UPSB v4

Off-topic / Computer software tinkering

1. Sc00t
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 06:08:09

im sure a lot of people here like to tinker with the inner files of their computers, diving into the registry, bios, system like a game of operation, and if you're a true tinkerer you've totaled your system at least a few times. I've done this as a side-hobby for years while bored. The funnest part is taking risks and the reward is successfully changing something/solving the problem without causing your system to collapse. Like a game of jenga just more tedious. And of course...NO third party programs, just show what you've been able to do on your own, third party programs is cheats :P Personally, i found a way to remove iexplore.exe PERMENANTLY from the internet explorer folder, then i had fun trampling the folder to pits, deleting each file individually for sadistic fun rather than delete it all at once [i was at war with that folder for over an hour] Why? fuckin virus kept hijacking iexplorer over the course of a week so i just amputated it since i couldnt fix it with the dozen scanners and safe mode sessions. Problem solved once i managed to get rid of that shit [DOESNT NEED TO BE DONE IN SAFE MODE] [i spent 30 minutes googling it and there was no other easy way to get rid of iexplorer] heres how if you guys want to delete iexplorer [or any other auto-replacing system file really, lol.] and yes i do use win xp. it's such a wonderful OS. i tried 7 and it wouldn't let me tinker with it in such ways, it always had ways of keeping users in check that seemed hardwired into the system itself.. but XP lets you do everything whether it ends in tragedy or success EDIT: im aware it's possible to uninstall IE, but my computer wouldn't let me do it because of the virus, which thought it would be cute to corrupt the uninstallation process of internet explorer. If a scalpel doesn't work, you go to the chainsaw.

2. UEDan
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 06:45:22

Why don't you just learn to get rid of the Virus? Or a virus in general? That viruses might have attacked more than just IE.

3. Sc00t
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 07:01:15

UEDan wrote: Why don't you just learn to get rid of the Virus? Or a virus in general? That viruses might have attacked more than just IE.
    i couldn't. if it is it's not detected by malwarebytes, norton spysweeper, or ad-aware. i can't go delving into every single file looking for traces manually seeing as, well, im a human being @UEDan this virus got serious before i even noticed it. i admit that much. booted up one day, every file on my computer was hidden for some reason, which is annoying because im hell too lazy to spend 12 hours making them unhidden again. at least my compute runs smoother and there's no visible signs of it [my antivirus believes it's gone, and i have no proof that it's still around other than the damage it left]

4. Explosion101
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 20:30:20

If you know the file name there is a way to disable all permissions of it, it can't do anything after that.

5. Sc00t
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 23:07:15

Explosion101 wrote: If you know the file name there is a way to disable all permissions of it, it can't do anything after that.
    :)