UPSB v4

General Discussion / Styling up your penspinning.

1. J74Q
    Date: Fri, Apr 29 2011 14:47:28

Style is something that makes someone's spinning unique, but how to improve or create a style?

2. crinix
    Date: Fri, Apr 29 2011 15:32:02

Just keep spinning, it comes up itself i think.

3. spinford
    Date: Fri, Apr 29 2011 15:46:12

Your freestyle is your style of penspinning. It makes you who you are.

4. mapjay
    Date: Fri, Apr 29 2011 16:46:54

spin mx.mx gives you style LOL

5. Tinybizzle
    Date: Fri, Apr 29 2011 16:58:36

speed changes are stylish imo, think about a fast ass ts 3.0 > slow and smooth cont. half taps > hyperactive ext fl ta > slow bust .. that would be SICK!

6. fang
    Date: Fri, Apr 29 2011 19:59:16

"don't care about others, spin the way you like" -cookieslover- style is something that will come within time, but you can create it. Make own hybrids and use tricks you think thats awsome. styling master: [video=youtube;GaQ3YA5uJsQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaQ3YA5uJsQ&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

7. Hippo2626
    Date: Sat, Apr 30 2011 01:24:49

There are many ways to improve your style http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=2603&p=35624&viewfull=1 read that thread to get a better understanding of what style is. To start with you can achieving a distinct speed and smoothness to your spinning. Doing things like using a standard angle, background, lighting and mod(s) unique to you would help. You could also try studying what your other fingers do when you are doing a trick and choose what they do. For example when you do a warped sonic 12-23, you can choose whether your pinky is sticking out or in. This might require some finger independence though. Things like having a common trick family that you are good at and signature moves help style too.

8. Twine
    Date: Sat, Apr 30 2011 02:14:23

It will come with time and curiosity. Basically 'style' is 50% finger control, 25% pace and 25% trick choice.

9. Riley
    Date: Sat, Apr 30 2011 02:19:51

Generally, your style will just come to you over time... But if you want to try to make your own unique style, try to do the following: 1.) Study other spinners, and see what they do. Pick your favorites out of each of them, and use them. 2.) Certain finger positions when doing certain tricks. 3.) Speed. 4.) Same mod, angle, peace sign. 5.) Types of tricks, such as baks, or powertricks. Good luck!

10. J74Q
    Date: Sat, Apr 30 2011 02:28:45

Wow! Thanks guys! definitely try some of those :D

11. Mage In Black
    Date: Sun, May 1 2011 00:07:38

It will come with time and curiosity. Basically 'style' is 25% finger control, 25 % hand control, 25% pace and 25% trick choice.
    Fixed it for you @Twine.

12. Twine
    Date: Sun, May 1 2011 01:16:14

Mage In Black wrote: Fixed it for you @Twine.
    Ahh yup :). Thanks

13. miyat
    Date: Sun, May 1 2011 01:24:33

Twine wrote: It will come with time and curiosity. Basically 'style' is 50% finger control, 25% pace and 25% trick choice.
    I super agree with this. I guess style is just the way one spins, as quoted. But if you mean you want to get more style, maybe lay a foundation out, what ever that means? Figure out what tricks / links you like, what spinners styles you like, basically find out what you want your spinning to look like or what styles you like and aim toward that. There isn't really a generic best style or most appealing style. Each person likes a different style, so find out what you like, then try to accomplish that by using twines outline + MIB. And of course you can do things that maybe you haven't seen before, which would make the style unique to you. Most people say it takes a while to get a style. I think as you spin longer, your style will always become more prevalent. Or just be yourself and spin. And that's the end of my rant. Should just lurked this instead. QQ

14. drgripable
    Date: Sun, May 1 2011 01:32:01

I believe style is what differentiates spinners from each other. If there was no style, all spinners would look about the same. You need not develop style to HAL's level where it is so distinctive and awesome that you can tell without doubt who it is. you should focus on things that look different in your combos than in the combos of other spinners. This will help you get a general idea of what your style is like.

15. mapjay
    Date: Sun, May 1 2011 03:08:19

i like doggy style.LOL "spin mx, mx gives you style"~SPRiNGFiELD or Faust

16. SPRiNGFiELD
    Date: Sun, May 1 2011 03:26:55

mapjay wrote: i like doggy style.LOL "spin mx, mx gives you style"~SPRiNGFiELD or Faust
    it just helps to work out my style for me i guess. not the most applicable to all.. the best way to develop style is to watch more spinners, see the way they handle their spinning and you may wish to reflect on yours, how do u wish to spin. work on finger control, way you do certain tricks. do u want your fingers straight? your pinky straight? keep nails? dont necessarily spin the way others do, spin the way you want but u may want to just keep a look out on certain aspects.. i'll give you a few examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnSxrsfOFa8 my favourite NIKoo solos. notice how he sticks out his pinky so perfectly :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k3QSWCV9Vc might wish to check out MaKiN, his finger motion and control is flawless imo. i personally have been trying to get his fl ta rev style. watch closely. alternatively you may wish to break the recent trends of spinning, going slow like S777, fancy hand motion like Snow or Pyralux, or impress people with crazy linkages like kin, rex or fel2fram :)