UPSB v4

Pen Spinning Relations / [project][4.1] Annual UPSB Tournament

1. Hippo2626
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 03:53:59

I believe there was a thread on this before but I think it is a promising endeavor. I think it's fairly obvious that the UPSB community isn't focused on pen spinning. I think this is a good way to cultivate a better pen spinning community. Plus a UPSB tournament will help train and prep newer members for the WC and WT. There has been a UPSB tournament for the past 2 years but the one this year has not been going too well which got me thinking about whether it would be good if the RD could help organise it every year so it wouldn't be so messy (plus we don't wanna' get Zombo to do it 'cause he is to busy with the WT/WC). [B]Organistion[/B] The best way to run this is to follow the WT/WC so the participants would get a better understanding and get used to the official system if/when the get into the WT/WC. The goal is to get 100 spinners every year but if not many people wanna' sign up then we could cut it down to 64 or 32 depending on the turn up. How we will match spinners up, I'm not sure perhaps Zombo, you could shed some light on how you do it for the WT. Based on previous discussions about when is the optimum time for a tournament, Zombo said the best time is the WT timing because of reasons that currently slip my mind. So I'm thinking we can run it along the same time as the WT/WC ad whoever isn't in it can join our tournament (if the participants in the WT/WC wanna' join the UPSB Tournament, I'm sure it's not a problem as well.) Who can Join? Anyone who calls UPSB their main board? [B]UPSB Cup[/B] Will it be a good idea if we not keep it to a tournament alone but alternate with a UPSB Cup as well? It might help potential WT/WC spinners get use to both WT and WC. If this is the case then I suggest running it such that if it is a WT this year, we will run a UPSB Cup so spinners will be prepared for the WC next year and vice versa. How this will happen is spinners will form teams of 6 and submit it to us and we choose the best 8 teams to participate. [B]Qualifications[/B] If there are more than 100 spinners to sign up for the UPSB Tournament, how do we decide? Get everyone to submit a clip? Should spinners be invited? For the UPSB Cup, the qualifications can be for each team to submit a collab video like the WC. [B]Judging[/B] Format should be the same as WT/WC. Who should the judges be. Perhaps spinners who are actually in the WT/WC? Invited members from other forums? [B]Prizes[/B] Ideas?

2. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 15:35:45

look at how the tournament ran 2 years ago double elim to make ppl film more than 1 vid prelim filtering to limit number of competitors and to do seeding prize is 1 yr premium + whatever donations ppl give to the tournament

3. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 15:38:31

Optimum time is during the summer, people have free time and aren't destracted by other tournaments.

4. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 03:01:57

Whens the summer? (I don't have summer in Singapore) I can't find the thread on the tourney 2 years ago.

5. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 16:33:05

Summer is in about 3 months.

6. Hippo2626
    Date: Sat, Mar 19 2011 02:23:43

Would it be a good idea to do the UPSB Cup as well? Do we start out small first with 32 members in the tourney and grow to 100 members or start with 100 members?

7. 13371337
    Date: Wed, Mar 23 2011 15:34:47

It's bad to use seasonal words such as 'summer' because it falls at different times for different people and this is a worldwide board. The best time for the tournament would be away from the time of the WT/WC, otherwise the best UPSB spinners will probably never compete in the UPSB tournament. A proper tournament could really help with selection of UPSB spinners for WC/WT with the top 3 (for example) being given a place. If over 100 spinners wanted to compete, spinners that are clearly better can be seeded and given a bye for round 1. All the other spinners could compete in round 1 and then go through to round 2.

8. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Mar 23 2011 15:55:35

i dont think wt spinners will want to participate another tournament right after, too tiring

9. 13371337
    Date: Wed, Mar 23 2011 17:15:19

So they could just be at opposing ends of the year?

10. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Mar 23 2011 18:12:15

what does that even mean... WT is like 5 months UPSB tournament would be like 4 months theres really no "opposing ends", either they're overlapping or they're consecutive. the best is to offset the upsb tournament by 1 month or two anybody eliminated from WT will join tournament, theres no hope of getting all the top competitors anyway

11. 13371337
    Date: Wed, Mar 23 2011 19:19:03

If WT is 5 months and UPSB tournament is 4 months. Let's say: WT is Jan/Feb/March/April/May Then the UPSB tournament would be July/Aug/Sept/Oct Giving the maximum time between them (only two months between WT and UPSB tournament, but the latter rounds of the WT involve only a few spinners, perhaps none from UPSB. 3 months between UPSB tournament end and WT. And why should UPSB tournament be so long? Why not have a simple week to make a combo, week to judge system?

12. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Mar 23 2011 19:49:31

the no-show ratio would be absurd if you only give 1 week the goal of the UPSBT is to simulate the WT as much as possible to prepare them for it.

13. Hippo2626
    Date: Fri, Nov 4 2011 23:06:39

I'll start a sign up thread for the UPSBT'12 thread soon. Anyone interested in being a judge, PM me.

14. hoiboy
    Date: Tue, Nov 8 2011 04:11:00

Are we running this at the same time as the WC?

15. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Nov 8 2011 04:24:03

well not exactly, but overlapping yes. it is meant to be training for the "newer" spinners

16. Hippo2626
    Date: Tue, Nov 8 2011 04:37:30

Yea. I'll try to alternate it with the WC schedule. Like the due date will be one week before or after the WC duedates. I'll also have a longer submission date for those who can't get into the WC team.

17. Hippo2626
    Date: Thu, Nov 17 2011 02:51:33

I'm having a bit of issue with format. I'm adopting the format that Zombo used in 2010 but I wanna' increase the scale to 16-32 players. However the ranking matchups thing doesn't really work out well because the difference would be really big between the 2 matched up spinners (32nd ranked spinner versus the 1st ranked) Solutions? Also, When is the due date for to confirm the teams in the WC? @Zombo

18. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Nov 17 2011 17:04:02

why does it matter? 1st seed is supposed to have an easy time in the first few rounds eliminated ppl go to the loser bracket for a second chance

19. Hippo2626
    Date: Fri, Nov 18 2011 14:41:58

Oh yea. Sorry I was thinking about another tournament scheme... Silly me. There is another problem. Once the tournament gets to the final round, the lower bracket has 8 spinners if there are 32 spinners and 6 is there are 16 spinners. There's no way to rank a 3rd and 4th unless the final round will be a free for all type battle. Solution?

20. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Nov 18 2011 17:23:29

no... look at the example here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-elimination_tournament

21. Hippo2626
    Date: Sun, Nov 20 2011 11:27:29

Thanks Zombo! http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=8458 Does it look okay?

22. Mats
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 05:05:03

Ok, this time around, it clashes with WC. Let's not do that again... And so long as someone organizes this, with the backing of a respected UPSB mod or admin, this will happen.

23. iColor
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 05:56:32

It's already going on. It'll be going on during WC, but the dates/deadlines won't conflict with WC.

24. Hippo2626
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 06:02:10

The tournament is more for the less pro spinners to train up so I'd say this is the best time 'cause the latter half of the year, those spinners can train up and save content for next years WT/WC

25. Mats
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 07:11:23

Hippo2626 wrote: The tournament is more for the less pro spinners to train up so I'd say this is the best time 'cause the latter half of the year, those spinners can train up and save content for next years WT/WC
    Or you can have it at the other time of year and they can do that anyways AND the pro spinners can be in too?

26. Hippo2626
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 00:32:07

Mats wrote: Or you can have it at the other time of year and they can do that anyways AND the pro spinners can be in too?
    Then the Pro spinners would be way too tired out. Going into WT/WC then the UPSBT then WT/WC again. They won't have any breaks and no time to stash up their content.

27. Mats
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 00:32:57

I don't see people in other other sports having to 'stash up content.'

28. Hippo2626
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 00:42:23

'cause they're professionals and they have to work on those things all day. We can't focus on spinning 8 hours a day.

29. Mats
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 00:43:16

I even mean amateurs, or people who don't make enough to live on their sport. And do you realise how few people do 8 hours a day, even at the higher levels of things?

30. Hippo2626
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 00:55:59

Even so. I'm pretty sure if you ask all the top UPSB spinners if they were willing to be in a tournament all year round, a lot of them would probably say no. I would rather the top spinners stash up their amazing content and give a better overall performance in the WT/WC then then performing not as good and participate in 2 tournies a year.

31. Mats
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 01:31:20

It's not going to be all year round though...

32. Hippo2626
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 02:38:39

The WT/WC will last about 4-5 months and this tournie is 6 months. That's 1-2 months of non-tournie time which is really short

33. Mats
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 07:16:06

How many spinners are going to be in the WC/WT and UPSB for the whole length fool? haha

34. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Nov 29 2011 01:04:41

the upsb tournament is preparation for next year WT/WC, the point is to train upcomers, not already pro spinners