UPSB v4

Off-topic / Blogging

1. Twine
    Date: Wed, Apr 20 2011 23:34:01

Ohai guise. I wanted to start up a blog but I have no idea where to start. Is blogger a good site to use? What are some popular blogs? How can I make my log more popular? I will certainly have more questions as time goes on but if anyone could help, I would appreciate it a lot :)

2. davidguy
    Date: Wed, Apr 20 2011 23:43:09

i thought everyone used twitter nowadays

3. Raos
    Date: Thu, Apr 21 2011 01:10:55

theres blogspot

4. chris
    Date: Thu, Apr 21 2011 01:46:10

I used to use Multiply for my blogging (and still gets hits though I've shifted to tumblr, thanks to the built-in hit counter below the main page of your blog.) The main disadvantage of Multiply, Blogspot,etc. (I don't know, maybe it's just me again) is that it has a basic layout, which can be minimally customized by rearrangement and some CSS and the arrangement of posts isn't really that "streamlined". The advantage of tumblr is,primarily, theme customization. You can customize your pages to the way you want it to be (and there are themes made by other users in the Theme Garden, which you can further tweak up if you have good HTML skills). Also, you can queue posts in tumblr so if you have a lot in mind but you don't want to post it all at once, you can queue the posts so they will be seen in your blog page at your wanted date(s) And you can customize your blog URL (i.e. domain) in tumblr anytime. What's bad about tumblr is that you get this feeling of insecurity once people start following your blog(which is rather not likely unless you promote your blog. This can be just me again.) Basically, any blog-hosting site is good. The personal preferences of the extra features (customization, privacy, etc.) is what's going to make you choose. Also, if you want it to be popular, promote it on websites which are heavily populated (e.g. Facebook). If you're not planning for it to be a personal blog, you can pick out a certain topic of interest and be consistent with your posts. And that's about it. :) P.S. Offtopic: I always run out of topics to write. -.-

5. nateiskewl
    Date: Thu, Apr 21 2011 02:48:51

Just accept the fact that nobody care what you have to say and move on.

6. Loanshark
    Date: Thu, Apr 21 2011 04:45:21

Step 1 to getting a successful blog: Get an interesting life.

7. capoboy
    Date: Thu, Apr 21 2011 04:56:16

I used to use blogspot. If you want to get popular, you need to write something that is worth it to read. You also need to update your blog maybe weekly at the latest.

8. authenticatethepunk
    Date: Thu, Apr 21 2011 05:08:16

To increase your fanbase on tumblr, reblog trendy shit, or get promotions, or join those follow chains. To increase your fanbase on Blogger, comment regularly on popular blogs you follow. The blogspot blogosphere is smaller than you think.

9. Mike
    Date: Thu, Apr 21 2011 05:50:46

I use Blogger. Simple, easy to use. No need for a lot of customization.

10. MeiTenshi
    Date: Thu, Apr 21 2011 08:42:37

Wth do you write in a blog? a friend tried talking me into making one, did but one the first entry i was like '.......ok...what now?' Im not gonna write about my day coz thats boring as shit and no one cares wth is the point of blogs?? >3<

11. Tialys
    Date: Tue, Apr 26 2011 02:21:15

Twine wrote: How can I make my log more popular?
    Popular blogs have interesting content that is delivered regularly and marketed well. An easy way to generate content is to use material already available. There are many current topics to write about: the news, arts, technology, etc. Less popular topics also have the potential to make your blog popular if the interest has a dedicated fanbase. It's possible but more difficult to create content from scratch that gains popularity. Once you decide on the content, it goes without saying that you need to keep updating it regularly, maybe 1-2 times per week. Promoting your blog on popular sites makes more people aware of it and results in more readers. Creating and maintaining a popular blog can be time-consuming and tiresome, so a lot of people just blog for fun.

12. SJ
    Date: Thu, Apr 28 2011 09:38:21

tumblr is mainstream these days. blogspot is the second i believe? theres also wordpress and the like. i find tumblr pretty easy to use with a crapload of themes but uploading pics can be a biznatch. and its more for looking at pics and killing time. and for some reason the comment system is pretty annoying to install...since they dont really have it built in. if you want to blog for fun, do it. if you want your blog to be popular, its gonna take some effort. post interesting things...and itll probably require some advertising at first