UPSB v4

Advanced Tricks / Trick Book

1. strat1227
    Date: Tue, Jun 8 2010 19:24:35

The most comprehensive list in PS right now is done by Mats, an excel spreadsheet is attached to this post.

2. Mats
    Date: Thu, Dec 9 2010 17:05:36

It's version 1.8 of the trick book: http://www.mediafire.com/?ji5zvvyabdqap9m What's changed since 1.7? About 15 new tricks are in it. And nearly every trick has a link to the appropriate UPSB wiki page now. Plus, some formatting got fixed. If enough people fill in the trick difficulty surveys, then I will release 2.0 - Probably more tricks/more wiki links and rough difficulty ratings for some tricks too. 2.0 will probably have an HTML version and PDF.

3. fang
    Date: Thu, Dec 9 2010 18:18:25

thanks mats, it looks great as always!! :P

4. Mats
    Date: Fri, Dec 10 2010 14:24:42

To me, the trick book is a bit too much of a wall of text. Hopefully, an HTML version will be a bit more readable. Any ideas on better readability would be good. Any ideas at all for improvements are good actually...

5. k-ryder
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 01:53:05

i think it would look better if the columns went in this order type | trick | (possible slot variations) | direction | list modifiers by possible slot variations, i mean for say backarounds, theres normal, middle-, ring- etc. i do also think that theres way too many arounds i think they are necessary to have, maybe above suggestion could cull/trim/neaten it up a bit, but it is honestly super confusing another idea is to have links to different sheets the front sheet will have just the trick families, and each other sheet will have just the tricks in the specific families i think if you right click and insert hyperlink, you can link between sheets in an excel document while we're on the topic of hyperlinks, why not just hyperlink the trick name, instead of having a text url which you have to copypasta to actually navigate excel is pretty powerful, you dont necessarily need a html/pdf (how would pdf work) version if you save it as read only, then nothing will get screwed up there was also a site where you can upload office documents, and be viewable online on the content side, difficulty is good, and also a learning order tier would be helpful fundies tier 1, tw sonic/shadow/bak/etc tier 2, busts tier 3 or whatever adding list of common hybrids also could help. twisted sonic, warped also adding hybrids will allow haitua to be included well, theres a bit of light reading to do, and some things to mull over hopefully something here would help upgrade the trick book, i think it could be a pretty useful resource

6. Mats
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 05:22:21

i think it would look better if the columns went in this order type | trick | (possible slot variations) | direction | list modifiers by possible slot variations, i mean for say backarounds, theres normal, middle-, ring- etc.
    I'm not going to do anything with slots. Basically, any trick can start and end anywhere. =/
    do also think that theres way too many arounds i think they are necessary to have, maybe above suggestion could cull/trim/neaten it up a bit, but it is honestly super confusing
    Brilliant. Next release - Complete trick book and trick book light (trimmed down to more common tricks).
    while we're on the topic of hyperlinks, why not just hyperlink the trick name, instead of having a text url which you have to copypasta to actually navigate
    Didn't know you could do that in the program. Will definately add this if I can find out how to do it!
    on the content side, difficulty is good, and also a learning order tier would be helpful
    I've put a the first difficulty survey. If it goes okay, I'll put up some from time to time to add more difficulties to tricks. Only common tricks are going to receive difficulties though. I don't want to be judging difficulty of tricks unless at least about 10 people have contributed their thoughts. I've thought a lot about a possible learning order, something like the one that Kam made a long time ago. To be honest, I'll probably put one together at some point, but it will definately be not related to the trick book and done as a seperate project and called 'suggested learning order', with the key word being suggested. I don't want people following one like a script. On the topic of hybrids, I was going to put together a named hybrids book at some point. Not sure if to keep it seperate, or just at the bottom of the trick book. Probably will end up just having 1) Trick book 2) Hybrids book and 3) Both combined.

7. Soren
    Date: Wed, Dec 15 2010 17:24:13

thanks, this is really helpful, as i can tell what tricks i can do and what i need to learn