UPSB v4

Off-topic / Descriptive writing

1. Soren
    Date: Fri, May 6 2011 15:24:02

So i recently found one of my homework task for english, which was written about two and a half years ago (im 16 now, so i was probably 13 or 14), and i thought it was pretty good, so i thought that i would share it with you guys. Despite the fact that it only got a C grade (i didnt include stuff like complex sentences, similies, metaphors etc...) it's still pretty decent. An Autumn Day Infinite in decaying trees is the gift of autumn. Looming trees cloaked above Earth. Suddenly shatters of psychaedelic leaves trickled down. Casting a net, not knowing what you step on. The golden sunrise gleamed across the trees, a blaze of orange mist to begin the day with. As the day grew, flowers bloomed open with unimaginable colour and animals escaped sleep and scattered around to enjoy the glorious day. A tranquil day; however, if you concentrate your hearing, you would hear the bickering insects, the scurrying squirrels and the snarling foxes. The aromatic smell of fress grass and flowers danced in my nose. Zephyrs gliding along grasses, making them swinging here and there. Flowing air circulated the surrounding keeping nature at it's zenith. The place is like heaven, peace at it's peak. This autumn day keeps me at bay, my wondering soul stays still in order to capture this day, and leave a photograph in my head. But all must end. Sunset already. I lay there. Still. I didn't want the day to end. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So that was it, what do you think of it, how could i improve? Feel free to comment on what you think. In addition, if you have written a descriptive writing before and want to share it, feel free to post it in this thread, im sure others will comment on it too.

2. authenticatethepunk
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 05:00:14

While I do appreciate your extensive vocabulary - I'm afraid that's as far as the praise can go. Though if you really wanted criticism on your work - rather than mindless ego boosting - you'd post some stuff you've written recently, not stuff you were proud of years ago.

3. Soren
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 07:40:16

authenticatethepunk wrote: While I do appreciate your extensive vocabulary - I'm afraid that's as far as the praise can go. Though if you really wanted criticism on your work - rather than mindless ego boosting - you'd post some stuff you've written recently, not stuff you were proud of years ago.
    i dont really write stuff, this was like one of the few piece that i have written that i am proud of, so i thought that i would share it with you guys =)

4. nateiskewl
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 08:04:13

Well, at least you have the balls to show your work. I've gotten a lot of praise from teachers for my writing, but they're the only people I let read it. :/

5. Argon_City
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 08:24:56

@nateiskewl please let us read your work. I want to see how you write. <3

6. Soren
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 08:28:21

nateiskewl wrote: Well, at least you have the balls to show your work. I've gotten a lot of praise from teachers for my writing, but they're the only people I let read it. :/
    wow you must be pretty good, you want to share?

7. nateiskewl
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 08:30:39

Supergirl wrote: wow you must be pretty good, you want to share?
    If I thought I was that good, I would share.

8. Soren
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 08:31:53

nateiskewl wrote: If I thought I was that good, I would share.
    cool, i would love to read it

9. authenticatethepunk
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 08:41:41

Supergirl wrote: i dont really write stuff, this was like one of the few piece that i have written that i am proud of, so i thought that i would share it with you guys =)
    Fair enough then :). Though by any standard if you were say 13 - 14 when you were writing that, then your praise for your work is warranted.

10. Soren
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 08:43:14

authenticatethepunk wrote: Fair enough then :). Though by any standard if you were say 13 - 14 when you were writing that, then your praise for your work is warranted.
    yeah i was about 13-14 years old when i wrote this

11. authenticatethepunk
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 09:10:12

I'd actually like to see some of what you've written recently though. But no pressure. I'm not much of a writer myself, though I would like to be one. I can't do any creative stuff though, so I have a lot of respect for people who can pull it off. I have more of the journalist thing going, I think. Most of what I write goes up here if you're interested - it's probably not great. http://dontfakethepunk.blogspot.com/

12. Soren
    Date: Sat, May 7 2011 09:41:15

authenticatethepunk wrote: I'd actually like to see some of what you've written recently though. But no pressure. I'm not much of a writer myself, though I would like to be one. I can't do any creative stuff though, so I have a lot of respect for people who can pull it off. I have more of the journalist thing going, I think. Most of what I write goes up here if you're interested - it's probably not great. http://dontfakethepunk.blogspot.com/
    i havent really written anything recently, writing is not one of my strengths =/, i usually pull of a good piece of writing once every few months lol

13. Tialys
    Date: Mon, May 9 2011 16:12:24

The key to creative writing (imo) is a vivid imagination. Fiction novels like Harry Potter are popular because they portray a world in such realistic detail that it moves readers to participate vicariously in the story. Writing can be frustrating because it isn't uncommon to suffer from writer's block. With regular practice you can enter the creative mindset more easily; it just takes discipline. It's important not to be too critical of your work because this can limit your ability to generate ideas. If I put my writing aside for some time and revisit it later, it usually doesn't seem as bad as I initially thought it was. It also helps to read books by your favourite authors and take note of how they write. I find it difficult to keep a journal and write about feelings or experiences; also, opinions and reviews. I find technical writing pretty difficult too, as you are limited in your vocabulary and are forced to adhere to a specific format. Also, technical writing is verbose and annoying to read/understand.