UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / Question: Pen modding history?

1. daniel0731ex
    Date: Thu, Mar 24 2011 03:19:59

So apparently the very first pen mod in the history of penspinning is the RSVP MX created by Kam, right? Now that made me wonder, what does people use to spin before that? Do people just go find a pen and, by luck, happens to be balanced/heavy? Then perhaps this is the reason why we still consider the center of gravity of pen, when almost all of the common mods have COG at COP? If so, does it mean that in the "old days", people actually consider the orientation of the pen throughout a combo when planning a performance? Then did these techniques became a lost art, because nowadays people just try to change the pen itself when one find it unbalanced? These questions really made me think, but did not find my answers while searching the forum...

2. Olji
    Date: Thu, Mar 24 2011 06:46:44

what I know RSVP V1 was created before RSVP MX, so MX isnt the first mod, [QUOTE=UPSB Wiki]The RSVP MX is fourth in line after the Momentum MX prototype.[/QUOTE] and i think people just put a cap on the other side to make it easier for them, pretty much what i did at first, but some probably used a normal pen/pencil

3. Wisp
    Date: Thu, Mar 24 2011 08:24:26

Dont take this as racist but I used to think people spun their chopsticks at a meal time and then it developed from that. :trollface:

4. Fire Ant
    Date: Thu, Mar 24 2011 09:37:51

Pencil

5. iMatt
    Date: Thu, Mar 24 2011 17:25:36

In terms of first thing ever spun, it could've been anything from a dowel, a knife, batons, pipes, etc. The first "Mod" as we define it now currently was a double sided pencil. (taking a pencil and putting an eraser on each side). Then it would be the RSVP stock pen being recognized as the standard spinning pen. Followed shortly by the V2 and the MX. The Dong-a sign pens in korea came shortly after emerging as the comssa mod.

6. daniel0731ex
    Date: Fri, Mar 25 2011 02:37:04

iMatt wrote: In terms of first thing ever spun, it could've been anything from a dowel, a knife, batons, pipes, etc. The first "Mod" as we define it now currently was a double sided pencil. (taking a pencil and putting an eraser on each side). Then it would be the RSVP stock pen being recognized as the standard spinning pen. Followed shortly by the V2 and the MX. The Dong-a sign pens in korea came shortly after emerging as the comssa mod.
    cool.... So does people spin exclusively with pencils then? Or there are other pens that are used?