UPSB v4

Member Introductions / [Help]New to PS, need my questions answered!

1. Misaki
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 16:50:26

Well, i'll get straight to the point. I just started taking up PS this morning, lol. I've already got the Thumbaround and the Charge down long ago. I didn't even know it was a PS trick. Problem is, i think i'm doing it wrong. 1. For the thumbaround, i use 4 fingers instead of 3, as i use my ring finger as well to push it along with the middle finger. I was taught this way. When i saw videos of it, i saw they used only 3 fingers. I can do it 3 fingers, but i just find that its harder to actually hold the pen. What i'm asking is, is it okay for it to be 4 fingers? I don't mind if 3 is better. 2. For the charge, i use my index and middle fingers, instead of using middle and ring. Same as the thumbaround, i'm still willing to learn it a new way instead. 3. What pen mod should i use? I just made a BicTory today, but i found it was too small, i think i did it wrongly too. I found it too smooth, and too lightweight. I couldn't do a thumbaround trick most of the time. My hands are very small, like 15-16 cm. I prefer 'heavy' ones, with a nice feel, not too rough and not too smooth. Please also state the materials needed for the mod. 4. I can't really do a sonic, i find that when i try do it, the pen just go in a 180 and lands on between my index and thumb, which is where it's supposed to land, but on the wrong side. I've only done it properly 3 times, all flukes. I know its supposed to land on the same side, not do a 180. What can i do to stop it? I'm now working on the fingerpass, getting the hang of it. Thanks, and please answer all questions!

2. Raos
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 16:58:19

Misaki wrote: Well, i'll get straight to the point. I just started taking up PS this morning, lol. I've already got the Thumbaround and the Charge down long ago. I didn't even know it was a PS trick. Problem is, i think i'm doing it wrong. 1. For the thumbaround, i use 4 fingers instead of 3, as i use my ring finger as well to push it along with the middle finger. I was taught this way. When i saw videos of it, i saw they used only 3 fingers. I can do it 3 fingers, but i just find that its harder to actually hold the pen. What i'm asking is, is it okay for it to be 4 fingers? I don't mind if 3 is better. 2. For the charge, i use my index and middle fingers, instead of using middle and ring. Same as the thumbaround, i'm still willing to learn it a new way instead. 3. What pen mod should i use? I just made a BicTory today, but i found it was too small, i think i did it wrongly too. I found it too smooth, and too lightweight. I couldn't do a thumbaround trick most of the time. My hands are very small, like 15-16 cm. I prefer 'heavy' ones, with a nice feel, not too rough and not too smooth. Please also state the materials needed for the mod. 4. I can't really do a sonic, i find that when i try do it, the pen just go in a 180 and lands on between my index and thumb, which is where it's supposed to land, but on the wrong side. I've only done it properly 3 times, all flukes. I know its supposed to land on the same side, not do a 180. What can i do to stop it? I'm now working on the fingerpass, getting the hang of it. Thanks, and please answer all questions!
    1 and 2. your not doing it wrong your just doing ti in a different slot. 3. you have to add tips(pentel hgg/uniball signo) to the sides of the bictory and as well grips (dong-a anyball, pilot g2) it generates more momentum 4. practise holding the pen between your index and ring and do the motion of the ending part of sonic and practise the trick as a whole too. thats all i can give for now

3. Misaki
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 17:21:38

Thanks! Oh, and are there any good finger exercises i can do to improve finger independence, dexterity and flexibility?

4. WretchedRapture
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 19:20:30

All of your questions can be adressed in the fundamental section, and maybe you can take a look in the mod section or on the wiki to find a mod that suits you best. I'm also new, but just based on majority opinion i'd say don't start with something too heavy or else you'll be dependent on the weight in the long run. I personally spin different mods all the time, so I don't become reliant on just one pen. Most of the time I spin a BICtory, a Metal Comssa, or an RSVP MX. An MX sound's like it might be good for you. Its heavier than a BICtory and it also has a thicker barrel. As far as finger exercises go, take a look in the hand care section. Good luck :]

5. Quake
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 20:20:22

Misaki wrote: Thanks! Oh, and are there any good finger exercises i can do to improve finger independence, dexterity and flexibility?
    Stretch you hands. do hand exercises. bend those fingers back. lol thats just what i do. what i did to improve finger flexibility is i make one finger goo down while keeping all my other fingers straight.

6. Tsubaki
    Date: Sat, Jun 9 2012 02:22:45

DJSpin wrote: Stretch you hands. do hand exercises. bend those fingers back. lol thats just what i do. what i did to improve finger flexibility is i make one finger goo down while keeping all my other fingers straight.
    Hand exercises? Can you give more details? Btw can you bend your pinky independently?

7. deadpool
    Date: Sat, Jun 9 2012 14:12:54

hi and welcome. of the pens, as you can see tutorials, about the tricks, it starts with fundamentals and also look at the tutorials and exercises for those looking for greg irwin who are very good http://www.youtube.com/watch ? v = BRF4EICO2G0 hope to serve you, see you bye