UPSB v4

Battlezone / Riley vs. Vortechs Beginners Tournament FINALS

1. Van
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 21:24:02

Riley [video=youtube;Ve9pZeOLafk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve9pZeOLafk[/video] Vortechs [video=youtube;IjpdV6Ua7x8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjpdV6Ua7x8[/video] GL to both of you!

2. walrus
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 21:57:27

wtf was that @ 0:19? and nice job vorechs on the first palmspin =D... how many spins was it?

3. drgripable
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 22:08:04

Nice combo vortechs :) though i wish there was a better finisher....was the palmspin from a TA? Riley, you never cease to amaze me lol

4. Vortechs
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 22:12:02

I wasn't planning on winning anyway, too much work. :)

5. Riley
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 22:20:48

Good luck Vortechs!! I'm so glad this is over, no more worrying about a due date/filming. I can now concentrate on my busts... :D Though this tournament has pushed me to improve A LOT.

6. drgripable
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 22:22:28

@Riley , yeah.thats why i wanted to continue -.-' i haven't really improved as much as i wanted

7. TheAafg
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 22:53:06

Nice combo's both of you :D

8. Van
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 22:56:15

@drgripable; u shouldve joined battles or set up one ur self ( like me :D)

9. brian685
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 23:00:42

@Vortechs..i love the end wher u go insane on the peace sign..epicness xD

10. Vortechs
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 23:12:05

lol

11. Van
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 23:30:07

@shoeman6 Judge plz; faster the better And anyone want to judge again for another tournament? I need one more from UPSB

12. JC
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 23:35:43

I'll just post my view on this battle here and skip the extra step of having to PM it. First off, I'd like to congratulate everyone in this tournament because I think everyone deserves praise for sticking with this all the way through, whether it's by participating or spectating, and I'm impressed with the success of this tournament which is hard to achieve at the beginner level due to usually a lack of commitment. So great job everyone! And especially good job Van for organizing this and doing his best for the tournament all the way through. Even though things were sometimes difficult, your ability to continue trying to go through with it is a wonderful trait. Next, I'd like to say that I'm very impressed with this level of spinning that you spinners have at <6 months. It may be true that this rapid improvement was a result of better tutorials and busters, but it is still amazing. And it's not like it's impossible to switch over to lighter pens to demonstrate you still have the skill to do that. Although it would not be a bad idea to switch on and off between light and heavy pens now, it's important for you all to just spin whatever you are most comfortable with. People may get hated on for spinning heavier pens, and I don't personally think it's the best path to only spin heavy pens especially at an early stage, but do what you wish...and even if it's a mistake, you can always fix mistakes later on. Things can always be seen as a learning experience; people who only spin light pens aren't necessarily doing the right thing either in that they aren't spinning to their full potential sometimes... but then again, there is never really a right or wrong. There is hardly any definite answers to many questions in pen spinning. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Now on to actually judging this battle and points of improvement. Vortechs: You had a pretty nice palm spin in the beginning, but that seemed like your only highlight in your combo. Try having a few highlights and spreading them out in your combo. This would require you to put some filler tricks (aka spam) in between a bit...but that's okay, as long as the highlights are spread out in the future, your combos will look a lot better. Ideally, you want to have no spam and have nice links and highlights all the way through...but that's something you can work bit by bit to achieve. Also work on your control; your execution on some tricks in this combo seemed to be a little sloppy. But good job overall nevertheless. Riley: Your spinning really amazes me; you are making it into my personal list of spinners who are like..geniuses...and became super good super fast. Though I would like to see you try spinning a smaller/lighter pen because currently the pens you spin are really big compared to your hand, but still, you are like another tigeroat or teotoko to me. I have nothing bad to say about this combo; you were smooth, had pretty good control, and a high level of difficulty. Just keep on doing what you're doing and you'll get far. Just keep on coming up with new linkages, learning new tricks, and making sure all the while your control can keep up with that. With that said, my vote for this battle goes to Riley.

13. Awesome
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 23:46:48

My sentiments reflect JC's, I was impressed by the videos in this tournament, spin what you want, follow your dreams, believe in yourself etc. etc. As for the battle Vortech's palm spin was nice, and I appreciate he tries to incorporate non-standard tricks into his combos. For being a "begginer" his combo is very impressive. Riley however has incredible difficulty and two handedness. Victor: Riley Good battle, I expect to see promising things out of both of you in the near future ;D

14. Vortechs
    Date: Mon, Feb 28 2011 00:00:23

@Riley Well it looks like I was right. Good Job Riley :) I will look forward to battling you another time in the future.

15. Riley
    Date: Mon, Feb 28 2011 00:04:57

Vortechs wrote: @Riley Well it looks like I was right. Good Job Riley :) I will look forward to battling you another time in the future.
    Great job to you too. Keep on spinning, and good luck in the future!

16. the noodler
    Date: Mon, Feb 28 2011 00:31:15

good job riley congratulations on winning good job vortechs too hope you do better next time and wow I hope I can be like this in a couple months

17. JC
    Date: Mon, Feb 28 2011 00:47:53

I'd also like to add.... even though I've been spinning for 3 1/2 yrs now, I'd be scared to battle Riley lol.... granted, I'm not that great for the time I've been spinning for but I still think this further adds to how good I think Riley is.. lol :X it's crazy..

18. Sam
    Date: Mon, Feb 28 2011 02:32:16

riley hand me some of the pen steroids. DAMN GOOD JOB.

19. spinnerhui
    Date: Mon, Feb 28 2011 02:40:32

good job Riley Vortechs as well, you were both awesome I would probably lose to both of you if I battled...nuff said xDDD

20. tacohead12
    Date: Mon, Feb 28 2011 04:05:03

Wth man. Riley is like beast already. I think I would lose in a battle against him o-o And crazy palmspin by vortechs, that must have taken alot of attempts haha

21. Escorpio123
    Date: Mon, Feb 28 2011 05:19:14

WOw RILEY, SO IMpressive, :O, like JC said, high level of difficulty which I love in a combo too :D. Vortech was amazing with the palmspin too, I love how his hand was steady. Good job to both of you ^_^.

22. Rarity
    Date: Mon, Feb 28 2011 11:39:47

Riley wins this one for me. Difficult combo! Now I know that I'm REALLY gonna lose the FFA battle. :(