UPSB v4

General Discussion / Magazine Article on PS

1. OpenSpin
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 04:34:06

Hey guys, I'm writing a feature story for a this class that I have...and I was running out of ideas and I thought, hey why not write a story about pen spinning? Many of my classmates shunned me...but whatever :3. I got interviews from VGG and S777 (VIC I HOPE YOU STILL REMEMBER THAT :D, THX) And well...I was wondering if you guys could like tell me that it sucks...(constructive criticism) Tell me what else I should add to it etc, I can fix grammar/spelling later so don't comment on that...so...without further ado, here it is...(Also if the lead sounds familiar...bleh, I was running out of ideas) Oh TITLE IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT TOO =D. SO now without further ado: (Oh also, don't post it anywhere else, cause my teacher would get really pissed) So you mastered juggling and the devil sticks? Perhaps you’re even pro. at the Baoding balls or yo-yoing, but are you ready to take on the new form of object manipulation that is pen spinning? Pen spinning, at the most basic definition is “the artistic manipulation of a pen in an aesthetically pleasing fashion.” It is form of contact juggling, and therefore is categorized as a sport. Pen spinning was believed to have started in Japan and parts of Asia about 90 years ago and but has been most popular within the past 40 years. The popularity of pen spinning is definitely on the rise. In 2007 the very first pen spinning world tournament was hosted online, followed by a world cup in 2008 and another world tournament and world cup the following years, and as of right now the third world tournament is going on. Large companies have also started featuring pen spinning in their commercials. Volkswagen has made two commercials so far featuring pen spinning and K.F.C. has made one. There is even a pen spinning Wiki page. (http://tinyurl.com/PenWiki) Victor Rodriguez (more popularly known as VicGotGame), the U.P.S.B. champion says that “Pen spinning has been growing faster these past 5 years than any other time…These commercials are just another way of getting the sport more known, which is great!” Pen spinning may look very hard but with true interest in pen spinning you will find that it is very simple, this was the case for Victor. “At first when I started to pick up pen spinning, I wasn’t planning on becoming one of the best in the world. It was never a goal of mine; I just wanted to learn a few tricks that I thought looked cool…The way I was breaking down a trick to find the reason why I wasn’t getting it, or the structuring of a combo and how its best presented. I was really getting into it. Over time I just started getting better and better because of dedication, interest, analysis, and patience.” The best ways to pick up on pen spinning, like many other activities is to start with the most basic tricks and then ascend up the difficulty ladder. There are a plethora of tricks that one can learn, and there are new tricks being created every day. It is beneficial to have other spinners comment on your spinning and learn from video tutorials online or the pen spinning wiki page for the trick. However the number one tip is to be patient and be diligent. “I would say if you’re looking to be serious with pen spinning then learn all the basic fundamental tricks. These are the easiest starting tricks and really the tricks that will make it so you can learn any other trick… Oh and also, if you’re not happy with your learning path, learning too slow[ly] or can’t get a certain trick don’t give up,” recommends Victor. The world wide pen spinning community is actually very large, and competitive. Many countries, such as groups France, Germany, Thailand, Taiwan and Korea have pen spinning organizations and groups. There is even a pen spinning board for the entire world, the Universal Pen Spinning Board (U.P.S.B.). “…pen spinning spreads in the world since more and more countries create their own board,” says Stan (more popularly known as S777) of the French pen spinning board (F.P.S.B.). “Another thing is join the pen spinning community! There are many pen spinning community forums online that would be perfect to start at. Getting info on a trick or combo, getting advice from other advanced spinners, or even opinions from other spinners on your spinning is a great way of learning,” said Victor. Becoming associated with these boards are very helpful if you want to learn how to or become better at pen spinning. “There are many pen spinning community forums online that would be perfect to start at,” says Victor. Like many other hobbies, pen spinning has fan groups and critics. “I always enjoy the positive comments people send me. I must confess that it made my motivation the two first years, when I was younger,” said Stan. “Half the time people think it’s awesome and very memorizing to watch, while others think it’s stupid and a waste of time. Usually whoever thinks its great will want to learn more about it and even a couple tricks…For the negative crowd, ill usually just ignore them. Online I’ve gotten a lot of comments saying "Get a life." or "wow no life". It’s the internet; they don’t know who I am, so I just ignore them. I’ve rarely gotten any comments in public that were as bad as the no life comment. I’ve only really gotten people who will laugh when I do it,” said Victor. Pen spinning requires the deft movement of fingers, and it is believed to cause finger problems such as carpel tunnel. “It [pen spinning] could cause carpel tunnel no doubt. Pen spinning is no different than playing an instrument, typing or other things using your fingers and hands that has been known to cause carpel tunnel,” says Victor. Pen spinning may distract you in class or at work but you should not let pen spinning “take over your life”. “I still want to separate my pen spinning life and my real life pen spinning isn't something major in my life. I think that we have to be responsible. High [level]-pen spinning can be a human and artistic experience, but it will always be something that is "secondary". You can't really say you're human if your life is just spinning a pen,” says Stan. (C) OpenSpin 2011 (damn i hope this works)

2. Sc00t
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 05:04:02

OpenSpin wrote: Let's pretend i'm your teacher and a pen spinner grading your paper and giving random thoughts as i read it. I've had some pretty nit-picky teachers, and have written enough papers to pretty much copy their grading method. Let's begin! Hey guys, I'm writing a feature story for a this class for a this class? oh wait the article hasn't begun yet. that I have...and I was running out of ideas and I thought, hey why not write a story about pen spinning? Many of my classmates shunned me...but whatever :3. I got interviews from VGG and S777 (VIC I HOPE YOU STILL REMEMBER THAT :D, THX) And well...I was wondering if you guys could like tell me that it sucks...(constructive criticism) Tell me what else I should add to it etc, I can fix grammar/spelling later so don't comment on that...so...without further ado, here it is...(Also if the lead sounds familiar...bleh, I was running out of ideas) Oh TITLE IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT TOO =D. SO now without further ado: (Oh also, don't post it anywhere else, cause my teacher would get really pissed) So you mastered juggling and the devil sticks? Perhaps you’re even pro. at the Baoding balls or yo-yoing, but are you ready to take on the new not THAT new! form of object manipulation that is pen spinning? Pen spinning, at the most basic definition is “the artistic manipulation of a pen in an aesthetically pleasing fashion.” It is form of contact juggling, and therefore is categorized as a sport. Pen spinning was believed to have started in Japan and parts of Asia about 90 years ago woa. and but has been most popular within the past 40 years.i thought it started getting popular in the 90's! the more you know.. The popularity of pen spinning is definitely on the rise. In 2007 the very first pen spinning world tournament was hosted online, followed by a world cup in 2008 and another world tournament and world cup the following years, and as of right now the third world tournament is going on. Large companies have also started featuring pen spinning in their commercials. Volkswagen has made have made sounds more appropriate two commercials so far featuring pen spinning and K.F.C. has made one. i wanna see this now! There is even a pen spinning Wiki page. (http://tinyurl.com/PenWiki) Victor Rodriguez didn't know this. (more popularly known as VicGotGame), the U.P.S.B. champion one of them, anyway. technically retired as of now..:violin: says that “Pen spinning has been growing faster these past 5 years than any other time…These commercials are just another way of getting the sport more known, which is great!” Pen spinning may look very hard but with true interest in pen spinning you will find that it is very simple, this was the case for Victor. “At first when I started to pick up pen spinning, I wasn’t planning on becoming one of the best in the world. It was never a goal of mine; I just wanted to learn a few tricks that I thought looked cool…The way I was breaking down a trick to find the reason why I wasn’t getting it, or the structuring of a combo and how its best presented. I was really getting into it. Over time I just started getting better and better because of dedication, interest, analysis, and patience.” oh vic.. :emo: you're breaking my heart.. The best ways to pick up on pen spinning, like many other activities is to start with the most basic tricks and then ascend up the difficulty ladder. LATTER. There are a plethora of tricks that one can learn, and there are new tricks being created every day. It is beneficial to have other spinners comment on your spinning and learn from video tutorials online or the pen spinning wiki page for the trick."for the trick" looks out of place and unelaborated previously here, it would bother me if i were grading it and weren't a pen spinner.. You went from talking about "spinning" to "trick" which may be somewhat foreign to your teacher. However the number one tip is to be patient and be diligent. diligent is relative, i like to learn slowly and when i feel like it, but i guess if you took it extremely seriously, that would be different, but yes, no patience = no spinning. period. All my friends are a testament to that. Drop a thumbaround 11 times and they're done. In fact, i believe the patience to keep trying a trick constantly without getting frustrated or giving up after a few drops is a defining characteristic of a true pen spinner. I'll stop rambling now. “I would say if you’re looking to be serious with pen spinning then learn all the basic fundamental tricks. and their reverses! These are the easiest starting tricks and really a comma somewhere around really seems appropriate, if you were looking to add emphasis. otherwise it looks like it's enhancing something the tricks that will make it so you can learn any other trick… Oh and also, if you’re not happy with your learning path, are learning too slow[ly] don't need these brackets or can’t get a certain trick down , don’t give up,"comma? i think it goes after the quotation mark! recommends Victor. The world wide pen spinning community is actually very large, and competitive. Many countries, such as groups France, Germany, Thailand, Taiwancomma and Korea have pen spinning organizations and groups. There is even a pen spinning board for the entire world, the Universal Pen Spinning Board (U.P.S.B.). “…Pen Spinning spreads in the world since more and more countries create their own board,”comma after quotation mark again. can't complain about the quote's sentence structure because.. well it's a quote says Stan (more popularly known as S777) of the French pen spinning board (F.P.S.B.). “Another thing another? where did we start off? is join the pen spinning community! There are many pen spinning community forums online that would be perfect to start at. Getting info on a trick or combo, getting advice from other advanced spinners, or even opinions from other spinners on your spinning is a great way of learning,”comma misplaced again arg said Victor. Becoming associated with these boards are very helpful if you want to learn how to or become better at pen spinning. “There are many pen spinning community forums online that would be perfect to start at,” says Victor. remove this. it's redundant, as you said it a few paragraphs up. Like many other hobbies, pen spinning has fan groups and critics. “I always enjoy the positive comments people send me. I must confess that it made my motivation the two first years, when I was younger,” comma and pronunciation at the end said Stan. “Half the time people think it’s awesome and very memorizing to watch, while others think it’s stupid and a waste of time.i know and it MAKES ME RAGE! Usuallycomma whoever thinks itapostrophes great will want to learn more about it and even a couple tricks…For the negative crowd, ill usually just ignore them. Online I’ve gotten a lot of comments saying "Get a life." or "wow no life". It’s the internet; they don’t know who I am, so I just ignore them. I’ve rarely gotten any comments in public that were as bad as the no life comment.haha, i do I’ve only really gotten people who will laugh when I do it,”the comma and quotation thing is giving me a migraine. giving your teacher migraine's isn't good! said Victor. Pen spinning requires the deft movement of fingers, and it is believed to cause finger problems such as carpelcarpal tunnel. if you spam a lot, i suppose. :spin: “It [pen spinning] could cause carpelcarpal tunnel no doubt. Pen spinning is no different than playing an instrument, typing or other things using your fingers and hands that has been known to cause carpelcarpal tunnel,” says Victor. Good use of supporting your claims with a quote. This is the kind of things english teachers like to see. Pen spinning may distract you in class or at work but you should not let pen spinning “take over your life”. “I still want to separate my pen spinning life and my real life pen spinning IS part of your real life.. really S777? Oh well, it's his opinion. and this is mine. pen spinning isn't something major in my life.neither are ants but are they part of your ant life? I think that we have to be responsible. High [level]-move dash to after Highpen spinning can be a human and artistic experience, but it will always be something that is "secondary". You can't really say you're human if your life is just spinning a pen,”i'll stop bringing this up. says Stan. (C) OpenSpin 2011 (damn i hope this works)5 points for vulgarity, young man. I'd like for you to see me after class.
    Bold is my post. if it's not correcting something your teacher would notice if he's strict, it's just giving my opinion on different parts. overall good structure, would read again. I DO recommend you proofread it like i did next time if you went through so much trouble to interview people etc. Not to say i caught every single error, i only read through it once, but i think i gave some points to improve it with :)

3. OpenSpin
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 05:18:57

Stare wrote: Bold is my post. if it's not correcting something your teacher would notice if he's strict, it's just giving my opinion on different parts. overall good structure, would read again. I DO recommend you proofread it like i did next time if you went through so much trouble to interview people etc. Not to say i caught every single error, i only read through it once, but i think i gave some points to improve it with :)
    Thanks! This was just a first draft that our teacher gave us 1 hour to write :p. I think VGG last name is Rodriguez, I didn't ask him directly, but i (think) heard it in a T.V. article on pen spinning. :P

4. Sc00t
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 05:21:09

OpenSpin wrote: Thanks! This was just a first draft that our teacher gave us 1 hour to write :p. I think VGG last name is Rodriguez, I didn't ask him directly, but i (think) heard it in a T.V. article on pen spinning. :P
    Article on T.V? sounds boring,

5. Enigmatic
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 05:23:49

Very nice article, for a title how about: Pen Spinning, is a hobby Pen Spinning... a means to entertain or.. Pen Spinning, an uprising sport lol idk just a few ideas

6. Sc00t
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 05:25:05

I would call it: The Art of Pen Spinning

7. OpenSpin
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 05:27:28

I'm usually comical with most of my titles :P (like puns and what not) There aren't any good puns or proverbs for that case with Pen in it...(except the pen is mightier than the sword, but that sounds lame :P) Some titles I came up with are Can I borrow a Pen? Who uses a Pen to write anymore? They're pretty bad :X

8. Olji
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 06:03:42

"Penspinning, makes you good with your fingers" :trollface:

9. exclusive
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 06:04:04

Stare wrote: Bold is my post. if it's not correcting something your teacher would notice if he's strict, it's just giving my opinion on different parts. overall good structure, would read again. I DO recommend you proofread it like i did next time if you went through so much trouble to interview people etc. Not to say i caught every single error, i only read through it once, but i think i gave some points to improve it with :)
    kfc commercial [video=youtube;JeuSqbnV6us]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeuSqbnV6us[/video]

10. Jazz
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 12:40:51

You sir, just inspired me to write my compositon on Pen Spinning =)

11. itzDaKine
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 16:38:55

Really good writing! i like it alot.. anything i would say is replacing "says Victor" as its being used repetively.. but thats abot it:) other than that really goood job! as for titles: "A Modded Pen is even mighter than the Sword" "Whos Dr KT?"

12. JackyMacky
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 16:39:19

I like it even though there were few errors in spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Hmmmm....I should tell the journalism class of my high school to do an article about pen spinning. :D And yes, Vic's last name is Rodriguez; says so on his youtube page.

13. itzDaKine
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 16:39:54

Really good writing! i like it alot.. anything i would say is replacing "says Victor" as its being used repetively.. but thats abot it:) other than that really goood job! as for titles: "A Modded Pen is even mighter than the Sword" "Whos Dr KT?"

14. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 20:13:38

dont need to call it U.P.S.B. thats really fatiguing to read

15. OpenSpin
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 23:08:00

Thanks for all the feedback guys :D, are there any more content/information I should address/add into the article? Or are there any inaccurate information (cause that would be bad =()

16. mapjay
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 14:17:40

OpenSpin wrote: I'm usually comical with most of my titles :P (like puns and what not) There aren't any good puns or proverbs for that case with Pen in it...(except the pen is mightier than the sword, but that sounds lame :P) Some titles I came up with are Can I borrow a Pen? Who uses a Pen to write anymore? They're pretty bad :X
    how bout "wanna learn to finger someone?"

17. J74Q
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 15:11:13

mapjay wrote: how bout "wanna learn to finger someone?"
    now should change to "wanna learn to pen someone?" :D

18. OpenSpin
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 22:41:11

lol, a little inappropriate

19. Enigmatic
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 23:12:02

a little less inappropriate might be "wanna learn how to play with your fingers" lol or "wanna learn how to play with a pen"

20. An0dyne_SeA
    Date: Sun, Apr 17 2011 00:10:02

“Half the time people think it’s awesome and very memorizing to watch, while others think it’s stupid and a waste of time." Should me mesmerizing instead of memorizing? I think...

21. OpenSpin
    Date: Thu, Apr 21 2011 01:09:39

oh right, thanks XD