UPSB v4

Serious Discussion / Relationship Help

1. Mr.Squekers
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 02:58:46

Ok, Here's the situation, I want to go to an engineering school, i have already been accepted. My girlfriend wants me to go to the school shes going to, ive been accepted and it is an IB Programme school. I think about what could happen to my future if i choose one school over the other. What should I do. I ASK FOR SERIOUS WISDOM.

2. Mike
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 03:03:36

No, no, no. Not this again.

3. maunierox
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 03:03:51

i always think its a bad idea to go to the same school as a girlfriend/boyfriend. i know so many people who have broken up for that reason whereas i live 450 miles away from my boyfriend and we are still together. it shouldn't matter where either of you guys live if you think it is worth it, because if it is worth it, then you will make it work. don't throw away your future for a girl.

4. AoD1
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 03:04:04

your not going to get serious wisdom on a penspinning board full of 13 yr olds bro

5. Mr.Squekers
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 03:09:29

maunierox wrote: i always think its a bad idea to go to the same school as a girlfriend/boyfriend. i know so many people who have broken up for that reason whereas i live 450 miles away from my boyfriend and we are still together. it shouldn't matter where either of you guys live if you think it is worth it, because if it is worth it, then you will make it work. don't throw away your future for a girl.
    I know of this, thank you.

6. Twine
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 03:58:02

http://boards.4chan.org/adv/

7. Koza
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 04:09:38

Go with what's best for you. There's always time after school if she decides to stay loyal.

8. TheAafg
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 04:16:09

school is something that will stay with you for sure. What is the proof that your gf will always stay with you? studies > gf. Don't be a fool.

9. Frip
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 04:24:23

This is a no brained...school > gf. You can always stay in touch or find another. And I always thought you were in 3rd grade or something :)

10. Awesome
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 06:29:41

since this is a dilemma for you go with the school if you had a relationship worth sacrificing for this wouldn't be an issue for you

11. iMatt
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 20:23:33

Go to the school. Seriously pursuit your interests first. There will be many more women in your life. You just don't know it yet.

12. sangara
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 20:27:15

iMatt wrote: Go to the school. Seriously pursuit your interests first. There will be many more women in your life. You just don't know it yet.
    This is very true, and once you have a sweet career going you can just follow them.

13. nateiskewl
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 23:34:05

Mr.Squekers wrote: Ok, Here's the situation, I want to go to an engineering school, i have already been accepted. My girlfriend wants me to go to the school shes going to, ive been accepted and it is an IB Programme school. I think about what could happen to my future if i choose one school over the other. What should I do. I ASK FOR SERIOUS WISDOM.
    Aren't you like twelve?

14. Kirby
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 23:47:27

nateiskewl wrote: Aren't you like twelve?
    Clever. He obviously is older. Stupid post.

15. Loanshark
    Date: Thu, Mar 17 2011 17:11:48

Would you consider your girlfriend to be a potential/likely wife? If no, then choose the school. If yes, then still choose the school, but try to be sincere with it to your girlfriend.

16. Colin
    Date: Fri, Mar 18 2011 23:13:07

AoD1;74617]your not going to get serious wisdom on a penspinning board full of 13 yr olds bro[/QUOTE] +1 [QUOTE=Twine;74648]http://boards.4chan.org/adv/[/QUOTE] This is actually true. 4chan's /adv/ board is actually really helpful. [QUOTE=Koza;74657]Go with what's best for you. There's always time after school if she decides to stay loyal.[/QUOTE] +1 [QUOTE=Frip wrote: This is a no brained...school > gf. You can always stay in touch or find another. And I always thought you were in 3rd grade or something :)
    +1 Im gonna go with the 'million fish in the sea' type of shit. A girlfriend is almostNEVER a priority, especially when youre in school. Im gonna be honest with you, you are NEVER going to have a stable relationship at the age [we're] at. Wait til you finish college, then see what goes on. Plus, think of all the pussy you'll get get in college! But seriously. I dont think choosing differnt schools will kill you. Please excuse me, but let's use Strat1227 as an example. IIRC, his GF lives three states away from him. (Keeping the names of the states out of the questions to protect privacy). Theyre still together. Theyre almost done will college, and have been together since highschoolish. I think. School>GF anyday. Family>GF always. GF=/=family. Wife=family. Entiende?

17. TheAafg
    Date: Sat, Mar 19 2011 22:16:43

Colin wrote: Im gonna go with the 'million fish in the sea' type of shit. A girlfriend is almostNEVER a priority, especially when youre in school. Im gonna be honest with you, you are NEVER going to have a stable relationship at the age [we're] at. Wait til you finish college, then see what goes on. Plus, think of all the pussy you'll get get in college! But seriously. I dont think choosing differnt schools will kill you. Please excuse me, but let's use Strat1227 as an example. IIRC, his GF lives three states away from him. (Keeping the names of the states out of the questions to protect privacy). Theyre still together. Theyre almost done will college, and have been together since highschoolish. I think. School>GF anyday. Family>GF always. GF=/=family. Wife=family. Entiende?
    +1 if I need advice on anything, from now on Colin will be the first person I will ask. Even after all the things that people wrote, if you pick gf over studies, I would literally laugh my ass off not even kidding. What is the guarantee that she is going to be always there for you? none, but knowledge is almost guaranteed to stay with you for the rest of your life.

18. authenticatethepunk
    Date: Tue, Mar 22 2011 11:49:03

Twine wrote: http://boards.4chan.org/adv/
    Be really platonic about this though. Weigh up the differences between the two schools. IB programme schools are great if you're planning to go overseas and interstate. Really though, at this stage in your education, consider the idea that you're pretty much independent with your studies, and that choice of college/university doesn't really matter (that much, unless if you're taking reductio ad absurdum and comparing Harvard to Com Col), it just depends on how committed you are to your course. People will tell you that your girlfriend will fuck you over, but seriously, you're not a common denominator bro. My friend's being seeing someone in the same school for about 2 years and he made top 2% of the state for two of his subjects. In the end, it's not about whether or not the girlfriend is there, it's about how committed you are to everything. But be platonic about it. Like for realz. Are there any real advantages (and you should only be considering resources and facilities as necessities) that one has over the other? As a final point, it's never too late to pick your life up. Like, ten years is a long time, but the academic world is a big place, and it is very very user friendly. Unless if you're a German existential philosopher. Good luck bro. Edit- Don't actually follow this advice if you don't feel that it's any helpful (lolnoshit), but this is the sort of shit that only you can decide for yourself. The problem with this sort of dilemma is that seeking help for it means that everyone will classify you (as they already have) as a common denominator, as just the same situation. You'd probably know damn well more than anyone on this board that your circumstances are different. Do what feels right to you. Like, and I really don't mean to be a dick here Colin, but:
    School>GF anyday. Family>GF always. GF=/=family. Wife=family.
    I'll take school over my girlfriend. But I'd take her over my family. Because in all seriousness, I don't know a fucking thing about my family (outside of my rents). To me, they are only a group of people associated by blood and gather around a few times a year. But in all honesty, you don't love someone because they are your family/girlfriend, they are your family/girlfriend because you love them. And I mean, if you come to ask yourself "Why do I love her?" and answer with some shit like "because she's my mother", then you've got some real serious thinking to do. Because really, unconditional love isn't love at all. Strictly speaking some of my friends aren't family, but I'll tell you now, I love them more than I love my (non immediate) family. Easily. Also, I don't understand the logic in wife = family.

19. neXus
    Date: Wed, Mar 23 2011 16:00:44

LET ME OPEN UP MY PLETHORA OF WISDOM FOR YOU BROSKI. Pick the school that is better regardless of where your girlfriend goes. Tell her that you love her and that you want to spend as much time with her as possible but you have to look out for your future (say our future when you tell her) from a financial stand-point. One school will enable you a better career which will lead to a better life for you and her. Pick that school. To be really honest you probably will not stay with her for the rest of your life, very few relationships last that long and if you pick the "weaker" school now and break up with her you go to the same school as your ex, a school which is worse than what you could've had, had you picked the right school. Fuck that noise, bro. Avoid the situation, pick the better school. WISDOM HAS BEEN SERVED

20. chadcrazy
    Date: Wed, Mar 23 2011 16:23:13

it's never a good idea to study in the same school of your girlfriend/boyfriend,things will get bored... time is gonna pass... u'll beggin to see such defects,that you didn't know... well.. if is that what u want...go for it..

21. Neotoma
    Date: Thu, Apr 7 2011 00:34:12

AoD1 wrote: your not going to get serious wisdom on a penspinning board full of 13 yr olds bro
    I find this slightly offensive.....I'm not TERRIBLE with advise and i'm 13 now.

22. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Apr 7 2011 03:38:47

Neotoma wrote: I find this slightly offensive.....I'm not TERRIBLE with advise and i'm 13 now.
    you haven't experinced the more sensitive and serious issues life has to offer, so your advice on anything meaningful is next to worthless. it isn't a personal fault of yours or anything, just that you're 13

23. authenticatethepunk
    Date: Thu, Apr 7 2011 09:59:26

Awesome wrote: you haven't experinced the more sensitive and serious issues life has to offer, so your advice on anything meaningful is next to worthless. it isn't a personal fault of yours or anything, just that you're 13
    Not that I'm having a go at you, but don't you think that too much life experience adds bias into a decision, and that any resulting advice given can be misinformation due to the introduction of personal assessment?

24. Neotoma
    Date: Sat, Apr 9 2011 19:15:02

Awesome wrote: you haven't experinced the more sensitive and serious issues life has to offer, so your advice on anything meaningful is next to worthless. it isn't a personal fault of yours or anything, just that you're 13
    I've gone through ALOT in my life so far.

25. Awesome
    Date: Sat, Apr 9 2011 20:33:49

Do you think assumptions based on nothing are better?

authenticatethepunk wrote: Not that I'm having a go at you, but don't you think that too much life experience adds bias into a decision, and that any resulting advice given can be misinformation due to the introduction of personal assessment?
    @Neotoma sorry I didn't mean it so bluntly, but you still have a lot to look forward to :P (myself included)

26. Twine
    Date: Sat, Apr 9 2011 21:09:59

@Neotoma You will realise how much you do change aging. Trust me, you may feel all knowledgeable and full of great advise but when you're older you will realise 'Shit, I didn't know anything'. Hay I know I have a shit load to learn, only being 16 myself.

27. nateiskewl
    Date: Sat, Apr 9 2011 21:22:21

Neotoma wrote: I've gone through ALOT in my life so far.
    You've gone through alot?!?

28. capoboy
    Date: Sat, Apr 9 2011 22:57:26

Choose the school you think that will benefit you most. If you want to go to the engineering school, just go. If she really loves you, she should understand that you also have your own dreams.

29. Raos
    Date: Mon, Apr 11 2011 04:22:00

@MrSqueakers how the hell are u old enough to go into university when tue grading system uhave is a b c d etc if it is then your grades are low and will be unlikely to be enough for university so either your lying about this or your grades or age or the universities u got accepted in are shitty ones. Sent from IPhone 4 via Tapatalk.

30. sangara
    Date: Mon, Apr 11 2011 04:26:49

DrakeOhMeteor007 wrote: @MrSqueakers how the hell are u old enough to go into university when tue grading system uhave is a b c d etc if it is then your grades are low and will be unlikely to be enough for university so either your lying about this or your grades or age or the universities u got accepted in are shitty ones.
    In the US we use the ABCDF grading system from about 4th grade through college. Your point about being old enough due to his grading system is irrelevant.

31. Enigmatic
    Date: Fri, Apr 15 2011 04:10:42

I've only had 1 gf in my life, i'm 17, I never was interested in getting a girlfriend during school so I waited til I was a senior in high school, I graduated at 16 and that's when I went out with a girl for the first time. we've been together for over a year and a couple of months now. I graduated before her even though she's 18, so 6 months in to the relationship I couldnt see her every day anymore but we still make it work. I think that if 2 people really love each other and are not interested in just having sex or looking good with one another, both will overcome any obstacle that comes into their lives. If its meant to be it is and if its not then its not. When she graduates she'll be going to school like 800 miles away and we'll see each other less but if its true love it'll work out... in my opinion worry about your own future and everything else will fall into place

32. authenticatethepunk
    Date: Mon, Apr 18 2011 09:03:21

Awesome wrote: Do you think assumptions based on nothing are better?
    What? That wasn't my point at all. I'm not inferring that someone at the age of thirteen - who hasn't "experinced the more sensitive and serious issues life has to offer" - is capable of providing life advice, but I'm just saying that just because one has life experience, doesn't mean that they are well fitted to provide advice. I agree with the notion that experience should directly correlate with quality of advice, but anyone would be naive to think that the real world application of such an idea is one that is valid. Evidence of this? Go outside to the city and tell me that you can't find a bigot. There in fact doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the idea that life experience should yield proper advice, but historically speaking, how often do you find people whose life advice are the result of past experience and bias?

33. beebop
    Date: Thu, May 19 2011 03:30:22

i know this is late but whatever I would suggest going to the school you wanted to go to because your girlfriend needs to understand that you have your own goals and dreams that you would like to achieve she should respect that and I'm sure you would too if she had her goals and dreams somewhere else. Get a good start on your career before you think about being with your girlfriend. Being with your girlfriend, there is lots of time for you to do that. You are in the moment where you can use your opportunities and get a good education and great start to your career and yes there are many other girls that you will meet to and if it doesn't work out , it doesn't. Love is complicated so I cannot tell you what to do with the relationship nor should anyone else because no one else knows what makes you happy and feel loved. As for the career and school its simple, you have the chance, take it and use it. Getting a good career is more important. You need the direction in life first before you deal with your girlfriend. Just remember if she really loves you she will respect your choice. btw this is just my opinion I am only 15 so in many cases I may not be right because I haven't reached the age you are at and don't know your perspective on things. final advice: take school first.