UPSB v4

Manipulative Arts / Playing Guitar

1. authenticatethepunk
    Date: Mon, Mar 21 2011 23:37:36

I think the most key issue for me in getting the right feel of pen spinning is getting to know the muscle memory. So I figure any other hand related practices would facilitate in the dexterity of moving fingers. My question is, do any of you play guitar, and if so, does it help with pen spinning?

2. chris
    Date: Tue, Mar 22 2011 00:00:04

Playing the guitar, in my opinion, kinda does help with pen spinning, in terms of complex linkages, however this is only limited, since you don't really put emphasis on complex tabbings and stuff. :s (idk really how to answer this :?) Vice versa however, I think Pen Spinning is a great help to playing the guitar, since your fingers are already used to "weird" finger movements (especially if you spin like fire@fox, fratleym, s777, freeman), your fingers will not cramp up as much as when you really start playing guitar without pen spinning. That's just me, though. PS I play guitar as well ^^.

3. Raos
    Date: Tue, Mar 22 2011 00:07:48

chrisPS wrote: Playing the guitar, in my opinion, kinda does help with pen spinning, in terms of complex linkages, however this is only limited, since you don't really put emphasis on complex tabbings and stuff. :s (idk really how to answer this :?) Vice versa however, I think Pen Spinning is a great help to playing the guitar, since your fingers are already used to "weird" finger movements (especially if you spin like fire@fox, fratleym, s777, freeman), your fingers will not cramp up as much as when you really start playing guitar without pen spinning. That's just me, though. PS I play guitar as well ^^.
    indeed. i played guitar b4 for 1 year and it helps. Any instrument that is in percussion and strings can help IMO because you have to combine fingers in differnet places for cords, but some woodwinds can help too, not much brass though because it is more about breathing then fingers. P.S YOu should work on your pinky and ring fingers becuase they are hard to get flexible. I played guitar, violin, viola, cello, piano, sax, flute, clarinet, before so I know.

4. hens
    Date: Tue, Mar 22 2011 00:31:34

playing guitar does help but if you're looking for dexterity help honestly nothing is quite as good as the piano (instrument wise) because it forces so much finger independence along with stretches and finger strength; guitar really doesn't have as much of it as a side note: look into greg irwin's hand dexterity exercises ._.

5. authenticatethepunk
    Date: Tue, Mar 22 2011 01:01:05

hens wrote: playing guitar does help but if you're looking for dexterity help honestly nothing is quite as good as the piano (instrument wise) because it forces so much finger independence along with stretches and finger strength; guitar really doesn't have as much of it as a side note: look into greg irwin's hand dexterity exercises ._.
    This is very interesting, thanks for the responses.

6. Awesome
    Date: Tue, Mar 22 2011 01:12:36

muscle memory is pretty much task independent, at least from what I found. PS helped me use my pinky easier with guitar but I couldn't really say it has helped that much. Guitar is kickass though,

7. sangara
    Date: Tue, Mar 22 2011 01:27:09

hens wrote: playing guitar does help but if you're looking for dexterity help honestly nothing is quite as good as the piano (instrument wise) because it forces so much finger independence along with stretches and finger strength; guitar really doesn't have as much of it as a side note: look into greg irwin's hand dexterity exercises ._.
    You've obviously never tried Travis Picking. Anyway I'm not really sure guitar helps, or even piano for that matter. These are two completely different activities, I played guitar for a while before I started penspinning, I don't feel that as I got better in either activity that either one improved the other.

8. neongalaxy55
    Date: Mon, May 30 2011 12:37:49

i am a classical guitar major at the university of texas at austin. yes, they do help each other, they both raise hand dexterity and allow for better results. i personally use pen spinning to improve my playing as opposed to the other way around though. i do agree though, that you should look into greg irwin exercises. those will no doubt help in improving anything hand related. hope this helps!!!! i would love to answer any other guitar questions any of you might have. metal or classical =]

9. neongalaxy55
    Date: Mon, May 30 2011 12:49:20

unless you are comparing piano to electric guitar, i must disagree with you. i play Organ and classical guitar at my university. many instruments, especially classical guitar are even more demanding of the fingers than the piano. ever wonder why piano is a requirement for all music majors? its simple, its easy, and anyone can play it. ha ha =]

10. neongalaxy55
    Date: Mon, May 30 2011 12:50:18

unless you are comparing piano to electric guitar, i must disagree with you. i play Organ and classical guitar at my university. many instruments, especially classical guitar are even more demanding of the fingers than the piano. ever wonder why piano is a requirement for all music majors? its simple, its easy, and anyone can play it. ha ha =]

11. Dekin
    Date: Tue, May 31 2011 15:59:19

I’ve been playing Electric Guitar and Bass guitar for 6 years. Pen spinning was not any easier. However I think it has a lot to do with the fact I spin with my right hand and chord the guitar with my left. Maybe I should start spinning more with my left hand and see. The reason I started pen spinning was the fact my hand writing is horrible, and I am an office manager. When I first started this job a few years ago my boss complained all the time that he couldnt read my notes or paper work. Hands down my hand writing has improved dramaticly. Is that pen spining or just the fact I write so much I've gotten better at it? I think its PS.

12. MickChickenn
    Date: Tue, May 31 2011 17:48:25

Ive been playing guitar for about 2 years now. I dont think either helps with either. They are both fun, but neither helps each other.

13. spinner_sozkupe
    Date: Sun, Jun 26 2011 09:19:25

i like guitar

14. GigaByte
    Date: Mon, Jun 27 2011 11:55:13

i cant play guitar TT ..

15. fang
    Date: Sun, Oct 2 2011 10:43:12

I play the guitar now for 7-8 years, and I think it doesn't helped me with penspinning!~

16. Xienix
    Date: Sun, Oct 2 2011 17:15:59

i play guitar since 3 or 5 days ago and it doesn't help ^^