UPSB v4

General Discussion / Most Overrated/Underrated Pen spinners

1. MickChickenn
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 03:58:00

Who are the most over/underrated spinners ever? My personal opinion is that HAL is the most overrated, and Baaron is the most underrated.

2. AwonW
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 04:01:35

MickChickenn wrote: Baaron is the most underrated.
    You've got to be kidding me.

3. MickChickenn
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 04:05:38

Im not. Half the people I ask dont even know who Baaron is. Baaron is so good, that if you look, the breakdown team for WT11 had to ask Baaron for the breakdown to one of his combos because they couldnt figure it out.

4. AwonW
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 04:08:00

MickChickenn wrote: Im not. Half the people I ask dont even know who Baaron is. Baaron is so good, that if you look, the breakdown team for WT11 had to ask Baaron for the breakdown to one of his combos because they couldnt figure it out.
    The 500+ subscribers on his youtube channel show that he's far from underrated. Of course he's awesome, but underrated? Definitely not.

5. MickChickenn
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 04:11:13

Yes, but if you leave Baaron out of a list of the greatest spinners, would anyone notice? Nobody would say "Where the heck is Baaron? He should be on this list!"

6. Van
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 04:18:36

HAL is not overrated his over-overrated >_> sure he might have had some unsatisfactory wins in the WT, but he is an amazing spinner, not some overrated spinner

7. MickChickenn
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 04:23:52

yes, he is amazing, but not as good as the WT makes him out to be. His combos are very good, but he should have lost to Baimai, and should have lost a few years ago to Baaron.

8. Van
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 04:26:52

i disagree; i think it was k-ryder? pointing out about the fact that if one was to judge accordingly to the criteria, HAL did clearly beat BaiMai Baaron and BaiMai were both amazing, and they couldve won but appearently it didnt go with the criteria and yes i know im gonna get many disagreeing comments on this but... HAL is not overrated

9. iBlameLag
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 04:51:28

Wtf?! Hal being overrated and Baaron being underrated... I dunno about HAL, but Baaron?! Baaron's completely well known by his sexy spinning.

10. MickChickenn
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 05:21:34

I hadnt even heard of Baaron as of 1 week ago. Idk, but I say hes underrated IMO.

11. AwonW
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 05:30:38

MickChickenn wrote: I hadnt even heard of Baaron as of 1 week ago. Idk, but I say hes underrated IMO.
    You're like the only one.

12. A.Sate
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 05:33:29

Just cause you havent heard of Baaron until recently, doesnt mean every other new spinner hasnt. Hal is overrated, but not as much as you make him out to be.

13. hoiboy
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 05:37:12

MickChickenn wrote: Im not. Half the people I ask dont even know who Baaron is. [B]Baaron is so good, that if you look, the breakdown team for WT11 had to ask Baaron for the breakdown to one of his combos because they couldnt figure it out.[/B]
    Please, get your facts right. A member decided it would be best to work on Baaron's breakdown in tangent with Baaron himself, not because he couldn't figure it out. If you look actually looked at any of the processes, you will see that we did the same thing many times by taking the breakdown that the spinner provides and comparing it with what we interpreted the combo to be. I am not bashing Baaron's difficulty or awesomeness, I am just objecting to your description that the Break Team is unable to handle his combos.

14. casual
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 05:46:56

You never heard of Baaron until a week ago? Watch more videos please. Edit: Joining UPSB early in your pen spinning career sure makes you easily influenced by the opinions of other spinners, doesn't it?

15. i.suk
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 10:06:33

all the 'god' level spinners have crazy fanboys and haters...the fanboys overrate them, the haters underrate them -.- it's hard to find a given spinner who is overrated or underrated by the majority of spinners around the world imo...but i'm kinda braindead after coming home after uni ended at 6pm so i'm probably missing something here

16. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 11:43:08

no offense, but I think ponkotu is overrated. hes very creative but sometimes his creativity doesn't look good. dunno maybe i don't understand

17. drgripable
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 21:27:55

Its not really that HAL is overrated, its the way the judges weighed his style over more of the technicalities. HAL is just more popular seeing as that he has a more aesthetically pleasing style than Baaron, who often has visible mistakes even to a noob like me (though he is a GREAT spinner, im not dissing him).

18. Gisele 8
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 21:39:02

topic is intersting, but starter is only rageboy.. whatever here are my opinions overrated = jeb legends (kuzu mostly) , s777 and fratleym ofc, bonkura, vicgotgame, snow and spinners with "old korean style" underrated = crew, CCW, rex, gold angel, kin, some less-known spinners so it's quite normal, hard-trickers and fire@fox!! i can't believe how underrated he is, considering he brought us the most difficult penspinning combos of all times. for sure i forgot a lot of people. ho, and about halvsbaaron, what happended is fair to me.

19. RH
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 21:47:13

Overrated spinners= SEVEN, S777, Spinnerpeem,

20. hens
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 21:47:57

underrated: dkgamer and nhk_9? dunno bout you guys but i think it's hard to get that kind of smoothness with a wooden stick (3000*f)...

21. drgripable
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 21:54:46

Ya, @RH i never thot of it that way lol. Since peem is the champion of WT09 no one said anything lol. Its so true since he relies only on power tricks to get him through tournaments and such. By the way TEK explained in his video of why peem left wt11, supawit should be able to beat peem easily in battle

22. i.suk
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 22:17:56

drgripable wrote: Ya, @RH i never thot of it that way lol. Since peem is the champion of WT09 no one said anything lol. Its so true since he relies only on power tricks to get him through tournaments and such. By the way TEK explained in his video of why peem left wt11, supawit should be able to beat peem easily in battle
    he relies only on power tricks which he mostly pioneered/invented himself, and his abilities in that area still surpass what anyone else has been able to release even until now...it's hard to understand peem's insanity if you haven't extensively tried power tricks yourself though xD most people just say, 'his combos are repetitive and look the same, and everyone uses power anyway nowadays' that being said, peem could do with developing different trick areas (his non-power trick array is alright, i guess), and making his combos look different...it's not that fair that people keep saying 'supawit is better', as supawit (and every other person who uses power) essentially just copied what peem started -.- pudels kern is also fairly underrated, he doesn't seem to get as much attention as he deserves for his crazy palm-up stuff (which he was doing way before peem did 'pun new' in WC10)

23. drgripable
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 22:21:20

lol @i.suk in that sense kam is the champion of ps

24. Kastup
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 22:23:51

MickChickenn wrote: Yes, but if you leave Baaron out of a list of the greatest spinners, would anyone notice? Nobody would say "Where the heck is Baaron? He should be on this list!"
    I would.

25. neoknux_009
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 22:33:40

an underated spinner is sakun: [video=youtube;U_pg5igmceM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_pg5igmceM[/video] in terms of beauty smoothness and control anyway. a flavoured toro. I just rarely hear people pull out his name, and same with other korean spinners like skydigital. Locally, i think MIB is one of the spinners on UPSB. nice control and difficulty here. penninja is also pretty underrated, yet he has amazing combos that are very unique the way they are structured. JEB in general is overated, and TWPS is underated. im one of the few people i know who prefer TWPS > JEB. Same with FPSB. JEB is quite amazing..but its odd because i think people know that TWPS and FPSB have awesome spinners, but JEB still gets all this hype. but i think TWPS and FPSB are both > JEB. and i think people like peem, vic and s777 deserve their spot. :/ they arnt overated, they are rated quite well actually. They deserve the hype.

26. walrus
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 23:10:08

neoknux_009 wrote: an underated spinner is sakun: [video=youtube;U_pg5igmceM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_pg5igmceM[/video] in terms of beauty smoothness and control anyway. a flavoured toro. I just rarely hear people pull out his name, and same with other korean spinners like skydigital. Locally, i think MIB is one of the spinners on UPSB. nice control and difficulty here. penninja is also pretty underrated, yet he has amazing combos that are very unique the way they are structured. JEB in general is overated, and TWPS is underated. im one of the few people i know who prefer TWPS > JEB. Same with FPSB. JEB is quite amazing..but its odd because i think people know that TWPS and FPSB have awesome spinners, but JEB still gets all this hype. but i think TWPS and FPSB are both > JEB. and i think people like peem, vic and s777 deserve their spot. :/ they arnt overated, they are rated quite well actually. They deserve the hype.
    I <3 Sakun! His combo for Explore M was amazing :wub: [SIZE="1"]Baaron has enough attention =.=[/SIZE]

27. Sc00t
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 23:19:41

me :P as for overrated... spinnerpeem.. him and his mod have taken over this generation of pen spinners to spin exactly the same mod in exactly the same way :( truly a sad thing to see every 3month spinner with a buster spamming palmspins and busts in my perfect world every1 spins kt's and masters more than sonic and fingerpass before powertricks :)

28. sangara
    Date: Tue, Apr 5 2011 03:14:52

Lend me your ear children, adults, infants, and other assorted age groups to whom this concerns. First things first:

MickChickenn wrote: Yes, but if you leave Baaron out of a list of the greatest spinners, would anyone notice? Nobody would say "Where the heck is Baaron? He should be on this list!"
    You are confusing a good spinner with a "greatest" spinner (Colbert anyone?), the reason why no one would say "Where the heck is Baaron? He should be on the list!" is because he doesn't belong there, on a side note much love for your Baaron but you're always targeted in this situation sorry :/. A list of the "greatest spinners" should include only people that had completely revolutionized penspinning in their time e.g. David Weis, Kam, Hideaki Kondoh, Cloud Traveler, Bonkura, Spinnerpeem... you get the idea. Yes I know that people consider Peem overrated but you have to give him credit for what he did, which is pretty freaking amazing. Sure I can bash his style all I want (and I will) but so far I haven't: 1) Developed a widely appealing style 2) Created multipule (popular) tricks 3) Created one of the most famous mods of all time 4) Won a World Tournament 5) Inspired multiple generations of spinners Face it you haven't either, unless of course you are one of those amazing spinners then please excuse my comment. Spinnerpeem is not overrated, you can hate him all you want but that won't change what he was able to do. Now that that's cleared up with I have a few spinners that I believe are very overrated. Minwoo and Supawit, those are really the only two that I believe are way overly, overrated. When it comes to the list of underrated spinners, that's way too long to write out, a few mentions that I want to give would be, Leviathan, Pudels Kern, Kirua.

29. Sc00t
    Date: Tue, Apr 5 2011 03:21:15

sangara wrote: Lend me your ear children, adults, infants, and other assorted age groups to whom this concerns. First things first: You are confusing a good spinner with a "greatest" spinner (Colbert anyone?), the reason why no one would say "Where the heck is Baaron? He should be on the list!" is because he doesn't belong there, on a side note much love for your Baaron but you're always targeted in this situation sorry :/. A list of the "greatest spinners" should include only people that had completely revolutionized penspinning in their time e.g. David Weis, Kam, Hideaki Kondoh, Cloud Traveler, Bonkura, Spinnerpeem... you get the idea. Yes I know that people consider Peem overrated but you have to give him credit for what he did, which is pretty freaking amazing. Sure I can bash his style all I want (and I will) but so far I haven't: 1) Developed a widely appealing style 2) Created multipule (popular) tricks 3) Created one of the most famous mods of all time 4) Won a World Tournament 5) Inspired multiple generations of spinners Face it you haven't either, unless of course you are one of those amazing spinners then please excuse my comment. Spinnerpeem is not overrated, you can hate him all you want but that won't change what he was able to do. Now that that's cleared up with I have a few spinners that I believe are very overrated. Minwoo and Supawit, those are really the only two that I believe are way overly, overrated. When it comes to the list of underrated spinners, that's way too long to write out, a few mentions that I want to give would be, Leviathan, Pudels Kern, Kirua.
    Not being able to do better is a poor reason for saying we can't bash him.

30. sangara
    Date: Tue, Apr 5 2011 03:34:03

Stare wrote: Not being able to do better is a poor reason for saying we can't bash him.
    Let me adjust your eyes
    You are confusing a good spinner with a "greatest" spinner (Colbert anyone?), the reason why no one would say "Where the heck is Baaron? He should be on the list!" is because he doesn't belong there, on a side note much love for your Baaron but you're always targeted in this situation sorry :/. A list of the "greatest spinners" should include only people that had completely revolutionized penspinning in their time e.g. David Weis, Kam, Hideaki Kondoh, Cloud Traveler, Bonkura, Spinnerpeem... you get the idea. Yes I know that people consider Peem overrated but you have to give him credit for what he did, which is pretty freaking amazing. Sure I can bash his style all I want (and I will) but so far I haven't: 1) Developed a widely appealing style 2) Created multipule (popular) tricks 3) Created one of the most famous mods of all time 4) Won a World Tournament 5) Inspired multiple generations of spinners Face it you haven't either, unless of course you are one of those amazing spinners then please excuse my comment. Spinnerpeem is not overrated, you can hate him all you want but that won't change what he was able to do.

31. Sc00t
    Date: Tue, Apr 5 2011 04:21:01

sangara wrote: Let me adjust your eyes

32. neoknux_009
    Date: Tue, Apr 5 2011 04:34:45

another underated spinner is annikis. [video=youtube;l6_5SlnODcY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6_5SlnODcY&feature=channel_video_title[/video] Very awesome well rounded spinner. nice mirror swivals. great dexteric wipers. wait for the 2p1h haitua at the end. ;]

33. gingy
    Date: Tue, Apr 5 2011 04:47:18

I agree! HAL is good But I'm more better! Kidding!

34. smudgey
    Date: Tue, Apr 5 2011 06:42:48

twps, hkpsa, psh spinners are underrated

35. Krypton
    Date: Wed, Apr 6 2011 09:36:10

A13X deserves more views subscribers for his abilities.

36. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Apr 6 2011 10:36:36

http://www.upsb.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=25123&hl=overrated I remembered this similar thread from v3

37. Argon_City
    Date: Wed, Apr 6 2011 12:29:17

This thread is a flamebait. Nate is underrated imo.

38. Froggy
    Date: Wed, Apr 6 2011 12:49:27

Serket is definitely underrated @_@.. imo.. PrinceXD

39. MickChickenn
    Date: Wed, Apr 6 2011 16:30:02

fire@fox is really underrated.

40. fang
    Date: Wed, Apr 6 2011 18:24:09

MickChickenn wrote: fire@fox is really underrated.
    why? he was in the world tournament, he showed what he got. and he got fame by his onbelieveble flush hybrids. kicked out of the tournament does't mean he is underrated!!

41. L-in
    Date: Wed, Apr 6 2011 22:19:40

Yea, Hal is not overrated, at all. Hal's style and hands motion in videos are the best in JEB. IMO, Fire@fox is very overrated, and snow (PSH) is very underrated.

42. Cloud
    Date: Thu, Apr 7 2011 01:33:44

imo acid dna is underated this http://www.upsb.info/forum/lofiversion/index.php?t21866.html true there little variety but HIS BUSTS! no one even knows him

43. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Apr 7 2011 03:36:20

I feel Awesome is underrated, I mean just look at his name, its obvious he is a narcissist and will come in saying how hes under rated. This creates the risk of someone saying no Awesome isn't that under rated he's only slightly above average and the recognition he does get is just from the fact he can spin 1p2h. Then you have a flame war in your thread. This isn't a well planned out thread now is it? Honest answer: I think pen spinners as a whole are under rated so any decent spinner is under rated in my eyes.

44. Dudak
    Date: Thu, Apr 7 2011 04:04:56

I think Baaron is a bit overrated actually, at least in UPSB

45. MickChickenn
    Date: Thu, Apr 7 2011 04:24:31

people say fire@fox sucks when they see him spin, but his combos are really hard.

46. casual
    Date: Thu, Apr 7 2011 05:52:54

Cloud wrote: imo acid dna is underated this http://www.upsb.info/forum/lofiversion/index.php?t21866.html true there little variety but HIS BUSTS! no one even knows him
    I'm sure many people know him, but nobody talks about busting robots.

47. fang
    Date: Thu, Apr 7 2011 18:01:37

when is a spinner underrated or overrated?...I mean c'mon only becausse we don't talk alot about him? it is like casual said!

casual;82226]I'm sure many people know him, but nobody talks about busting robots.[/QUOTE] I think a spinner is underrated when most people are saying he suck! so I am sure almost everyone @ the World Tournament and even the world cup 2010 is not underrated and that is something this treat is about for 99%. it is all like:
    Yea, Hal is not overrated, at all. Hal's style and hands motion in videos are the best in JEB. IMO, Fire@fox is very overrated, and snow (PSH) is very underrated.
    but C'mon, those guys are all very good, within the fact those guys are all in the World Tournament. I mean when we are talking about the fact that someone it underrated when we don't talk alot about them... does that mean eriror is also underrated, I don't think so, everyone know about him and we are expected to see awsome stuff of him! and if a spinner doesn't get the attention he deserved, maybe it is his own fauld, and should participate to more collabs.... I mean, it is called CV spinning right? besides that, spinners like Baaron aren't overrated, if you look @ his video's, I think his video's are awsome, but I think there are alot of spinners who don't love his combo, so they don't like it. That makes his video's more discussable than the video's of eriror. cuz I mean, everyone <3 eriror right?. and is depends on community, Baaron is a great spinner who is spinning here @ UPSB, of coure we talk about him that much. but If you look @ Gland or mage in Black. those guys are also very good. but I don't think they get that much attention within outher community's like JEB or BPSC, because people in other communitys does not see them spin. besides on almost all the penspinning board there are alot of good spinners where other communitys doesn't know about them. and I speak about people like: Rahven (FPSC) or Zamorix (NLPSC) or even me! (not that I put myselve as a good spinner) if I wasn't a member of UPSB, would you still know me, I don't think so! [QUOTE=MickChickenn wrote:
    people say fire@fox sucks when they see him spin, but his combos are really hard.
    never heard that!, but maybe doesn't those people how hard it is, or they don't like his way of spinning! ps. sorry about my bad english, I am not used to make this long conversation!

48. casual
    Date: Thu, Apr 7 2011 22:00:31

Agreed with fang. Maybe JEB spinners in general are "overrated" because they pump out many collabs every week and there are several channels of theirs dedicated to making solo videos of their pen spinners? Here I am trying to find a solo video of snow, and there's not a single unofficial snow solo video. If these other boards have lots of amazing spinners nobody knows about, they should try to promote them more like JEB does.

49. Hippo2626
    Date: Mon, Apr 11 2011 06:11:06

Some underrated spinners, in my opinion, is JTS, Tonnam, Gildor, ShaiiboN, ~L~, Wah and CCW

50. KisukeHollow
    Date: Thu, Apr 14 2011 18:50:39

JTS is one of the best spinners in SPSC, here is a little overrated but out of Spain is underrated, (normal if we compare the level) its a little difficult find people that speak about SPSC spinners, like Vikroal, AzuL or the newgen with System, Diego or Yorch, if i see anything about SPSC, always is for Freeman so i think Freeman is overrated, he is very good, but Spain gots very good spinners apart from him. And the Kazajistan Community is very unknown for all

51. fang
    Date: Thu, Apr 14 2011 19:05:19

@KisukeHollow The Dutch penspinning Community is also very unknown. (NLPSC)

52. KisukeHollow
    Date: Thu, Apr 14 2011 19:32:00

@fang agree with u, Nowadays in order that a community has reputation, it needs to be going to other communities to expose his collabs, for which nobody bothers to go to his webs and to know his spinners and is really sad

53. Greendrago10
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 04:12:57

casual wrote: Here I am trying to find a solo video of snow, and there's not a single unofficial snow solo video.
    honestly, are there any videos of snow's spinning other than wt11? he's become one of my favorite spinners but there's not much to see from him..haha

54. Sc00t
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 06:36:37

fang wrote: @KisukeHollow The Dutch penspinning Community is also very unknown. (NLPSC)
    i went there just now. watched some battlezone vids and i've determined it's mainly new spinners :) any veteran spinners from there?

55. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 09:17:32

Zamorix is pretty okay, and me. We two are probably the best Dutch spinners. We used to have Michael and Patte, but they stopped a long time ago to pursue dancing.

56. crinix
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 10:33:05

snow and fire@fox are not underrated at all. I believe ocha was underrated before the WT11(kinda so even now). and yes Minwoo is very overrated. ps: I dont remember I posted to this thread or not before, if i did excuse me.

57. neoknux_009
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 12:11:19

o_O how the hell is minwoo overated? barely anyone even mentions him anymore. its not his fault he made it to 2nd place in world tournament.

58. fang
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 12:37:48

Erirornal Kraione wrote: Zamorix is pretty okay, and me. We two are probably the best Dutch spinners. We used to have Michael and Patte, but they stopped a long time ago to pursue dancing.
    and thank you!<_<

59. crinix
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 13:58:48

neoknux_009 wrote: o_O how the hell is minwoo overated? barely anyone even mentions him anymore. its not his fault he made it to 2nd place in world tournament.
    Recently, he is not mentioned yes; but he was a lot! And his 2nd place is bullshit!

60. neoknux_009
    Date: Sat, Apr 16 2011 14:14:01

his 2nd place?? eh?? Its not like he bribed the judges to get to 2nd place. He just happened to get to 2nd place, and was a little lucky with the placings. he just spun his best. he may not be an ulimate spinner technically, but you have to admit his combos are spectacular (especially at the time). defintely some of the earlier 09 rounds were sloppy, but still brilliant in its own right.

61. crinix
    Date: Sun, Apr 17 2011 00:09:50

no i did not say so lol. the judges were hidden as i know. i never said he is bad, too. it's just; there were many psers who are better than him wt WT09 and he doesnt deserve that position. anyway that's pointless to discuss. WT11 is about to come an end^^

62. blahblahting
    Date: Fri, Apr 22 2011 06:51:10

theres a lot of talk about HAL (not) being overrated...here's my take: he's not overrated, but he definitely got further than i think he should have in the WT because of judge bias. as for baaron, he's very well known, but i wouldn't say he's overrated either. if you carefully look at his linkages, they are very difficult, complex, and respectable. no unreasonable fanboyism there i can't say much about underrated spinners, because i dont watch too many ps vids :/

63. Hippo2626
    Date: Sat, Apr 23 2011 02:04:38

WT shouldn't be used as a gauge to determine underrated or overrated spinners

64. drgripable
    Date: Sat, Apr 23 2011 02:31:05

@Hippo2626 , honestly, you're underrated