UPSB v4

Spammer's Bin / My argument still stands

1. Loanshark
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 04:43:32

K.

2. TheAafg
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 04:46:39

alright I have to agree with loanshark here. It makes no sense to have 2 boxes, there is only one box and thats it.

3. strat1227
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 04:47:15

@Loanshark fwiw i didn't ban you, dunno what happened shoeman said you spammed something i don't take arguments personally i was in debate lol i fully understand your point but there are 2 ways of looking at it, if you look at it with a different meaning (spammer's box in and of itself is ambiguous, much like most of english), then it works, really

4. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 04:48:58

no context ftw i hate when ppl post status on fb with no context too

5. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 04:49:40

I'd also like to point out that we are currently in the Spammer's Bin...

6. strat1227
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 04:55:08

think about it in this context: "a box for the modern day spammer" clearly thats's not referring to a specific or individual spammer, just "spammer" as a generic term for any given spammer @Loanshark

7. Awesome
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 04:55:20

Zombo wrote: no context ftw i hate when ppl post status on fb with no context too
    only cool people know whats up then thats cool right?

8. Loanshark
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 04:56:33

@Zombo it's just a discussion between Spammer's vs Spammers'

9. strat1227
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 04:58:42

@Loanshark sorry i added a mention to the post above. "spammer" can be a generic term for ANY GIVEN spammer, not just a specific one, that's the other context

10. nateiskewl
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 04:59:06

Zombo wrote: no context ftw i hate when ppl post status on fb with no context too
    ...and that's how I got AIDS. THE END

11. Loanshark
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:02:27

strat1227 wrote: think about it in this context: "a box for the modern day spammer" clearly thats's not referring to a specific or individual spammer, just "spammer" as a generic term for any given spammer @Loanshark
    I think this reasoning works only if you have an article in front A Spammer's Box surely makes sense but removing the A changes the reference of the box, since the whole point of A/An is purely reference

12. strat1227
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:02:57

@Loanshark or you could say "the art lover's paradise" or any number of other "singular" generic nouns obviously there's only one paradise and several art lovers, but "the art lover" refers to all of them, because they're all art lovers

13. strat1227
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:04:08

just saw your above post, my point is that without that reference it's ambiguous, it could mean EITHER. Taking away A doesn't preclude generalization edit: also earlier you said "a spammer's box" wouldn't make sense because then it'd be referring to a specific user, at least now you're understanding what i'm saying about general nouns, i guess i explained myself better now so the point is: it's ambiguous, and either works in the right context. because spammer's looks better, we go with that for pragmatism's sake

14. Loanshark
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:13:19

strat1227 wrote: @Loanshark sorry i added a mention to the post above. "spammer" can be a generic term for ANY GIVEN spammer, not just a specific one, that's the other context
    lol what are you apologizing for? no need man "spammer" alone doesn't make sense though. theres a big difference between "spammer" and "a spammer" "Spammer's Box" would make perfect sense if you had the article "A" in front of it, but you dont. so instead of being a generic term for ANY spammer, it becomes a general term for the whole group of spammers

15. strat1227
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:13:41

FUCK still haven't started studying for modern yet lol anyway like i always say, i have no problem i'm admitting i'm wrong if i am, but i have to be shown EXHAUSTIVELY that what i'm saying is incorrect or i'll fight it tooth and nail as for this, i still believe i'm right that "spammer's bin" is ambiguous and in the right context it can mean either/or and with that, i swear i'm going to do modern now

16. Loanshark
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:17:09

strat1227 wrote: @Loanshark or you could say "the art lover's paradise" or any number of other "singular" generic nouns obviously there's only one paradise and several art lovers, but "the art lover" refers to all of them, because they're all art lovers
    again, this example only works because you have the word "the" in front of it if it were just "art lover's paradise" you would be asking which art lovers The art lover's paradise? An art lover's paradise? Some art lover's paradise? the above 3, although similar in form, are different in meaning

17. Loanshark
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:18:51

strat1227 wrote: FUCK still haven't started studying for modern yet lol anyway like i always say, i have no problem i'm admitting i'm wrong if i am, but i have to be shown EXHAUSTIVELY that what i'm saying is incorrect or i'll fight it tooth and nail as for this, i still believe i'm right that "spammer's bin" is ambiguous and in the right context it can mean either/or and with that, i swear i'm going to do modern now
    yo, I will not stop. we're both stubborn and thick headed mkay

18. strat1227
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:21:52

strat1227 wrote: my point is that without that reference it's ambiguous, it could mean EITHER. Taking away A doesn't preclude generalization
    refer to this just because it doesn't EXPLICITLY mean it, doesn't mean it CAN'T mean it. spammer's box is ambiguous, with A in front of it it is general, and with THE in front if it it becomes specific come on you know this, english doens't have to have only one meaning, especially in just a phrase that's not even a complete sentence the words "spammer's bin" could have many different meanings, here it obviously does, i don't even understand what you're arguing anymore, just that the most obvious meaning isn't correct? i ceded that earlier but that doesn't mean anything because in other contexts it works

19. Awesome
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:26:13

Loanshark, you do know there are such things as implied words, right?

20. sangara
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:26:26

I agree with Loanshark.

21. nateiskewl
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:32:37

DICKS!

22. Loanshark
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:45:24

strat1227 wrote: refer to this just because it doesn't EXPLICITLY mean it, doesn't mean it CAN'T mean it. spammer's box is ambiguous, with A in front of it it is general, and with THE in front if it it becomes specific come on you know this, english doens't have to have only one meaning, especially in just a phrase that's not even a complete sentence the words "spammer's bin" could have many different meanings, here it obviously does, i don't even understand what you're arguing anymore, just that the most obvious meaning isn't correct? i ceded that earlier but that doesn't mean anything because in other contexts it works
    Okay, if I just [B]SAY[/B] "spammers bin" which meaning does would people think of? Spammer's Bin or Spammers' Bin Because of the fact that "Spammer's Bin" in an of itself makes a lot less sense WITHOUT an article, people wouldn't think of this meaning as often. Why? because "Spammers' Bin" just by itself actually makes sense WITHOUT the article. then obviously, people would go with the meaning that makes the most sense to them. English language is based around writing so that people can mostly understand it without such controversial ambiguous words and phrases like these. If it's correct in SOME context to use "Spammer's Bin" why would you still use it though if its MORE correct to use "Spammers' Bin" If you want to get the meaning of "Spammer's Bin" across, then English grammar dictates that you would have to explicitly use an article

23. strat1227
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:48:44

but you're not SAYING it, it's written, so people KNOW that it says spammer's bin. as such they have the option to A. realize the context and see that it's right or B. assume the mods are stupid i honestly don't care which it is lol, you obviously chose B but that doesn't make it true

24. Loanshark
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:49:42

find me a "Woman's Bathroom" sign and I'll take back everything I said or a "Man's Bathroom" sign

25. Awesome
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 05:52:12

Loanshark wrote: Okay, if I just [B]SAY[/B] "spammers bin" which meaning does would people think of? Spammer's Bin or Spammers' Bin Because of the fact that "Spammer's Bin" in an of itself makes a lot less sense WITHOUT an article, people wouldn't think of this meaning as often. Why? because "Spammers' Bin" just by itself actually makes sense WITHOUT the article. then obviously, people would go with the meaning that makes the most sense to them. English language is based around writing so that people can mostly understand it without such controversial ambiguous words and phrases like these. If it's correct in SOME context to use "Spammer's Bin" why would you still use it though if its MORE correct to use "Spammers' Bin" If you want to get the meaning of "Spammer's Bin" across, then English grammar dictates that you would have to explicitly use an article
    No, only in formal settings, in informal contexts implying such articles is fine, especially in titles where brevity is important

26. boshi
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 06:47:20

i love this song.

27. strat1227
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 07:04:14

Loanshark wrote: find me a "Woman's Bathroom" sign and I'll take back everything I said or a "Man's Bathroom" sign
    you're not even arguing against me anymore, you're just arguing the fact is you were at first arguing that "spammer's box" never makes sense, now you're arguing that it's not the first thing that comes to mind, which honestly i don't care about unless you come up with something new saying why spammer's bin is objectively incorrect (which you already agreed it wasn't) then we're done, you can say all you like that it should be named something else but unless what we already have is incorrect then it doesn't matter it's just your opinion ■

28. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 17:48:10

I agree with Loanshark :ssst: Spammer's Bin is a relic from UCPSB, we keep the name intact for nostalgia.

29. strat1227
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 17:57:48

lol we all agree with loanshark, that spammers' bin is the most obvious choice but even loanshark agrees with me that spammer's bin, in the right context, is correct so everyone agrees with everyone lol

30. Awesome
    Date: Wed, Mar 2 2011 23:24:48

yeah, but we try to keep that a secret

31. Loanshark
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 00:03:52

@strat1227 Lol I wanted to understand your argument and reasoning for this because I honestly didn't get it So today I asked my english teacher whether spammer's bin could be used instead of spammers' bin and i tried to argue your point (as best as i could xD) against my teacher who chose spammers' bin she said that spammer's bin works if and only if there's an article in the beginning but, being the stubborn jerk that I am, i continued to argue with your reasoning her further explanation to why it should be spammers' bin then went into the history of the english language, how sometimes in modern days, articles can be used archaicly (if that's a word), and all these other reasons that were more focused on usage over history, rather than straight up modern day grammar, and...I couldn't be bothered to remember any of that reasoning at all So yea... that's what my teacher said xD she could be wrong though, idk. she has been wrong in the past before

32. strat1227
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 00:08:56

lol "it only works with an article in front" that doesn't make any sense because it's obviously not a complete sentence, it's just part of a sentence so it's part of a sentence that may or may not have an article in front of it, problem solved.

33. Sc00t
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 00:12:50

is this really a 4 page thread? REALLY?

34. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 00:14:34

no its only 2, display more posts per page

35. Loanshark
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 00:15:44

it's still 1 for me

36. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 00:25:20

display less posts per page this thread is just right with two pages

37. Colin
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 00:35:09

k, so can someone explain to me whats going on? NO ENTIENDO. NO HABLO INGLES

38. strat1227
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 00:47:08

@Loanshark was trying to effect a change in the spammer's box name.

39. Froggy
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 01:06:06

you know.. why not just make a poll and let the community decides? peace -.-v PrinceXD

40. strat1227
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 01:18:09

we're not arguing about whether it should be changed (we're not going to change it regardless) we're just arguing about whether it's correct

41. SJ
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 01:20:13

bananas?

42. zweebna
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 01:48:22

It's bananas, b, a-n-a-n-a-s

43. Froggy
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 02:17:11

b an an as?

44. Sc00t
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 07:04:14

strat1227 wrote: we're not arguing about whether it should be changed (we're not going to change it regardless) we're just arguing about whether it's correct
    would only take Zombo like 2 seconds to change it lol i admin'd a vBulletin board before, it's really the easiest, most flexible forum software out there..

45. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 15:18:44

Stare wrote: would only take Zombo like 2 seconds to change it lol i admin'd a vBulletin board before, it's really the easiest, most flexible forum software out there..
    i dont even have to do it rofl, any mods can do it

46. strat1227
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 16:09:03

Stare wrote: would only take Zombo like 2 seconds to change it lol i admin'd a vBulletin board before, it's really the easiest, most flexible forum software out there..
    how on earth is that relevant, of course we COULD do it, I could change it to "STARE SUCKS!!!" in about 15 seconds if i wanted to :P