UPSB v4

Board Comments / Moderator Recall

1. hoiboy
    Date: Fri, Mar 18 2011 22:50:13

[B]This is in no way a criticism of UPSB's moderating staff.[/B]
    As we all know, moderators are not perfect. They do occasionally make mistakes, and after witnessing a "moderator war" on another forum, I would like to discuss the possibility of implementing a system of recalling moderators and/or admins. If you feel butthurt by the above comments, please read the bold red centered thing at the top of the thread. Moderators are chosen for their maturity and their contributions to the board. However, sometimes, moderators may not perform their job correctly. For example, in the anonymous forum that I mentioned above, two moderators had very differing views on moderating. One was viewed as overly stringent, and as a result, a good chunk of the forum constituents demanded a recall. Another moderator supported the recall movement, and a flame war ensued. Both admins quit, 3 moderators resigned, and two moderators were banned as the board started taking sides. However, that is beside the point. The point is that if the community determines that a moderator is abusing their powers or is unfit for moderation, a referendum should be taken of the board to see if that particular moderator be stripped of his/her powers. To my knowledge, nothing of that sort has ever happened on this board, but I believe such a system would help improve the community's feedback of the moderating staff. I do understand that the moderating job is not easy. Lots of decisions are made in the heat of the moment that can have disastrous consequences. However, if a moderator is showing consistently poor judgment in the eyes of the community, that moderator should be stripped. I would like to hear your thoughts on the idea that a community should be able to recall their own moderators.

2. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Mar 18 2011 23:00:41

thats why we gotta make sure the people coming in are good enough, this is what the "preemptive referendum" is for. (beta-mod evaluation) afterwards, well the main issue is that mods become inactive, never heard of mods being too active. if they become inactive, we put them in "retired mods" and thats it.

3. spinnerhui
    Date: Sat, Mar 19 2011 01:21:52

you make this sound as if it's like a government...scary. but it is an interesting concept, and what Zombo said is also valid...but we don't have that many mods on UPSB to begin with, we don't have enough mods for 3 to retire, 2 to get banned, 2 admins to quit, and still enough mods to ban others and take sides... we just have so few mods that it isn't that much of an issue the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Strat, Zombo, and Shoeman. Turbulent Turtle is retired, Kam and David Weis are pretty much inactive... EDIT: Forgot JC and Eso, didn't know Eriror was a mod, and never saw that many PW posts to see that he was the "Moderator of Moderators" btw, PW's title makes your arguement redundant =P

4. iMatt
    Date: Sat, Mar 19 2011 18:42:27

No love for iMatt anymore. Sadface. But really, as it stands I'm a little hesitant to give power to the average forum members. It's a good idea on paper, but on the internet it cause some serious havoc. Imagine if 4chan rallied then just kept creating users to vote onto a certain issue. It would kill the forum. However coming from the average viewer of the board I understand that negative actions feel like we're picking on a particular few people once in awhile. (Which is where most of the tension/disagreements come from in the first place.) In reality it's not true in the least. If they didn't do something wrong we would have no need to take any sort of action--heck it's actually more work for us to ban somebody lol. Those who come out and say, "So and so are abusing their powers." are usually the ones who just hating because they got called out for doing something wrong on the internet. Haters gonna hate. It's just the nature of the internet. With that, I agree with zombo. The whole point of beta-mod evaluation is to get some feedback from the community overall about how a mod is performing. If the users don't feel the mod has done enough they can either say no or ask for an extension. Regardless of the situation there are always going be those few who will be outspoken and negative towards an individual simply for the sake of doing it. Unfortunately those few people are the ones people will pay attention to since bad situations are easier to focus on than good ones. The point I'm driving at is moderator recall doesn't work out as well as it sounds. There's too many factors that go into who can vote, when can they vote, why have a vote etc. As it stands zombo makes a great admin and if there's any issue with moderators he can take it up with them individually if he feels it's not up to mods standards.