UPSB v4

Off-topic / General College/University Thread

1. Frip
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 03:56:15

Soup. I've never seen one of these so i figured we need one k. Anyways post what you gotta post. Could anybody recommend a good summer program to which i could still apply to?(science + engineering related.) Okokok moar: What college are you going to/did you go to? Did you like it? General advice for others? ...

2. hoiboy
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 03:58:41

Dude, all the apps are due in February/March. A bit late.

3. Frip
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 03:59:36

Thought so :D

4. Storm
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 04:27:46

I've visited the University of Colorado, University of Colorado Springs, University of Denver, University of Minnesota (Twin Cities), University of Indiana, and HARVARD (just for kicks, haha). Lemme just say that all of the Universities I visited in CO are BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, one of them (I think it was UoC) has a panoramic vista and it's placed on high ground, so you can just look out into the plains forever (until you reach the mountain backdrop, which is also breathtaking). Colorado takes my vote for most beautiful campuses by a landslide. All the other campuses were kinda boring. I'm going to University of Arizona Stat - Polytechnic Campus (very isolated, middle-of-nowhere) unless my Letter of Repeal to the University of Denver gets approved and I'm allowed to go there. Anyone else going anywhere nearby? I guess Arizona isn't too far away from So/Nor-Cal so I could meet up with other spinners there.

5. DragonRose
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 04:45:26

I am currently attending Avila University, in Kansas City, Missouri. (yes KC is in Missouri too) I love this school, it's a well respected uni in the Midwest. I have a year left for my bachelors in business administration and psychology. My advice for others, especially those about to graduate high school is to keep your head down and get your shit done before you party.

6. MeiTenshi
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 05:47:57

at ECU, doing a double major in Bachelor of arts lol

7. maunierox
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 07:10:19

I'm going to UC Irvine. there are a lot of azns. bahaha. it's like 10 mins to the beach. ergo it's got a lot going for it. bahaha. good engineering/science stuff going on here even thought i wouldn't know seeing as i'm a film major. haha

8. boshi
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 07:13:40

i heard Irvine is good for business. this true?

9. SJ
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 07:30:15

its kinda new and hard to get into idk if you can call it "good" per se... its more known for bio

10. Mike
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 07:50:40

Santa Barbara City College.

11. maunierox
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 09:13:59

it's really not that hard to get into believe me. exhibit a? my roommates. but its really amazingly nice and yes its good for business. i know a lot of business admin. majors. it's basically good for everything. :P

12. DragonRose
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 10:08:34

I had a friend graduate from Santa Barbara, he loved it.

13. Mike
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 14:32:22

DragonRose wrote: I had a friend graduate from Santa Barbara, he loved it.
    UC Santa Barbara? Or SBCC?

14. maunierox
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 19:27:45

UCSB did go up a lot on the top 200 colleges list. this year it topped UCSD UCI and UCD. http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/top-200.html#score_OS|sort_rank|reverse_false

15. DragonRose
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 19:56:55

Mike wrote: UC Santa Barbara? Or SBCC?
    UCSB with a finance degree.

16. Mike
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 02:57:28

maunierox;74469]UCSB did go up a lot on the top 200 colleges list. this year it topped UCSD UCI and UCD. http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/top-200.html#score_OS|sort_rank|reverse_false[/QUOTE] They have a pretty kick-ass Marine Biology and Computer Engineering program. [QUOTE=DragonRose wrote: UCSB with a finance degree.
    Very nice. Did s/he like Santa Barbara?

17. Frip
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 04:19:56

Anybody know anything about Illinois institute of technology? (IIT) I've looked at the website and reviews and it seems pretty good. Yet nobody ever talks about it...:|

18. colourfulXinsanity
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 04:23:23

collegeconfidential forums or studentsreview = life @Frip: http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/IIT_comments.html

19. SJ
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 04:57:14

maunierox;74355]it's really not that hard to get into believe me. exhibit a? my roommates. but its really amazingly nice and yes its good for business. i know a lot of business admin. majors. it's basically good for everything. :P[/QUOTE] eh, hard enough. i know a lot too. the entering class of 2009 had the highest gpa of all majors i heard? maybe im wrong lol and its really competitive and hard to switch into at least [QUOTE=maunierox wrote: UCSB did go up a lot on the top 200 colleges list. this year it topped UCSD UCI and UCD. http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/top-200.html#score_OS|sort_rank|reverse_false
    how reliable is that site? btw, thats the world rankings and some of the em are just absurd i dont see how ucsb can be #29 in the world, let alone in the US

20. maunierox
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 05:30:48

SJ wrote: eh, hard enough. i know a lot too. the entering class of 2009 had the highest gpa of all majors i heard? maybe im wrong lol and its really competitive and hard to switch into at least how reliable is that site? btw, thats the world rankings and some of the em are just absurd i dont see how ucsb can be #29 in the world, let alone in the US
    i just know that almost every single person i know that applied got in. but the website should be reliable because its ran by reuters.

21. DragonRose
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 06:17:32

Mike wrote: Very nice. Did s/he like Santa Barbara?
    Yeah he loved it there, though we don't really talk much about it. He did mention quite a few beautiful single ladies attend though!

22. Awesome
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 06:20:57

Even if you are right that doesn't show that its hard to get into. It could be other factors that caused them to have a high GPA average, maybe they have a good reputation for that program and only smart people wanted to get in on that for instance.

SJ wrote: eh, hard enough. i know a lot too. the entering class of 2009 had the highest gpa of all majors i heard? maybe im wrong lol and its really competitive and hard to switch into at least how reliable is that site? btw, thats the world rankings and some of the em are just absurd i dont see how ucsb can be #29 in the world, let alone in the US

23. Mike
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 06:49:25

DragonRose wrote: Yeah he loved it there, though we don't really talk much about it. He did mention quite a few beautiful single ladies attend though!
    There are plenty. Did he ever mention a place called, IV or Isla Vista?

24. DragonRose
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 07:03:07

Mike wrote: There are plenty. Did he ever mention a place called, IV or Isla Vista?
    Yeah I've been there, UCSB is in IV proper. He lived on a yacht in SB proper though.

25. Mike
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 07:11:10

DragonRose wrote: Yeah I've been there, UCSB is in IV proper. He lived on a yacht in SB proper though.
    Did he ever mention how amazing of a place IV is?

26. UEDan
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 07:17:46

maunierox wrote: I'm going to UC Irvine. there are a lot of azns. bahaha. it's like 10 mins to the beach. ergo it's got a lot going for it. bahaha. good engineering/science stuff going on here even thought i wouldn't know seeing as i'm a film major. haha
    U - University of C - Chinese I - Immigrants For Film, you should check out OCC on the side, GREAT, film program. Lots of success stories of kids going directly into the industry from OCC. Orange Coast College for me =)

27. maunierox
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 07:25:28

UEDan wrote: U - University of C - Chinese I - Immigrants For Film, you should check out OCC on the side, GREAT, film program. Lots of success stories of kids going directly into the industry from OCC. Orange Coast College for me =)
    it is kinda sad being a minority for once. haha. but it seems like i can get a great internship out of uci for exactly what i want to do. music supervision for film rather than actual film. but i have been instructed to go to another college because of my future career choice, but i'm kinda too lazy to do that. :P

28. Frip
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 22:07:35

Got a 30 on my practice ACT. Solid with lots of room for improvement ;D feelsgoodman.jpg

29. hoiboy
    Date: Thu, Mar 17 2011 01:40:00

34 on ACT

30. Biji
    Date: Tue, Mar 22 2011 16:13:49

FUCK Got placed on McGill university's waiting list fufufufufu more waiting MORE WAITING GOD DAMNIT

31. Frip
    Date: Wed, Mar 23 2011 17:44:45

kk... so I'm writing an interpretive essay on colleges :| As in... why do all colleges want leadership, why people prefer elite universities, etc any thoughts? :|

32. ._.
    Date: Wed, Mar 23 2011 18:04:52

@Frip: I think one reason people would want to go to elite universities is for them to be something their family will be proud of c:

33. A.Sate
    Date: Thu, Mar 24 2011 04:42:24

Colleges want leadership because you need to be able to communicate with others and stuff, people skills. Something along those lines. There are more options in going to a better college, like a good grad school, which leads to more options for jobs. And definitely pride and the competetive spirit are good reasons.

34. Mike
    Date: Thu, Mar 24 2011 04:53:04

._. wrote: @Frip: I think one reason people would want to go to elite universities is for them to be something their family will be proud of c:
    Can't you do the same thing with just going to a less expensive school first?

35. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Mar 24 2011 06:01:28

._. wrote: @Frip: I think one reason people would want to go to elite universities is for them to be something their family will be proud of c:
    Actually, it's because you will get hired easier. Two people apply for the same job, the one with the degree from a better school has an obviously better chance at getting the job. Not to mention we're in a recession.

36. Frip
    Date: Thu, Mar 24 2011 16:46:11

ok I'm just gonna post this here real quick in case anybody feels the urge to proof read something noep. thanks for feedback :dunce: