UPSB v4

General Discussion / Making Combos

1. hahakumquat
    Date: Sun, Jun 27 2010 19:54:47

K so...making combos. How do you guys do it? Rather than give short minicombos to perform, I thought it would be more beneficial to help beginners find ways to UNLOCK A WHOLE NEW WORLD OF CREATIVITY FROM THE INSIDE. Anyways, when I make combos, I like to create a simple beginning, middle, and end trick. Then I jam stuff in between. What do you guys do? Make as you go? Plan it out? You get the idea :P

2. asdfcrow
    Date: Sun, Jun 27 2010 20:02:23

i just do w/e occasionally I'll see a linkage I like and I'll start putting in my combos.

3. Resonance
    Date: Sun, Jun 27 2010 20:12:16

When I'm working on a combo for a collab or something I'll usually find a few mini-combos I'd like to incorporate in it, and kind of freestyle the rest some combos might be completely planned of course... For beginners, I suggest first of all trying to learn as much "useful" tricks as possible (what I mean is, don't spend weeks trying to learn Hai Tua if you can't even get a solid devil's sonic) and then try exploring mainly- watch combos, find mini-combos that look nice, and try them out. together with that you'll probably start thinking of your own linkage, and both will eventually lead to creating combos. hope I've been helpful~

4. Archermitch
    Date: Sun, Jun 27 2010 22:19:51

There are certain tricks or mini combos that I consider "eye-pleasers," like twisted cobra bites or a dragon around. Once I learn these, I try to fit them in somewhere. Additionally, I usually have a few minicombos that I've seen in a collab. Other times, I simply play a game of tack on with myself.

5. Koksi
    Date: Sun, Jun 27 2010 22:23:19

I build a lot of little combo´s, these are only little parts. Now i got enough to combine these over and over again. After i combine these every time in a different way I think about : what power tricks could I include after that my combo is finished^^

6. crinix
    Date: Sat, Jul 3 2010 00:38:22

Just before sleep, doing some fs combos that i call my routine combos. After that, it just happens, I got a new combo and sleep happy ^^

7. Dan
    Date: Mon, Jul 5 2010 17:26:08

I make "highlights" for my combos, such as creative links or power tricks, (this includes baks and so on) and connect them with Korean-style mini combos.

8. miyat
    Date: Mon, Jul 5 2010 18:45:35

Find some easy combos to try and copy or at least copy parts. Then find some spinners that you really enjoy. Then try copying combos of the spinners or just look at certain parts of the combo. You can download them and look at them in slow motion to easier understand them. Once you have started doing this you will find what mini combos spinners use often etc. Yeah experiment and try do creative hybrids. Mini combos are also a good way to improve fsing. Fsing lots also will help you be able to link, make combos, etc easier. Also most great combos end with a finisher which is usually a difficult trick or power trick. That's what i do. I dunno people learn different ways. Watch lots of videos and make sure to learn all the common useful tricks. Hope that helps.

9. AwonW
    Date: Mon, Jul 5 2010 21:40:04

I do what everyone else in this thread seems to be doing, I find cool minicombos and fs around them. If you have pretty solid linkages it should be pretty simple.

10. Milk
    Date: Tue, Jul 6 2010 05:04:09

And breaking down some of you favorite spinner's combos and finding linkages they use and incorporating them into your spinning should help if you want a style/combos like theirs.

11. Hippo2626
    Date: Tue, Jul 6 2010 12:38:19

When I wanna' make a solid normal combo, I'll have my combo/trick book beside me. I'll do one starting trick (can be anything really) and from where the pen lands. I'll think for a next trick and so on until the end keeping the combo structure in mind, doing something I haven't done before. It would take awhile to get a combo down because the linkages are all rather new. There are other problems with it as well cause sometimes when you do a particular trick slightly wrong and the pen ends somewhere in a slightly different location and the entire combo is gone. What I do to overcome this is to constantly review the combo to see if theres any mistakes. This would also help you get the combo down faster.

12. davidguy
    Date: Thu, Jul 8 2010 02:03:51

I honestly don't get how people plan combos, I just freestyle since it's easier :3

13. RdHg
    Date: Wed, Jul 21 2010 22:28:38

I get ideas from watching my favorite spinners spin in slow-mo.

14. Darealone
    Date: Sat, Jul 24 2010 23:03:05

I, for some reason have an EXTREMLY hard time making combos. Is my lack of creativity or tricks?

15. pipp
    Date: Sun, Aug 15 2010 18:13:58

I am just stuck in my minicombos. I often watch collabs and think "oh i can do all of that tricks, too" but in fact I can't link them the way others do. But my minicombos are changing each week or two weeks but I don't really notice that and I am always wondering which minicombos I did before :/

16. blahblahting
    Date: Sun, Aug 15 2010 20:35:48

darealone put a list of tricks you can do in a spoiler (make sure to include inverses andreverses) and i'll see ;) EDIT: oh and include hybrids too.

17. Jamal
    Date: Sun, Aug 15 2010 21:55:00

davidguy wrote: I honestly don't get how people plan combos, I just freestyle since it's easier :3
    Freestyling doesnt come out as smooth because you have to quickly improvise instead of planning a combo that you know will be nice and smooth and look difficult

18. thig
    Date: Fri, Aug 27 2010 21:52:29

Serialism is something you can try.

19. Darealone
    Date: Sat, Aug 28 2010 04:19:02

blahblahting wrote: darealone put a list of tricks you can do in a spoiler (make sure to include inverses andreverses) and i'll see ;) EDIT: oh and include hybrids too.
    [SPOILER="Here u go BLAH"]Fingerpass Charge Sonic(rev) Twisted Sonic Inverse Sonic TA(rev) FL TA(x2 and rev) Twisted sonic bust(x2) Indexaround Shadow Shadow moonwalk Devils around Devils shadow Demon Sonic TF charge rev Bak(no...i cant bakfall, stupid ring finger) midbak neobak swivel twisted cobra bite palm spin TA release Bak riser infinity figure 8 wiper(rev) triangle pass Palmspin to fl. ta[/SPOILER] Hopefully I've got everything...and its not much but yea...

20. -ACE-
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 20:03:54

I look at some good linkages and put some tricks in that i know

21. Sc00t
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 20:12:10

i like my freestyles they usually turn out better than my thought-out combos lol

22. RicLu98
    Date: Thu, Mar 31 2011 05:00:15

break down other peoples combos and use some of their linkages

23. Riley
    Date: Sat, Apr 9 2011 05:59:53

I plan a basic combo, with linkages you want to incorporate, and a few highlights here and there. I try to have a intriguing beginning to wake people up. (usually it doesn't work) I go like meals of the day: Start off with breakfast, and show a little of what you can do. Then lunch, nothing too special... And next, dinner, getting to the good meat, have a climaxing ending to dessert, where you go all out and eat all you want and become fat which = powertrickz@@!1! I just made that up, but it kinda makes sense.