UPSB v4

Member Introductions / Greetings, fellow mortals (and other)

1. Phlippieskezer
    Date: Tue, Apr 19 2011 01:52:36

Hello! I started (or at least tried to start) pen spinning yesterday, so I'm VERY new to this business. So, I've read through the (Fundamentals) FAQ, and I've watched a video for each fundamental trick. I can do Thumbaround with relative success (60 -70%; my catching sucks), though it's not absolutely smooth, and is pretty slow. I can do Sonic, though my success rate is below 50%, I'd estimate. I can do fingerpass (simple, easy), but not smoothly (oh my gosh! Hard!). I also tried charge, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. -.- My only questions are as follows: Which fundamental is best to start with? Does it matter? If it doesn't, I'll probably just keep practising Thumbaround, as I'm best at it. Um... Pens? I'm currently using an old pen I had lying about in my drawer (don't know what it's called) and... I can just about only use that pen, as I have more difficulty with any of the others than this. I see the RSVP Pentel pen is mentioned for beginners a lot. Should I go and drop by Staples and get one? I really don't know anything about pens for pen spinning. Are some pens simply better than others for pen spinning, or is it all preference? (Probably both. That's what I assume, anyway) Lastly, I'm a (South African) Vancouverite (well, I'm technically in Delta, Canada). I don't know any one who pen spins (or at least I don't know they pen spin), so I should probably find some group in regard to this? Recommendations? Thanks for any and all help. Also, hello again! Hopefully I last! P.S. I heard about this from the Speedsolving.com forums (I'm a speed and blindfold cuber), and I thought it seemed like a neat hobby, just so you know.

2. jet
    Date: Tue, Apr 19 2011 02:42:44

i think you mean thumbaround..... and it's harder to spin with a regular pen. There are a bunch of mods, or modifications of pens for spinning. check the wiki link at the top of the page :P

3. Phlippieskezer
    Date: Tue, Apr 19 2011 02:53:20

jet wrote: i think you mean thumbaround..... and it's harder to spin with a regular pen. There are a bunch of mods, or modifications of pens for spinning. check the wiki link at the top of the page :P
    Jip. I meant thumbaround. /facepalm Fixed. Also, I'll be checking that as soon as post this message... [EDIT]: That's an overwhelming amount of mods. Where should I start?

4. AWtii69
    Date: Tue, Apr 19 2011 02:59:21

make a bictory, and i started with the thumbaroud, but it doesnt matter really

5. jet
    Date: Tue, Apr 19 2011 03:07:18

i started with a bictory w/grips+tips. actually, i'm still using it. O_o I'm still a noob, so.....

6. Phlippieskezer
    Date: Tue, Apr 19 2011 03:23:57

lol... I only have a drawer full of unidentified pens... I found what's certainly a BIC, and is round... Should I go ahead and risk it? :P [EDIT]: And I went ahead a 'risked' it. I followed the BICtory guide, except I'm fairly certain what I used were not Round Stic's. Meh, it still works. Also, I filled the caps with Blu tak.

7. Raos
    Date: Tue, Apr 19 2011 04:49:52

:welcome:

8. Phlippieskezer
    Date: Tue, Apr 19 2011 23:04:29

DrakeOhMeteor007 wrote: :welcome:
    Why, hello there! ... Also, Canada? West or east side? ...I really need to find a club of some sort (at least some meets now and again at public locations like my speedsolving group) in order to learn better, I think.

9. Raos
    Date: Wed, Apr 20 2011 00:00:59

im from toronto?

10. Phlippieskezer
    Date: Wed, Apr 20 2011 00:07:31

Fair enough. Never mind then (in the OP I've already stated I'm looking for a club in Vancouver... And Toronto's a bit... Far. :P).

11. Raos
    Date: Wed, Apr 20 2011 00:49:27

delta is in BC right?

12. Phlippieskezer
    Date: Wed, Apr 20 2011 22:31:05

Jip. Delta is in British Columbia, near Vancouver.

13. Raos
    Date: Wed, Apr 20 2011 23:32:06

is it near golden

14. Phlippieskezer
    Date: Thu, Apr 21 2011 00:43:30

Golden? I don't think I've heard of it (don't blame me; I'm an emigrant), so... -Goes to Google Maps- Looks like it's a fairly large distance away... :( Why? You going there some time, and just wondering?

15. Raos
    Date: Thu, Apr 21 2011 01:10:15

no becuase thats the closest i gotten to vancouver lol