UPSB v4

Presentation / Combo Ending

1. walrus
    Date: Tue, Mar 22 2011 20:56:53

I don't mean a combo finisher... I noticed that at the end of a combo, many people do a peace sign and shake it up and down as if though they were overly exited about actually making the combo without dropping the pen. It kind of bothers me. Don't act like you did something amazing and your having some excitement-emotional explosion. For example, at the end of many combos by Key3 or kUzu, they just click their mouse to end the recording and act like nothing really special happened. Even though they made an amazing combo with crazy linkages and style. [B]This is all my opinion [of course][/B]; just sharing some thougts/tips -_-

2. hoiboy
    Date: Tue, Mar 22 2011 21:06:39

IMO, using finshing signs has become more of a habit than anything. Anyways, that above post is wrong in so many ways. Just because you don't think a combo is amazing doesn't mean that the spinner thinks it's amazing. Many combos that spinners showcase out there are the results of hours of hard work manifested in practicing and filming. They have a right to be excited about finally having a result that the whole world can see. Who are you to say that one shouldn't be celebrating because one's combo isn't good? Your opinion is not the final word. I'm sure you were excited about reaching 301x spreads, and you even made those same gestures that you condoned in the previous post. However, I just view it as a another attempt at achieving popularity through setting obscure world records. On a side note, your use of italics is totally messed up.

Jan;77382] Don't act like you did something amazing and your having some excitement-emotional explosion.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Jan;77382] [B]This is all my opinion [of course][/B][/QUOTE][QUOTE=Jan wrote: just sharing some thougts/tips -_-
    I don't know, but something doesn't sound right here...

3. miyat
    Date: Tue, Mar 22 2011 21:40:52

People can do what they want. :/ Just cause you see some pros doing no signs at the end doesn't mean everyone should do that... I've seen a lot of awesome spinners make fun gestures. It's an easy and fast way to express your self after you've achieved a combo/fs.

4. casual
    Date: Tue, Mar 22 2011 22:01:37

I agree that what you do at the ending really changes the overall tone of the combo, whether you like it or not. :P I remember when I watched Nachoaddict's video about the buster 9000 (or whatever) and talked about the peace sign, I actually felt there was a grain of truth in his statement. xD

5. i.suk
    Date: Wed, Mar 23 2011 08:40:48

peem's finishing hand wave+peace sign shows little excitement to me :P also random fits of hysteria/excitement are alright as long as it's not for something like WT for example, imo.

6. chris
    Date: Wed, Mar 23 2011 09:18:50

well, I know that hoiboy stated this already, but I'll just put it in kinda-rage language: "Wouldn't you be fucking happy if you finished an intricately planned combo and nailed it after failing for 9000 times?" Also, the reaction of the spinner to his/her combos affects the "totality" of the combo. Like say, if this was all we all do, there wouldn't be that much fun in fun collabs. And ummm...it is a sign of success? Referring to 1st statement as well. (I know, I'm just horrible at defending points) And to miyat, +9001 it's like taking a fast paced combo and abruptly end it with a gloomy "disposition" (don't know the correct word)

7. Krypton
    Date: Wed, Mar 23 2011 10:04:39

Peem curl his fingers in :D On topic, after combos, spinners doing a peace sign or whatever gestures must mean they are excited or happy after completing the combo successfully. But the effects towards non-spinner audiences are profound as well, I remember first watching Twine's 2 year solo and his second combo he completed it with curling his fingers. It gives the impression of much training of the fingers to achieve such flexibility and versatility and after performing the combo with the pen the fingers are stretching and flexing. Sorry I was not understandable; it's quite difficult to describe. Twine is awesome :)

8. Hippo2626
    Date: Fri, Mar 25 2011 02:44:07

I'm sure your not gonna' bash on a 7 year old kid when he gets excited over successfully growing beans in tissue paper. His achievement though small is big to him, hence his enthusiasm is warranted. If spinners get excited at the end of their combo, they can. I'm pretty sure if I look through all the laws in every country, non will contain this statement: "Spinners who show excitement over an otherwise low level combo is punishable by death." Personally I don't like doing any signs after a combo unless it really helps in some way but I don't condemn those who do it.

9. Twine
    Date: Fri, Mar 25 2011 09:10:09

Hehe thank you krypton xD Jan, Jan, Jan.... I swear you are getting increasingly arrogant. I do it at the end of almost all my combos for 2 reasons. 1. Habit :p 2. Satisfaction and excitement of finally nailing a combo

10. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Fri, Mar 25 2011 11:02:58

For me, it's showing that I actually derive pleasure out of penspinning instead of letting people think it's a chore to film. Also, I love showing I'm happy when I film a combo. Like in WT09 R3. :D

11. Escorpio123
    Date: Fri, Mar 25 2011 16:44:27

@Erirornal Kraione Here to be specific and exact <_<. 0:27 [video=youtube;nyyob5KcN3o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyyob5KcN3o[/video]

12. spinnerhui
    Date: Sat, Mar 26 2011 02:43:42

1st of all, I think jan was refering to spinners getting overlyy excited. Eriror's sign just looked cool. and I think that Jan meant that sometimes a peace sign can damage a combo's overall effectiveness. I always loved how Vic caught his TA's after nailing some insane PW trick links, and he didn't use peace signs Perhaps Jan's question, (and certainly mine) could be rephrased as this: can a hand gesture or a peace sign damage a combo's overall effectiveness? If so, what types...??? I'm not insulting hand gestures after a combo...I actually like them...I'm just so happy that I got a combo without dropping that I forget to do them...=P

13. Escorpio123
    Date: Sat, Mar 26 2011 06:36:12

spinnerhui wrote: [B]sometimes a peace sign can damage a combo's overall effectiveness.[/B] I always loved how Vic caught his TA's after nailing some insane PW trick links, and [B]he didn't use peace signs[/B]
    0:22 kind like not excited but he did it lol. [video=youtube;oV6GOpIWkHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV6GOpIWkHc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video] Also, it is time for me to answer this thread. I think some people actually exagerate, but still, Peace Signs are fine, and any other gesture is fine even if they exagerate though, It's spinners' right to celebrate after they made a combo that they have been working on. Also, there are no rules against it, like a website where it says "DO NOT DO....". This is just one guy's opinion and maybe a few others, but Jan is the only one that just shared it when he actually did this too lol ;). An example of exagerating a celebration is the following: [video=youtube;cbED7s6cWe8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbED7s6cWe8[/video] Maybe because it was in about 5-7 minutes and it was a desperated freestyle :facepalm: But still, don't sue me <_<.

14. Rapid
    Date: Sun, Mar 27 2011 03:56:17

Like nachoaddict says...if your peace signs sucks,your video automatically SUCKS!!

15. gyrobius
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 22:31:24

I stop the camera at the end of a combo. platter.

16. Sc00t
    Date: Mon, Apr 4 2011 23:26:03

i always do a peace sign... if a vid ends right at the last trick it kinda catches me by surprise like oop i didnt expect that... and there's not enough sense of finality you know? i try to do it 'assertively' though so that it stands out and lets people know im done. not just a peace sign but a peace sign with some just in it, you know?

17. RicLu98
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 00:20:39

it's kinda like if you would bow after you perform iguess. maybe. just makin a connection XD

18. drgripable
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 22:33:08

OK is it better to like do busts and then just stop, or does adding a TA at the end somehow contribute at all to the ending?

19. aiman0802
    Date: Fri, Jul 15 2011 11:38:52

depends. usually multiple bust and backfall

20. blahblahting
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 06:48:33

i usually do a thumbs up or a peace sign, but if i'm ending with TA or multiple FL TA, i pretty much catch the pen in a thumbs up kinda gesture so i usually dont do another gesture after that

21. Raos
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 16:46:26

blahblahting wrote: i usually do a thumbs up or a peace sign, but if i'm ending with TA or multiple FL TA, i pretty much catch the pen in a thumbs up kinda gesture so i usually dont do another gesture after that
    i prefer peace sign

22. Breezy
    Date: Sun, Jul 17 2011 18:24:27

Exactly Jan, some of these people do peace signs like there "Kool". Your spinning a pen for Christ sake not changing the world.

23. MickChickenn
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 02:32:13

To me, VGG has the perfect signs. Hes humble about it. He busts out an amazing combo, then either does nothing or very close to nothing. It gives the impression that he busts out those combos on a regular baisis. Other than that, Peem has cool signs. Signs that show flexibility are cool.

24. Lettuce
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 04:51:21

Breezy wrote: Exactly Jan, some of these people do peace signs like there "Kool". Your spinning a pen for Christ sake not changing the world.
    Well then it's a god damn good thing they AREN'T trying to change the world isn't it.

25. Elune
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 05:37:07

I often "wave" my index and middle finger when I finish a combo xD

26. DmodD
    Date: Mon, Jul 18 2011 10:12:58

seriously? so you say peem wt 10 final round combo is suck because his peace sign is not speacial LOL

Rapid wrote: Like nachoaddict says...if your peace signs sucks,your video automatically SUCKS!!

27. MUSIIX
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 10:15:26

DmodD wrote: seriously? so you say peem wt 10 final round combo is suck because his peace sign is not speacial LOL
    He didn't mean it literally, it's just that when the end of your combo is awesome, people just instantly like it. I dunno. Just don't take it too seriously. Plus, peem's combo was good with or without a peace sign.

28. Awesome
    Date: Sat, Jul 23 2011 18:46:12

Without a sign at the end it makes it look like the combo was easier for you, so it helps give into an illusion of being better then you are. Its like you got it first try or something. Where as a sign shows excitement, that you landing the combo was something special.

29. erik123098
    Date: Mon, Jul 25 2011 09:32:49

When I do combo that is hard or I finished it by chance, I usually not do a peace sign. But when it's just a regular FS, I do a peace sign. LOL.

30. browndog12
    Date: Tue, Jul 26 2011 07:13:15

all my fs's are either terrible or inconsistent. so when i land a good fs i freak out and have a little upper body seizure. it makes me look really bad. :P

31. gyrobius
    Date: Sun, Sep 4 2011 20:20:57

When I do a hard combo, I jerk off.

32. FusionX
    Date: Mon, Sep 5 2011 02:00:07

gyrobius wrote: When I do a hard combo, I jerk off.
    Now that's just fantastic.