: I want^1257982734.

11. lolful
    Date: Mon, May 16 2011 12:40:49

O... I want.. I guess you're in College now... Since u learned how to minimiz the size of the circuit board... Cool man... !!!!!

12. Fletch
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 20:31:05

iColor wrote: Looks quite nice, sleek, hide-able. I'm not quite sure how you would display characters though, or detect tricks from each other...
    Hi iColor, Today I built the architecture for the character printing - to create your pattern, you'd use a program like excel to fill in boxes by each row. Then each letter or phrase would be a macro you'd program into turn the LEDs on. Right now I'm creating macros manually but in the final version this will be an easy to use program, but Ill need to add a micro-USB connector so spinners can upload their own graphics. It works, now I need to make two of them, throw it into a pen and test it out spinning. EDIT: i put it in a supertips body with airfit grips, it fits ok but is a bit too light, I need to add some weight at the tips. I tried spinning it and it worked!! But if you spin CCW (like thumbaround) the text is showing up backwards... going to have to figure out how to fix that

13. Soren
    Date: Tue, May 24 2011 20:16:18

wow nice one, got a video?

14. Fletch
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 21:26:11

Supergirl wrote: wow nice one, got a video?
    Hi, I put them in a new body and tried to make a quick video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Deead_NJ0 Its a airlow from penspinstore: