UPSB v4

Tutorials Pending Approval / The Musket Stic -- A Reasonably-Priced Heavy mod

1. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sat, Apr 23 2011 21:57:52

This mod is my attempt to replicate the feel of a Buster CYL with a relativly economical cost. ---------- Stats ---------- [B]The Musket Stic[/B] COG: COP Length: 21~23cm (customizable) Momentum: Dr. KT < Musket Stic < Buster CYL (roughly the same) Style: Double sided Writing Mechanism: Non-retractable Ink type: Tungsten Carbide ballpoint [COLOR="purple"]Estimated Cost:$2.34[/COLOR] ---------- Feature Overview ---------- [B]。Sleek precision-constructed design yielding balance, stability, and momentum.[/B]

Spoiler
    [B]。Two-position pocket clips on both ends, which could be retracted for spinning, and reversed to carry in shirt pockets.[/B]
    Spoiler
    [B]。Premium Tungsten carbide point ensuring smooth inkflow and a lifetime of writing pleasure.[/B]
    Spoiler
    [B]。Fine resin grip provides writing comfort.[/B]
    Spoiler
    ---------- Materials ---------- 1x Crayola Supertip (body) 1x BicMatic Grip mechanical pencil (grip) 1x dollar store yo-yo, 2-way clutch (both big metal balls) 1x dollar store yo-yo, 4-way clutch (2 of the small metal balls) 2x Bic RoundStic Grip Ultra 2x extra RoundStic caps 1x extra RoundStic Grip Grips [spoiler=2-way clutch yoyo][/spoiler] [spoiler=4-way clutch yoyo][/spoiler]

2. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sat, Apr 23 2011 21:59:14

---------- Instruction ---------- [spoiler=Body] 1. Disassemble the SuperTip completely 2. Cut the whole tip of the marker off. Also remove the mine-like notches inside the barrel (just the notches at the edge; leave the ridges alone). 3. Separate the front of the two RoundStic Grip pens. Leave the inktubes and barrels aside, as these will be used later in this mod 4. Take the extra grip and push it into the endplug side of the Supertip, as much as you can. 5. Cut the grip flush against the edge of the marker. 6. Wrap one layer of tape around both RoundStic Grip pieces. 7. Assemble the parts. [/spoiler] [spoiler=Cap][/spoiler] [spoiler=adjustment][/spoiler]

3. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sat, Apr 23 2011 22:05:11

[spoiler=Cap] 9. Take two RoundStic Grip caps and remove the clips. 10. Remove the cover at the tip of the cap. 11. Take the small metal balls from the 4-way clutch Yo-Yo and drop one into each cap. Push them in with a pencil; they should stay in snuggly, but due to production inconsistencies, some caps may not hold the ball firm enough. If this happens, simply wrap a layer of tape around the ball and then stuff it back in. 12. Remove the grip from the BicMatic Pencil and cut it into two equal halves. 13. Take the large metal balls from the 2-way clutch Yo-Yo and drop one into each grip (yep, you heard me right, in the grips). Assemble the grip+balls onto the cap. 14. Assemble the pen. It is now ready for adjustment. [/spoiler]

4. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sat, Apr 23 2011 22:18:05

[spoiler=Adjustment] 15. Test-spin the pen to see if the length is OK for you. Right now it should be roughly 23cm in total. Skip to step 19 if you are comfortable with the length. If not, continue with the procedure. 16. Determine a good length you’d like your pen to be. You will be cutting half of the length difference from the grips on each side, shortening the whole pen to your ideal length. 17. Disassemble the two sides and remove the grips. Cut the grips like mentioned in step 16. 18. Re-assemble the pieces. 19. Take the inktubes that we left aside earlier and cut them just short enough to fit inside the pen. If they are brand-new and unused ones, I recommend shortening it by cutting the tip side. Simply separate the tip and the tube and cut a ink-filled section. Reassemble the inktubes and put it into the pen. 20. Take the two extra caps and cut off the lip section, together with the elevated ring. Throw away or store the top, whatever you like; we’re only using the lips. 21. We will be shortening the caps that we made earlier by half a length difference from each one. Mark the point where you are trimming down to and sand the caps to that point. You could also just cut off a large portion first and then sand it down, but make sure that the edge is not slanted. 22. Cut off the notch that was left by the clips on the cap. Make sure that it will fit under the clips on the lip pieces when assembled. 23. Repeat the same procedure for the other cap, though this time you need to pay attention to the completed one to make sure the two are equal in length. 24. Assemble the caps and lip pieces. The mod is now spinnable. [/spoiler]

5. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sat, Apr 23 2011 22:19:41

I see that some people are not quite comfortable with the unconventional appearance of this mod. I guess it's probably like Lamy's pen designs, it's hard for some to get out of their comfort zone and accept such eccentricity; but eventually you'll appretiate the beauty and creativity of the designer's fine work if you have truely good tastes. ---------- Q&A ---------- Q1: Where could I buy the cheap yoyos? A: as mentioned before, they could easily be found in almost any dollar stores. Check the toys section.

6. Raos
    Date: Sat, Apr 23 2011 22:50:43

the only problem with this mod is that the yoyo parts are hard to get for some people

7. Cloud
    Date: Sat, Apr 23 2011 23:08:44

honestly 1. no one requested a tut 2. it looks bad/weird 3. no one really buys yoyos for pen mods 4. more difficult to make than buster 5. you didnt need 5 posts to make a tut

8. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sat, Apr 23 2011 23:30:37

DrakeOhMeteor007;87527]the only problem with this mod is that the yoyo parts are hard to get for some people[/QUOTE] I dunno, but all the dollar stores I've been to always have both of the yoyos I listed. [QUOTE=Cloud wrote: 3. no one really buys yoyos for pen mods
    Uhh, what's so hard about grabbing a cheap one from a dollar store, for only two dollars?
    5. you didnt need 5 posts to make a tut
    Sorry about that, but there is a limit that only 12 pictures are allowed per post, so I had to split it up into parts.
    4. difficult
    1. no one requested a tut
    Contradiction? And also, there are a couple people who requested for a tutorial, so I don't know why you were so certain about nobody ever requesting it.

9. Flarion
    Date: Sat, Apr 23 2011 23:40:20

Well, Im going to have to agree, this is kind of pointless. All it is is a bictory with a subbed body and random extra weights thrown in. Ive done the same thing, except instead of metal balls from yoyos I used bullets (I like to live dangerously ;) lol) Its nothing all that special

10. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sat, Apr 23 2011 23:49:37

Flarion wrote: Well, Im going to have to agree, this is kind of pointless. All it is is a bictory with a subbed body and random extra weights thrown in. Ive done the same thing, except instead of metal balls from yoyos I used bullets (I like to live dangerously ;) lol) Its nothing all that special
    No offence intended but, according to this logic, any mod that uses Bic RoundStic caps and weights are essencially "a Bictory with subbed body". And a R-stic mod is basically a Bictory without its caps, but people liked it because he built some hype by putting on an outsert to hide the structure of the mod, making it hard for people to figure out how he made it. To be honest, to me there really isn't much "creativity" difference between this mod and the R-stic. Rather, it is the illusion created by the hype that makes people think it is a sophisticated mod, when there really isn't anything special in the structure itself. I say that the only factor that was involved is the presentation (in the broader sense). I could've put some stripes to decorate the body, dye the caps, and put pretty effects on the pictures in PhotoShop, etc, just to make it look more attractive than what it actually would be if people are to mod it themselves. I just don't like to over-illustrate it because I prefer showing the intrinsic quality rather than an illusion. Just my two cents.

11. Kastup
    Date: Sat, Apr 23 2011 23:50:40

Cloud wrote: honestly 1. no one requested a tut 2. it looks bad 3. no one really buys yoyos for pen mods 4. more difficult to make than buster 5. you didnt need 5 posts to make a tut
    This.

12. Flarion
    Date: Sat, Apr 23 2011 23:54:21

Yes, however, an R-stic is not the same as a bictory without caps. And either way you look at it, this mod really isnt all that special. Ive had a pen very similar to this and it isnt all that great to spin, but if you like it, thats your opinion.

13. exclusive
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 00:04:26

is this a joke?

14. AWtii69
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 00:26:29

@Cloud when are you gana learn to shut up?? quit flaming everybody just to make yourself feel more powerful or whyever the heck u do it, its pointless. you can say it in a nice way, or a attempt. you want to hear your gay voice flame people about stuff your usually wrong about. i like the name daniel and great tutorial, dont listen to these losers

15. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 00:49:57

AWtii69;87551] i like the name daniel and great tutorial[/QUOTE] Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate your support very much :). [QUOTE=Flarion wrote: Yes, however, an R-stic is not the same as a bictory without caps. And either way you look at it, this mod really isnt all that special. Ive had a pen very similar to this and it isnt all that great to spin, but if you like it, thats your opinion.
    Actually, I would rather like to know how it is NOT a bictory without caps, when the structure is simply a Bictory body with tips and grips added. And having a "similar mod" is not the same thing as the actual thing. How similar, it is relative. You could say that a Bictory is similar to a Comssa, while in reality they feels completely different. Your claim would be void unless you elaborate on exactly what your "similar" mod is like. Who knows? Maybe you said so just after looking at the appearance, which could mean a significant weight difference if you are missing the hidden metal balls.

16. Raos
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 01:18:51

im not flaming lol, I jsut said that the yoyo things are hard to get for ppl outside of Ontario

17. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 01:33:30

DrakeOhMeteor007 wrote: im not flaming lol, I jsut said that the yoyo things are hard to get for ppl outside of Ontario
    Of course you're not. I was just saying though, I used to live in BC and the all dollar store there too have these kind of yoyos.

18. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 01:34:43

I remember using yoyo ball bearings in my bictory when I first started spinning, really helps a lot w/ nice hidden weight ;]

19. Cloud
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 01:37:18

AWtii69 wrote: Cloud when are you gana learn to shut up?? quit flaming everybody just to make yourself feel more powerful or whyever the heck u do it, its pointless. you can say it in a nice way, or a attempt. you want to hear your gay voice flame people about stuff your usually wrong about. i like the name daniel and great tutorial, dont listen to these losers
    Thats actually not me flamin, just my 2 cents. It was a mainly a bictory with weights. Im not doing it to feel poweful (how would flamin make me feel powerful?) What do you mean a attempt? You cannot hear my voice. Personally, the r-stic looksterrible. @daniel0731ex no, i was not trying to flame. Thats just my critism. I've never tried to post more than 12 pics on one. What i dont like about yours: cheap yo yo's arent sold in anystores near me the st body with bic caps looks weird... it doesnt really match. Maybe if u used a different cap. musket stic is a nice name tho...

20. qinkuangan
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 01:46:46

daniel0731ex wrote: No offence intended but, according to this logic, any mod that uses Bic RoundStic caps and weights are essencially "a Bictory with subbed body". And a R-stic mod is basically a Bictory without its caps, but people liked it because he built some hype by putting on an outsert to hide the structure of the mod, making it hard for people to figure out how he made it. To be honest, to me there really isn't much "creativity" difference between this mod and the R-stic. Rather, it is the illusion created by the hype that makes people think it is a sophisticated mod, when there really isn't anything special in the structure itself. I say that the only factor that was involved is the presentation (in the broader sense). I could've put some stripes to decorate the body, dye the caps, and put pretty effects on the pictures in PhotoShop, etc, just to make it look more attractive than what it actually would be if people are to mod it themselves. I just don't like to over-illustrate it because I prefer showing the intrinsic quality rather than an illusion. Just my two cents.
    it doesnt matter you use decoration or photoshop or not..it just look weird . there are countless people made that kind of mod..

21. itzDaKine
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 01:48:03

@AWtii69 its so funny you should mention flaming someones post when in your post pretty much all you did was FLAME Cloud... so idunno about you guys but...... thats a FAIL!! HAHA! SUCK IT!! and as for the mod... i guess its a creative way of using ball bearings from a yoyo. but... i would really like to see a list of people who requested this.. also maybe if you change the caps and chizz to make it look more... eye catching? YADADAIMEAN? fo sho YADADAIMEAN!

22. Cube
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 01:57:42

It looks weird, but great tutorial.

23. AWtii69
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 02:00:01

@itzDaKine ..... how did i flame him? i told him to gal and stfu. i told him that hes the only one that likes hearing his voice

24. Cloud
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 02:05:16

@AWtii69 ok gal and stfu...whatever but im the only one who like hearing my gay voice? thats no flamin at all...

25. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 02:29:50

Cloud wrote: no, i was not trying to flame. Thats just my critism. I've never tried to post more than 12 pics on one. What i dont like about yours: cheap yo yo's arent sold in anystores near me the st body with bic caps looks weird... it doesnt really match. Maybe if u used a different cap. musket stic is a nice name tho...
    I never said anything about you attitude, I was explaining the reason why I made a quadruple post.

26. daniel0731ex
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 04:09:26

shoeman6 wrote: I remember using yoyo ball bearings in my bictory when I first started spinning, really helps a lot w/ nice hidden weight ;]
    Ball bearings?? Or you meant the ball weight, as shown here.

27. Cloud
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 04:14:32

@daniel0731ex umm well some guy was saying that i was flaming you well i like the new color scheme its mainly the asthetics that can be improved the caps are almost smaller than the body, which is a little strange.

28. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sun, Apr 24 2011 21:03:38

Your first mod was cool because it looked decent and you used the yoyo parts. But I'm just saying a second mod that capitalizes on the same idea of the ball bearings that does not look as nice in my opinion as your first? I just think you shouldn't be surprised by the negative attitude you recieved. I like how it doesn't cost a lot which is great for beginners. However I would suggest you amp up the aesthetics and release a v2 or better looking version :) Just my opinion since some people might actually like how it looks.

29. daniel0731ex
    Date: Mon, Apr 25 2011 00:28:19

How about now?

30. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Apr 25 2011 00:32:54

MUCH better :) Adding that element really changes the overall perception of the mod. Just sayin' ;D

31. Holypie
    Date: Mon, Apr 25 2011 00:46:41

Or solid coloured bic caps would look good as well.

32. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Apr 25 2011 01:03:29

The only other things I would do would be to remove the logo and add a black COG stripe of electrical tape. But that's just me ;)

33. daniel0731ex
    Date: Mon, Apr 25 2011 03:39:41

@Nachoaddict Nah I don't like having COG marks on a pen, not my style. And I actually like the golden writing on the body. BTW I just realized that the added clip kind of resembles the gunlocks on a musket gun :O Got that by a fluke? :P Anyways, updated new features on the mod.

34. Cloud
    Date: Mon, Apr 25 2011 04:01:03

holy crap that looks sooo much better. it actually looks kinda cool now... try a black supertip.

35. jet
    Date: Mon, Apr 25 2011 04:23:58

i like the new look! :D how about all black with some white tape?

36. daniel0731ex
    Date: Mon, Apr 25 2011 19:02:06

Well, I'm glad that the responses are positive now, now with the new looks.

37. JackyMacky
    Date: Mon, Apr 25 2011 23:53:14

Cloud wrote: honestly 1. no one requested a tut 2. it looks bad/weird 3. no one really buys yoyos for pen mods 4. more difficult to make than buster 5. you didnt need 5 posts to make a tut
    @daniel0731ex I made one. It's pretty efficient but I don't have yoyo ball bearings.

38. daniel0731ex
    Date: Tue, Apr 26 2011 01:27:46

@JackyMacky Well, not having the ball weight really makes a very big difference. You could get the yoyos at many dollar stores, just so that you know.

39. JackyMacky
    Date: Tue, Apr 26 2011 01:34:04

@daniel0731ex Yeah, so I improvise with signo tips though it made the pen a WHOLE lot longer. O_O

40. daniel0731ex
    Date: Tue, Apr 26 2011 01:47:52

@Cloud Meh, I don't have any black supertip bodies. Nor do I have the material to make an all-black sTEK body.

41. Rapid
    Date: Wed, Apr 27 2011 03:43:29

I want a pic with a black supertip nao!

42. jet
    Date: Wed, Apr 27 2011 03:46:42

i have a black supertip, but no yo-yo or bicmatic Dx

43. daniel0731ex
    Date: Wed, Apr 27 2011 22:18:50

Updated to V3!!! ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ @Rapid if only I have a black supertip.....

44. JackyMacky
    Date: Wed, May 18 2011 01:45:45

@daniel0731ex Lol, what a coincidence; mine is black. ^_^ I'm fine with just the airfits and signo tips. Sorry for the ugly pictures. :/

45. V-Storm
    Date: Wed, May 18 2011 02:47:17

JackyMacky wrote: @daniel0731ex Lol, what a coincidence; mine is black. ^_^ I'm fine with just the airfits and signo tips. http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/jackymacky60/Musket%20Stic/IMG_0479.jpg http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/jackymacky60/Musket%20Stic/IMG_0480.jpg Sorry for the ugly pictures. :/
    Me likey. Length?

46. daniel0731ex
    Date: Thu, May 19 2011 20:12:34

@JackyMacky Well, just so that you know the Signo tips are like only 1/4 of the weight of the musket balls...

47. JackyMacky
    Date: Fri, May 20 2011 02:44:24

@daniel0731ex Yea, I know. Not trying to spin anything too heavy for now. I just really like spinning supertip bodies. =D

48. daniel0731ex
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 02:19:55

So after someone told me that the mod is a bit center-heavy, I took off the inktubes and it feels just like a Buster now. Except maybe ever-so-slightly lighter because of the thin grips, but still much heavier than a Dr. KT. ----------------------------------OFF TOPIC----------------------------------- Even now I still think this mod looks pretty nice. I guess mine is kind of like Lamy pens, how most of their designs are not very well-recieved by many because of the unconventional looks; perhaps people just reluctant to get out of their comfort zone to try something new. Only those with good tastes would appretiate the beauty and creativity of the designer's fine work, though. Personally, I actually don't like the conventional, tips-sticking-out designs in most popular DC mods very much; that's why you don't see any of my original DC mods -- Yo-Yo Mawd, Musket Stic, and the Dogbone DC (tutorial coming soon) -- to have this kind of structure. (this mod totally resembles a musket gun).

49. PREDATORNET
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 03:21:21

So people who don't share your opinion on the looks of DC mods have bad taste. I see your thoguht porcess there, bro. Though seriously, PLEASE GET 5-10 REQUESTS FOR A TUTORIAL BEFORE YOU MAKE ONE. I AM SO TIRED OF SEEING [COLOR="white"]UGLY AND WEIRD[/COLOR] MODS THAT NO ONE APPEARS TO WANT. And don't give me that "this is a special mod" bs. If i'm gonna get an infraction for this, so be it.

50. daniel0731ex
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 03:26:05

PREDATORNET wrote: So people who don't share your opinion on the looks of DC mods have bad taste. I see your thoguht porcess there, bro. Though seriously, PLEASE GET 5-10 REQUESTS FOR A TUTORIAL BEFORE YOU MAKE ONE. I AM SO TIRED OF SEEING [COLOR="white"]UGLY AND WEIRD[/COLOR] MODS THAT NO ONE APPEARS TO WANT. And don't give me that "this is a special mod" bs. If i'm gonna get an infraction for this, so be it.
    Err, please don't put words in my mouth, I never said anythig like that. What I said about "good tastes" is refering to the Lamy designs. Sorry if my post caused any misunderstanding, Daniel

51. PREDATORNET
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 03:28:31

daniel0731ex wrote: @PREDATORNET Err, please don't put words in my mouth, I never said anythig like that. What I said about "good tastes" is refering to the Lamy designs. Sorry if my post caused any misunderstanding, Daniel
    By that part about good tastes and designer's work i assumed you were talking about your own mod, and your design, etc. etc. Sorry, i suppose. Even though i don;t like it, i can still live with it. PS: I want to see that new DC in SOYP before you make a tut.....

52. daniel0731ex
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 03:34:27

daniel0731ex wrote: Need suggestion: which grip combination is better??
    Posted two weeks ago. BTW what do YOU think of the Lamy designs? I personally too find them a bit hard to accept, but got used to it anyways. Still not my taste though, I prefer the timeless looks of Mont Blanc :P @PREDATORNET

53. PREDATORNET
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 03:47:51

Oh I suppose it's acceptable, go ahead and post a tutorial if you really want to -_-'

54. Froggy
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 04:39:14

get over it. why would u still wanna tag me to ur thread when i dont even care anymore i took the bullet and expressed the general opinion to you thats all. u dont wanna change, ur problem u wanna change, i dont care so stop tagging me into ur mod threads anymore cuz [B]i just dont care[/B] The End~ PrinceXD

55. daniel0731ex
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 04:51:11

@PrinceXD Ok Ok chillax, I meant no harm. I simply wanted share ideas with smart people who could help me, and came up with a random list from the top of my head. Didn't realize that you're still upset with me, Sorry if I disturbed you, I won't bother you anymore, if you say so. But I just wanted you to know that I don't hold grudges :( Peace, Daniel

56. Froggy
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 05:02:54

im not upset, but ive decided NOT TO give opinions anymore unless SPECIFICALLY asked you did not mention anything about me giving u opinions, and this feels like u're still onto "that" business if u want my opinion, make it clear. it just helps preventing any flaming wars in the future (at least for me) ---------------- I personally felt like the cap area is too long it makes the spinning area short.. and making the mod extra long ofcourse u could argue that u could spin ON the caps too but usually people would identify the barrel as the spinning area and it really does look like a stick instead of a DC mod check out a few other DC mods, they usually have large caps to clearly identify the spinning space eg: - ComSSa DC - Dr.KT/Dr.AC/Dr.CT - PC2 DC mods - Rushon DC spinning a common DC mod in front of the crowd would seems like spinning a stick spinning this mod in front of the crowd will definitely look like spinning a stick and I have no opinion of revealing tips, my personal DC mod is hidden tipped just never a fan of yoyo ballz. PrinceXD

57. itzDaKine
    Date: Wed, Jun 22 2011 07:16:06

why was i tagged in here? i no get it o.O everyone is entitled to their own opinion. usually the creator of his/her mod thinks highly of it and thinks its super cool. maybe be a little more humble. tbh i dont really care for these mods anymore. you call em a piece of art... i say theyre just random mods.

58. hoyeesuan
    Date: Tue, Jun 28 2011 08:45:52

i just luv the way people flame you and you continue the "conversation"