UPSB v4

Off-topic / Breathing

1. boshi
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 03:59:28

So for all you musicians out there, we've been taught since the beginning to breathe from our stomachs, and not to raise our shoulders when breathing. Supposedly we expand our stomachs for air. Lately iv really noticed that i can't get very much air by breathing from my stomach. However it seems it results in being more in tune (instrumentally and vocally). Anyone have similar experiences? Ideas on dealing with this? or am i doing it wrong :O

2. nateiskewl
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 04:06:35

I usually breathe in and out.

3. AwonW
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 04:09:37

Biologically speaking, I think you should be able to get more air by breathing from your stomach. Maybe you're doing it wrong? I play a stringed instrument though, so I don't really have a lot of experience with this.

4. maunierox
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 04:18:13

i've been a singer for a while and i've played different instruments and the multiple ways ive been taught to breathe "right" all include the idea of not quite wanting to see you breath make your stomach expand, but more your ribcage down lower by your diaphragm. you should feel your breath expanding your ribcage not up and down but out sideways along the paths of your shirt seams. it works for me. and the air lasts a lot longer if you are doing it right.

5. boshi
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 04:57:25

Oh and another thing. I get a bigger breath when i bend over =l

6. maunierox
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 06:26:39

boshi wrote: Oh and another thing. I get a bigger breath when i bend over =l
    its a well known asthma trick to put your hands over your head when you are having an asthma attack because it allows more air to be let in, maybe that explains the bending over?

7. tacohead12
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 06:29:32

Well I'm not too good with breathing generally, but I've been playing saxophone for like 7 years so I know a few things :P It is better to breathe in from your stomach. Make sure when you are breathing that you let your abdominal muscles relax. This will allow your stomach to expand more and such. You probably already do this but breath through your mouth. When doing so you should try to open your mouth wide so that air can get in faster, if you do this correctly your breaths will be almost silent. You don't want a loud sucking noise when you are breathing in because that means there is alot of resistance for the air to go in. And this is more of a mental thing, but don't think about it as sucking in air. Air goes into your lungs because of the negative pressure, you aren't actually sucking anything in. So if you simply make a nice pathway for the air to get in then you fill fill up your lungs easily to get maximum air. and raising your shoulders is bad because it causes certain muscle tensions that are bad apparently. Idk if any of that will be useful >< Try doing some breathing exercises. At my school we do one where you breath in for 2 counts and then out for 2 counts. Then in for 4 counts and out for 4, increasing by 2 until it is 12 or 14 counts. The most important part of that exercise is making sure each time you breath in your lungs are completely full and then completely empty when you breath out. And just out of curiosity what instrument do you play? unless you sing o-o

8. boshi
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 07:03:42

^ same exercise we do at my school. iv been playing sax and clarinet for 8 years. Iv always been breathing from my stomach, but lately i just find it not very efficient. I guess it makes for a good tone though. @maunierox should it feel like your stomach is being pushed down? usually when i breathe, i take in air until my stomach can't expand any further forward.

9. maunierox
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 07:10:33

@boshi it should feel like you're trying to spread out your ribcage sideways as far as it can go. breathing through the stomach gets so much less air. hrmmm...i'm trying to figure out how to describe it. try putting your hand on your stomach to remind yourself not to expand it and try to breathe by spreading out your ribcage. if your shoulders lift up you are doing it wrong. your lungs will fill up all the way but not to the point where your chest is sticking out.

10. juggalo666666
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 18:53:52

Just watch chocolate rain on youtube (leaning away from the mike to breath)

11. boshi
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 06:00:07

@maunierox huh? hmm. im trying to breathe without expanding my stomach, but that only causes my upper body to raise. this also makes me extremely light headed =/

12. maunierox
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 08:36:48

@boshi i think i was a bit wrong. it raises your chest but make sure you dont raise your shoulders. it should feel like you are filling up your shirt not at the stomach part but at the chest part. especially sideways.

13. boshi
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 08:40:13

well that makes a bit more sense. by doing so i am able to get a deeper breath, but now it feels like theres less vibrations(i tried humming). is that supposed to happen?

14. SuiXidaL
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 08:43:48

Jordin Sparks - No Air Tell me how I'm supposed to breathe with no air? If I should die before I wake It's 'cause you took my breath away Losing you is like living in a world with no air, oh I'm here alone, didn't wanna leave My heart won't move, it's incomplete If there was a way that I could make you understand But how do you expect me To live alone with just me? 'Cause my world revolves around you It's so hard for me to breathe Tell me how I'm supposed to breathe with no air? Can't live, can't breathe with no air It's how I feel whenever you ain't there There's no air, no air Got me out here in the water so deep Tell me how you gon' be without me? If you ain't here I just can't breathe There's no air, no air No air, air No air, air No air, air No air, air I walk, I ran, I jump, I flew Right off the ground to float to you With no gravity to hold me down for real But somehow I'm still alive inside You took my breath but I survived I don't how but I don't even care So how do you expect me To live alone with just me? 'Cause my world revolves around you It's so hard for me to breathe Tell me how I'm supposed to breathe with no air? Can't live, can't breathe with no air It's how I feel whenever you ain't there There's no air, no air Got me out here in the water so deep Tell me how you gon' be without me? If you ain't here I just can't breathe There's no air, no air No air, air No air, air No air, air No air, air No more Baby There's no air, no air No air, oh! Tell me how I'm supposed to breathe with no air? Can't live, can't breathe with no air It's how I feel whenever you ain't there There's no air, no air Got me out here in the water so deep Tell me how you gon' be without me? If you ain't here I just can't breathe There's no air, no air (No air) (No air) (No air) (No air) Tell me how I'm supposed to breathe with no air? Can't live, can't breathe with no air It's how I feel whenever you ain't there There's no air, no air Got me out here in the water so deep Tell me how you gon' be without me? If you ain't here I just can't breathe There's no air, no air No air, air No air, air No air, air No air

15. maunierox
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 08:52:56

i'm not sure i truly understand, but this should give you more air and it should give you more power behind those breaths. [i dont know the importance of the vibration but the way you were doing it before gives you very little air to use.]

16. boshi
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 22:50:40

With this, i definitely feel like i have more air, but it feels like i have less power in breathes. also, notes come out sharp.

17. tacohead12
    Date: Fri, Mar 18 2011 15:20:57

I used to play clarinet too o-o for like 2 years Weird. I'm not sure why notes would be sharp from breathing different. Maybe your changing something with your embouchure when you breathe that way? Cuz I can't think of any reason why. And I agree with maunierox. I'm kinda confused