UPSB v4

General Discussion / When is it a good time to start spinning a CYL?

1. Nicetricks507
    Date: Sun, Mar 13 2011 06:33:38

I was just wondering, since throughout all my time PSing I've been doing everything with a BICtory and an MX, if it would be a good time to switch to a heavier double sided mod, one which I've had my eye on for a some time is the buster. I'd actully be fine with a BICtory if it had a heavier barrel, so I'd appreciate tips on that or possible substitutions for the bic barrel too.

2. WhatsOfTheUp1
    Date: Sun, Mar 13 2011 07:01:13

See other post

3. Riley
    Date: Sun, Mar 13 2011 07:12:20

Continuing off of WhatsOfTheUp1's post, if a metal comssa is too light for you/you want a bit heavier, you could try a cheat comssa. But for getting a buster, [B]IN MY OPINION[/B], busters are only good if you can do power tricks well. Otherwise, if you use it without using powertricks, it just doesn't look that great.

4. J74Q
    Date: Sun, Mar 13 2011 07:44:59

@WhatsOfTheUp1 OMG. NO NO. buster is too heavy for beginners!!! if they are going to learn their sonic with buster, how are they gonna learn the power tricks next time! as riley said, i recommend it if u are a pwr tricker (thai style)

5. WhatsOfTheUp1
    Date: Sun, Mar 13 2011 15:17:08

@Nicetricks507 Just in case, you accidentally thought i said to get a buster, too, don't get a buster. DO NOT GET A BUSTER. Look up a metallic comssa, or if that's too light, go with what Riley said and try out a cheat comssa. Just do not, i reapeat, DO NOT get a buster.

6. WhatsOfTheUp1
    Date: Sun, Mar 13 2011 18:21:00

[quote=WhatsOfTheUp1]Like other people have said, starting out with a heavy mod will pretty much destroy your hand. And if you're a beginner, than you shouldn't use a heavy mod. If you do, your hand will get used to the heaviness of the mod, and in the future, you won't be able to spin lighter mods, like a dc comssa. And besides, starting off with a light mod then slowly getting heavier and heavier mods will be much better, because then, you'll be able to spin all types of mods, heavy or light. And if you stick with a light mod throughout your penspinning life, spinning a heavy mod will just feel like a lot more momentum. Whereas if you start off with a heavy mod, when you try to spin a light mod, it will be like you have no momentum at all, thus causing you only to be able to spin one type of pen: the heavy one. All in all, as everyone else has said already, start with a light mod, and get heavier and heavier mods. Don't be a newbie that spins a buster. Please. I myself am a newbie, and i spin with a metal comssa, i'm soon just gonna spin with a normal dc comssa. Oh, and by the way, since heavier mods are generally easier to spin with (so much momentum) you CAN learn new tricks with it. I mean when you're learning a new trick, get it down a few times with the heavy mod, just so you know what the trick is supposed to feel like. Then, you can go back and spin your light mod, now knowing how the trick is supposed to feel, thus helping you learn it easier. I did this with a drumstick. Did the trick a few times, then switched back to a light mod, knowing how to do the trick.[/quote] I posted this in another thread a while ago Sorry, i just really hate busters xD

7. Twine
    Date: Sun, Mar 13 2011 18:32:30

Get your fingers out of your assholes guys... Dude, just buy a buster now. You're still going to want it for like ever so why not get it now? It will help you learn tricks easy as hell. Make sure you don't tws. sonic spam with it though; it feels awesome but it looks like shit. Go for it man :) Just buy it. Little side note: You will very likely find it too heavy. Signo tipped mods are awesome though! >>Everyone else that posted I spun a buster for like a year from 6 months to 1 and a half years and my spinning turned out fine.

8. TEK
    Date: Sun, Mar 13 2011 20:21:26

After you have mastered the fundamental tricks along with some links, passes, and just general pen spinning tricks. You then are ready to spin any pen you want. It's all a matter of what kind of pen spinning you want to pursue. If you want sterilized look like the japanese, a moderately weighted mod like a metalic comssa, mx, or waterfall would be best. If you want to show off that you dont need any momentum, choose a lighter mod like a bare comssa, f*3000, rushon, and so on. If you want to go for speed, momentum, and fingerless than heavier mods like a buster or kt are good choices. If your indecisive of what kind of spinning you want to go for, a moderate to heavy mods such as cheat comssa, kuzu, or my yelo mod would work well for all around spinning. But remember, its a general mod so it might not be the best for style, momentum-less, or fingerless as the other mods i mentioned above.

9. asdfcrow
    Date: Sun, Mar 13 2011 20:29:06

Personally, I'd say never. I've always thought CYL's were excessive.

10. TEK
    Date: Sun, Mar 13 2011 21:12:43

Nation wrote: Personally, I'd say never. I've always thought CYL's were excessive.
    They are in most cases. Like when you see someone using them for tricks other than power. I seriously think spinnerpeem wouldn't have been able to create the "power" genre if he didn't have a buster.

11. J74Q
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 00:47:13

Totally agreed. Yea Metallic Comssa is good. Or get a waterfall good too! Busters are meant to be for people who need to make use of the weight to continue their Eg. Bust @TEK You just mentioned this in your video :P

12. sangara
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 00:57:03

When ever you want to, no one actually knows what they're talking about. Except TEK he seems to have his head on straight.

13. AoD1
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 01:20:24

dont argue with TEK about pens.... you will lose.

14. tylt
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 01:30:15

Spin whatever pen makes penspinning the most fun for you. That's what all this hobby is about, having the most fun you can. A little wisdom that I received from an wise old spinner.

15. drgripable
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 02:02:42

I got mine at 3 months which to most of you is way too early, but it think, as a spinner, i turned out fine :)....but what happened to me is that i am now more attached to kts than busters or vicgotgame mods. After i went through a phase in which i was absolutely dependent upon my buster, i switched to rsvp mx's, kts, and making my own personal mods. Now, personally, i like spinning medium weight and medium-light mods.

16. Escorpio123
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 02:13:45

tylt wrote: [B]Spin whatever pen makes penspinning the most fun for you.[/B] That's what all this hobby is about, having the most fun you can. A little wisdom that I received from an wise old spinner.
    You can have fun, but the statement should sound better like this. "Spin whatever pen you feel comfortable, and with that, FUN comes around" ;).

17. Hippo2626
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 02:14:08

Personally I don't think that a buster is creating a very dull and "un-stylistic" school of spinners when newer spinners spin a buster but that could also stem from newer spinners only wanting to learn power tricks. Anyway's I don't think it's a good idea to get a buster too early but there's really too many variable that goes into when a spinner is ready for a buster. Long story short, whenever you want too (excluding before learning the fundamentals)

18. Van
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 21:49:04

never

19. akitaka
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 01:00:12

I agree with riley. Don't use a buster unless you do power tricks.

20. Nicetricks507
    Date: Mon, Mar 21 2011 03:33:59

Um...ok I see, thanks ? Lol. Well I'm not crazy when it comes to power tricks but buster looks pretty good imo because of it's momentum. Btw I'm not THAT nooby at pen spinning >.>..but would you actully learn/ practice power tricks with buster?