UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / Diamond Cut tutorial

1. Colin
    Date: Thu, Mar 31 2011 23:33:01

Ive recieved numerous requests on how to do this, so I thought I would make one. Please bear with me, this is not a professional tutorial, but more of a 'You'll get ideas from watching this video' kind- of thing. First off, Id like to apologize for the big black thing. I was recording with my iPod Touch and had no stand..so I used my old computer case. Second, this is my method of doing it. No one has taught me how to do this, this is my personal method. If there are other ways of doing this, so be it. Materials needed are:

[*]Xacto blade [*]Wire cutter [*]lotsofmotherfucking Patience [*]Cap that has a clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTvvrvtwLFE Feel free to leave any questions or comments! Negative comments are welcome ^_^

2. KTrinh93
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 00:26:26

I've never heard your voice until this this. Smexy voice ^^

3. PenwisH
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 00:45:58

The only really thing you need is a dremel and you're done

4. Nachoaddict
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 00:47:41

Damn this is such a smart technique. I tried sanding the sides down with a file ><

5. Colin
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 00:52:18

PenwisH wrote: The only really thing you need is a dremel and you're done
    Dremels are too expensive :c Plus, I like this because you dont necessarily have to use expensive parts. Pretty much everyone has a spare G3 grip, wire cutters and xacto's.

6. PenwisH
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 00:54:19

20$ for a tool that you can use forever and not just for PS is not expensive. it makes cuts, slices barrels, sands.

7. XYZaki
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 01:06:25

Colin wrote: Pretty much everyone has a spare G3 grip, wire cutters and xacto's.
    Pretty much everyone has nail clippers. I use nail clippers to make diamond cuts all the time, it works fine ._. I don't understand the need for this whole process.

8. sangara
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 01:12:31

Yeah nail clippers do the job great, plus it's not jagged at all.

9. iBlameLag
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 01:45:38

Few questions: Why did you cut out the 4 squares in the G3 grip? Can I replace the G3 grip with something like an HGG grip? Is the Diamond Cut merely for looks? Will you please make a tape cut tutorial? ^^ Good job, I just wanted to clear some questions up. =D

10. Colin
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 01:53:39

Spartan wrote: Few questions: Why did you cut out the 4 squares in the G3 grip? Can I replace the G3 grip with something like an HGG grip? Is the Diamond Cut merely for looks? Will you please make a tape cut tutorial? ^^ Good job, I just wanted to clear some questions up. =D
    1)So it slides under the clip. This way, I can cover a larger amount of surface area, and minimize the chance of fucking up the cap 2)I wouldnt do that. The reason I used a G3 grip is because its near-worthless. RSVP grips and no-name grips work perfectly fine. 3)No sir, it affects the pen mod by 0.002 grams, thus affecting the COG. It also makes you feel like a boss cause of your pro-modding skillz. 4)If I get enough requests, sure. Ive gotten 15+ requests for this tutorial. Ill keep in mind for a tape cut.

11. iMove
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 01:57:14

use nail cutters or clippers...

12. iBlameLag
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 01:58:45

@Colin Thanks! Hope the tutorial comes out soon. =P

13. Quake
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 02:22:14

Thanks so much :D

14. browndog12
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 03:56:32

what i do is use clippers to get the shape, then use a rasp to smooth out the edges and the point.

15. Cloud
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 04:15:33

Colin wrote: 3)No sir, it affects the pen mod by 0.002 grams, thus affecting the COG. It also makes you feel like a boss cause of your pro-modding skillz.
    ohhh... so thats why my mx was unbalanced wow... that was good. never thought of using a grip to protect the cap... :facepalm:

16. Nachoaddict
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 04:26:10

Didn't he say it in the tutorial? o_O

17. Rapid
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 05:33:23

1) grip cut tut plox? :) 2) I use nail clippers. just saying

18. Colin
    Date: Fri, Apr 1 2011 05:42:14

Grip cuts and Vinyl cuts are pretty much the same. Follow NEPTUNE's tutorial. He cuts grips WAY better than me, and has extremely helpful tips.

19. vento
    Date: Thu, Apr 14 2011 19:35:01

Great tutorial! But why not just using some tape under the clip to "catch" the knive? :S

20. chris
    Date: Thu, Apr 14 2011 22:53:54

Tapes get cut easily, especially if you use x-actos

21. Colin
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 23:54:32

vento wrote: Great tutorial! But why not just using some tape under the clip to "catch" the knive? :S
    Tape is too much of a hassle, you have to measure, then cut..then unwrap it around the pen..too much for me. G3 grips are used in <10 mods, and preactically worthless. Make good use of it :)

22. Colin
    Date: Sun, May 29 2011 19:29:21

bump, just cuase

23. tacohead12
    Date: Tue, Jun 28 2011 19:22:09

I was about to do this but PW said you can use a dremel :P Fortunately I have one. Good tut anyway.

24. Cloud
    Date: Wed, Jun 29 2011 00:26:35

@tacohead12 id highly recommend using this method. a lot cleaner and IMO easier. it takes a little more time, but the end result is real nice. penwish doesnt usually make diamond cuts, and when he does, it isnt a great one because he has a lot of pens to make.

25. tacohead12
    Date: Wed, Jun 29 2011 00:34:09

Well I was gonna do both cuz I have like 20 rsvp's right here and was gonna just experiment to see what's best for me.

26. Colin
    Date: Wed, Aug 10 2011 05:11:17

Im gonna do a community bump. Lots of people seem to be incredibly amazed by Nacho's cuts, but dont know how to. Well, here's how.

27. Vaan
    Date: Wed, Aug 10 2011 07:05:08

sanding after using the xacto knife would be better.

28. Nachoaddict
    Date: Wed, Aug 10 2011 16:42:30

Sanding doesn't make it look clean at side angles.

29. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Wed, Aug 10 2011 17:09:02

i use nail clipper and it's perfectly fine without x-acto knife to smoothen out the edges. wow i never heard of colin voice. but it sounds a bit like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1KMKODBDzw that guy voice is gay-er.... i think.

30. Colin
    Date: Fri, Aug 12 2011 17:48:32

GeeGeeGee wrote: i use nail clipper and it's perfectly fine without x-acto knife to smoothen out the edges. wow i never heard of colin voice. but it sounds a bit like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1KMKODBDzw that guy voice is gay-er.... i think.
    ARE YOU COMPARING ME TO FUCKING ARIES?! FUCKING FAGGOT the whole point of using an xacto knife is to make it SMOOTH. Shit, if you could just use a nailclipper and say OH, IM DONE. THEN EVERYONE WOULD HAVE A FUCKING 'DIAMOND' CUT, WOULDNT THEY? And if you wanna use a nailclipper..be my guest.

31. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Fri, Aug 12 2011 18:09:55

are you always like this? do you have period? like mood swing and bipolar shit. don't get too excited ok? or you gonna have orgasm. i'm just saying i use nail clipper and it works fine. you don't have to go crazy for this. this is just my opinion if you don't like then delect it i don't really care.

32. Cloud
    Date: Fri, Aug 12 2011 18:27:22

if you've ever made a diamond cut with an x acto before, a nail clipper does not work fine in comparison. x acto cuts are clean as hell. it looks nice, its smooth. nail clipper cuts arent as smooth, and its harder to shape. of course you can do whatever you want, but he's pissed that you have to post about using a nail clipper, when he made a tut on a better way to do it. if you want, you can use a nail clipper all you want.

33. Colin
    Date: Sat, Sep 17 2011 19:14:01

GeeGeeGee wrote: are you always like this? do you have period? like mood swing and bipolar shit. don't get too excited ok? or you gonna have orgasm. i'm just saying i use nail clipper and it works fine. you don't have to go crazy for this. this is just my opinion if you don't like then delect it i don't really care.
    Didnt see this there. Yes, Im always like this. Nope, no period. All penis up in here. Okay, I promise I wont get too excited. What's delect mean? sounds like delectable .__. Im just saying this tutorial defeats the purpose of a nail clipper

34. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Sat, Sep 17 2011 19:22:23

Colin wrote: Didnt see this there. Yes, Im always like this. Nope, no period. All penis up in here. Okay, I promise I wont get too excited. What's delect mean? sounds like delectable .__. Im just saying this tutorial defeats the purpose of a nail clipper
    this is like a long time ago. DELETE the post!! :D *start a penis game* HAP PENIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! jk

35. gyrobius
    Date: Sun, Sep 18 2011 05:10:20

I plan to use this in the near future.