UPSB v4

General Discussion / Learning tricks -- Individually or by Combos?

1. daniel0731ex
    Date: Fri, May 6 2011 04:03:39

I'm pretty sure that this hasn't been discussed before, so don't flame me for not looking it up. I was wondering if, for a beginner, after mastering all the fundamentals, should one learn the so-called "advanced" tricks by choosing randomly, or would it be better to learn by copying other people's combos? My interpretation is that after learning numerous combos, you'll get a better feel of the flow of a typical combo, and perhaps creative components derived from the unique styles of others? Or would it have a negative effect of hindering one from developing one's own style?

2. Advecticity
    Date: Fri, May 6 2011 04:12:49

This is an interesting question - when to use combos to learn, and whether to imitate them. In the case you are presenting, it might be hard pressed to find combos that require only fundamentals, except maybe for Eriror's and K4L, I can't really think of many. If you try to do a combo without knowing the trick, it just ends up counterproductive and frustrating. Ideally learn simple tricks, learn harder tricks, stuff the harder trick in-between two simple tricks as a mini-combo (ex: Twisted Sonic > Fake Double > TA) and as you develop such linkages, combos should come naturally and form your style.

3. Bleevlee
    Date: Fri, May 6 2011 04:53:06

I just have to point out that that's a Twisted sonic>Fake Triple. I think that one should start by learning tricks that are used most commonly in less advanced mini-combos and stuff. Like the twisted sonic, warped sonic, double charge, etcetera. Sorry if I wasn't helpful and I suck at adding to discussions and stuff. :(

4. Twine
    Date: Fri, May 6 2011 05:08:15

My opinion: Learn as many tricks as you can. All of them. Once you know them all you can start combos. Just remember though, a smooth simple combo is more impressive then a sloppy difficult combo ;)

5. Rabbid
    Date: Fri, May 6 2011 05:13:02

Agree what @Twine said:)

6. RicLu98
    Date: Fri, May 6 2011 05:41:01

sometimes you have to combine tricks together like hybrids and you have to slightly alter the trick to use it into a combo.

7. J74Q
    Date: Fri, May 6 2011 08:33:10

I had a same problem and @Twine just answered it fully for me :D

8. Breezy
    Date: Fri, May 6 2011 17:22:27

Focusing on one trick is much better

9. MUSIIX
    Date: Tue, May 10 2011 06:09:36

Well, what I did, was I learned a bunch of tricks. Maybe like 10? Then after that, I incorporated them into a combo. Which makes it easier since you already know the tricks you'll place. :)

10. Breezy
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 19:41:43

MUSIIX wrote: Well, what I did, was I learned a bunch of tricks. Maybe like 10? Then after that, I incorporated them into a combo. Which makes it easier since you already know the tricks you'll place. :)
    That's what I did =D

11. Sc00t
    Date: Fri, May 13 2011 20:09:42

learn individual trick first

12. Knightpal
    Date: Thu, May 19 2011 16:56:50

I haven't learned any tricks individually in a while, but imo it's a better way to learn a trick instead of combo-ing into it. That way you can incorporate it into combos. Although... I learned fake double by doing a twisted sonic first into it ._.

13. Awesome
    Date: Thu, May 19 2011 18:23:12

when you are learning a trick, learn it individually. once you can perform it comfortably then start putting it into combos. if you try to learn it as part of a combo without having the movements for the trick down you'll just keep on dropping in the combo and its way more frustrating like that. If you want to copy a combo but don't know the tricks, learn the tricks first then come back to the combo once you have them down. Its easier this way and you'll avoid engaging unnecessary muscles as you perform tricks. your style will suffer if you are moving fingers that are not part of the trick, taking your time learning will avoid this.

14. daniel0731ex
    Date: Thu, May 19 2011 19:06:00

Umm, I think people here have really misunderstood my question. I'm not asking if straight learning a combo is a good idea or not; obviously it's not a good one. What I meant is the [B]learning order[/B] of individual advanced tricks: that instead of randomly picking tricks to practice, why not just learn the broken down tricks in someone elses' combo, one-by-one, and eventually mastering the whole combo after getting them down?

15. Fl0wingfire
    Date: Sat, May 28 2011 03:47:30

Well I would say randomly picking tricks to learn and making combos out of them would obviously help with developing your own style. However, breaking someone's combo down and learning it's individual tricks and then combining them again would help with learning linkages

16. kydd
    Date: Sun, May 29 2011 04:00:09

i'm not sure if i should be posting here as i haven't gotten to any serious combos, but this is what i do... i start with a simple trick, i keep linking more tricks to it that i can easily do. when i get to monotony i then add in a more advanced trick or two. say, i start with sonics going up and down my fingers. i then do a demon sonic, maybe from twisted sonic to a thumbspin rise (i like thumbspin a lot more than thumbaround) i'll catch it and maybe sonic rev then twisted sonic bust. it's like taking one sentence, and adding words to it until i get a paragraph, and maybe later a story (remember that in first grade?). not sure if you guys have any idea about what i'm rambling about...

17. Krypton
    Date: Sun, May 29 2011 04:47:59

@kydd Most spinners learn linkages (two or more tricks joined together) and then link linkages together and form a combo. Like what you said, but this is joining short phrases to make a paragraph.

18. MonsterPandasEatTofu
    Date: Mon, May 30 2011 03:38:32

Individually then get gradually better at them by putting them into combos

19. Koza
    Date: Tue, May 31 2011 04:37:14

Is it better to sit and grind out the same trick over and over, or is it better to do mini combos? Is there something different between knowing each trick individually and knowing a buncha of tricks in a mini combo? I guess, for example, Would it be better to sit and practice a Ringaround over and over. Or would it be better to do "tw sonic 23-12 > pass rev 12-23 > pass rev 23-34 > RA." Just an example, but it applies to all tricks, really. Idk, I'm trying to figure out if there's something to be said for spending a day on one trick vs. spending a day doing freestyles. Is practicing each trick individually more beneficial in the long run, or is just freestyling, throwing tricks in when you can a better alternative? I'm picking minds, cause I wanna know. Help me out. ~Koza

20. Riley
    Date: Tue, May 31 2011 04:50:56

I guess I would try a day doing one option, and another day doing the second, and see which one fits better for you/which one you make more progress on.

21. Mufoofee
    Date: Tue, May 31 2011 05:02:52

Tricks individually. I think that is the best way to find out and experiment on your own.